What is a fair fare (mototaxi) for 1.4 km?

Hal65

I'm going from Insomnia to 200 meters into Soi Buakao, Google maps says this is about 1.4km. Taking 2 people.

Someone told me the mototaxis tend to quote high and you need to negotiate. I was shocked when he said he got his fare down to 100 baht from walking street to Klang Big C.

Edited by Hal65

Depends on the area and the route. Can be much cheaper in less central areas but around Bukhao in peak hours it'll be top rate.

Whatever the fare, if the bike is carrying two passengers it'll be doubled. 

Edited by lamyai3

Not sure what time of day you'd be doing this (isn't Insomnia a late-night club?) but you might consider Uber and/or Grab.  They both have decent mobile phone apps and would be more comfortable for two riders.  You can download the app, enter your origin/destination (before committing to a ride) and both apps will give you a fare.  Grab will be an absolute fare, but Uber gives a range of fares -- they calculate the final price including time and distance actually taken.

Even if it is late night, I believe the apps also let you reserve a ride in advance.  You could see if you get any driver to take you up on a pick-up at a time you specify in advance.

16 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Not sure what time of day you'd be doing this (isn't Insomnia a late-night club?) but you might consider Uber and/or Grab.  They both have decent mobile phone apps and would be more comfortable for two riders.  You can download the app, enter your origin/destination (before committing to a ride) and both apps will give you a fare.  Grab will be an absolute fare, but Uber gives a range of fares -- they calculate the final price including time and distance actually taken.

Even if it is late night, I believe the apps also let you reserve a ride in advance.  You could see if you get any driver to take you up on a pick-up at a time you specify in advance.

I wonder what price that would be for a short ride. Not feasible though, as I can't schedule an exact pickup time. Plus the wait would be inconvenient compared to jumping on a moto taxi that is right outside the club.

If I remember, I'll price the rides tonight at 3am.  I know Grab applies "surge pricing" during rush hours, but not sure if there's a "night premium."  As mentioned, though, also not sure of availability of Grab/Uber for on demand rides at that hour.

I believe OP is asking about a fair price for a standard motorbike taxi taken from the side of the road on a "I want it now, take me there" sort of basis. In that vein, I'm usually asked for about 140B from Chaiyapreuk 2 to South Pattaya, a distance of about 10Km. The return trip is more expensive, so it's more a question of where you start from, not the distance involved. The trip along 2nd road from Soi 13 to Soi 6 (A kilometre and a bit, 15 minute walk) costs not less than 60 Baht.

The more bikes waiting at a stand, the more expensive it's going to be, as they go to the back of the queue when they return. Simple economics - wait an hour in the queue - get a fare for 1Km and back to the end of the queue 10 minutes later; not worth their time if they don't get a good payment for that trip.

Walking Street to Big C on Klang for 100B seems like a bargain to me - what shocked you about it?

Land Transport Department fare regulations, which state:

Rides of two kilometers or less should not exceed 25 baht.

The third through fifth kilometer adds only 5 baht each to the fare.

Distances of more than five kilometers would remain negotiable.

Those overcharging will be subject to a 5,000 baht fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving license.

In reality there is no fixed or fair tariff. I am often charged 60bht to soi 15 WS from Cozy beach rd but asked for 100 going back....sometimes get it for 80. So WS to Threppasit ...about 80 at night. 40 would be a miracle as 40 is the price for anywhere no matter what the distance. E.g. cozy beach police station to kinnaree. I walk everywhere where and when ever I can.

Edited by The manic

On 9/12/2017 at 9:37 PM, wpcoe said:

A quick look at my Grab history shows my shortest trip was 1.3km and was B80.  A 2.4km ride was B120.

On 9/12/2017 at 9:40 PM, topt said:

I bet they weren't at 3am though.......

Otherwise surprisingly reasonable :thumbsup:

Tonight I finally remembered to check the rates at 03.00h:

The 1.3km trip was still quoting B80.

The 2.4km trip was quoting B110.

And there were lots of little car icons all over Pattaya which I think means locations of available on-duty cars?

Grab runs fairly frequent promos, and right now there is a promo for B70 off of each of three rides in Pattaya, so the 1.3km trip above would only be B5.  Try getting *that* from a moto-sai driver.  :biggrin:

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, pegman said:

Walking St to past Theppressit in Jomtien is  ฿60 so your much shorter route should be no more than  ฿40 each. One or 2 bikes same price in total.

LOL. What it should be does not apply.

The price is what is agreed.

Less opportunity to catch a baht bus increases the price.

Thai is why I would always walk that distance, or further depending on the hotel, if it was past time for the baht buses to be running. However, given the OP is talking about Insomnia and two people, I'm assuming the young lady will not want to walk that far in her club heels. Apologies if I'm assuming wrong.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:11 PM, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Land Transport Department fare regulations, which state:

Rides of two kilometers or less should not exceed 25 baht.

The third through fifth kilometer adds only 5 baht each to the fare.

Distances of more than five kilometers would remain negotiable.

Those overcharging will be subject to a 5,000 baht fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving license.

Forget that. Some places where there's no alternative or competition they won't move for under 60 baht. I don't think many motorbike taxis give a shit about the Land Transport fare regulations. What are you going to do if they quote high? Report them?

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 9/18/2017 at 8:37 AM, steven100 said:

not forgetting ... 100bht is about AUD$4 .00  .... 

jeeze .....   try and even get in a taxi for that anywhere else   !!   :shock1:

If we wanted to pay more we'd live somewhere else.

When you've been living in Thailand for a long time, you don't think in back-home currencies. 

On 9/18/2017 at 5:58 AM, bartender100 said:

I never said it was legal, the question was about the price for 2 on a bike

I understand, but if you're not going to get a deal for 2, take 2 bikes. I would never go 3 up on a motorbike taxi myself as I'm too heavy for those tiny bikes, but many do - and IMO it's stupid (dangerous) unless there's no other taxi nearby to take the 2nd person and you're in a desperate hurry.