3 back to back visa runs to Vientiane?

Hi there, just hoping for some advice.

I've done my last 2 visa runs in Vientiane for 60 day Tourist visas. I have to do one final visa run before I leave Thailand, and am wondering if going back to Vientiane for a third time would potentially raise some flags. (full disclosure: In total, I have 5 Tourist visas in my passport, 2 are from Penang, 1 from Toronto, dating back to March, 2016)

Also, in my passport I currently have 3 visa exempts from 2016 - none for 2017. Do you think I could get stopped if I try for a visa exempt? Do the officers check the dates or just count the stamps?

Thanks very much; I appreciate your insight!

The officers receive a notice on their computer when you reach 6 Visa Exempt entries.  I never had an issue until I did a one day out & back flight to HCMC for my 7th Visa Exempt entry, and then I was taken aside and asked some questions and ultimately sent on my way with a stamp and a recommendation to get a visa next time.  The general wisdom is that the land borders are no issue for your 2 VE per year, just avoid Poipet and Sadao and have your 20k just in case.  AFAIK, you get a red stamp on your final visa issue saying not to come back.  I've seen it said that you get 4 visas from Vientiane before the red stamp, but that's just hearsay.

How about going to Hong Kong or Penang for a Visa run this time?

I've also done back to back Visa runs to Vientiane and I can say that looking back Im not gonna go there again.  First time I flew to Udon Thani, then took the bus to Thai border then to Khai, then another bus to Vientiane then a Tuk tuk to my hotel, had to spend 3 days there just for the Visa. 2nd time I just took a plane from Don Mueng to Vientiane but still dreaded being there just to apply for Visa since theres really nothing else to do there and I didn't like having to negotiate tuk tuk drivers all the time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, acenase said:

...Vientiane but still dreaded being there just to apply for Visa since theres really nothing else to do there and I didn't like having to negotiate tuk tuk drivers all the time.

Agreed that the tuk-tuk rudeness / scammyness is the worst part of being in Vientiane or Savanahket.  My wife was shocked when a driver tried to skip returning change on an pre-agreed-price ride.  Renting a bicycle is a good suggestion to avoid these absolutely nasty tuk-tuk drivers - highly recommended for a more pleasant overall experience in Laos.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

I would go for a Visa exempt now and extend the stay for 30 days then at a Thai Immigration in TH.

to mix things up -

or, if you need 2+1 month time,  go to Phnom Penh and make a Visa with an Agent. :wink:

Double-check with the agent you plan to use in Cambodia, and verify if you can still get expedited service (Lucky, Lucky told me this was not available any more) - unless you plan to spend a about a week there, anyway. 

On 12/9/2560 at 1:44 PM, thecyclist said:

You will probably get another one, but more likely than not it will come with the red warning stamp.But since it's gonna be your last one, that wouldn't matter.Alternatively , try Phnom Penh, where you go through an agent:no need wasting time lining up for hours.

My idea would that be too. :smile:

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Double-check with the agent you plan to use in Cambodia, and verify if you can still get expedited service (Lucky, Lucky told me this was not available any more) - unless you plan to spend a about a week there, anyway. 

Does the OP,  need -expedited- service?

Last information from August - see LINK to Thread above in my other posting,  is -

"  They ask for $1000 / person  in bank statement or atm receipt providing proof of the money.

The also ask for flight ticket out of thailand printed out. 

I used an agent he charged $25 to sort out my missing flight ticket.

I submitted my visa on wednesday got it by Friday.

They processed my visa by the next day but they state they do it in 2 working days.

The agent said it may be 4 days sometimes.

Online bank statements  printed out was enough.

The agent said If you dont have proof of the $1000 he cant help but if you have all they do visas just fine."

Nearly, business as usual :wink: