What is the VERY BEST thing about living in Thailand??

fashionablesally

Coming from the U.S and still new here, i will say that the best thing about Thailand for me is how affordable the food is. Thai street food is so amazing and the street vendors are all usually so polite. Everything is so fresh and so diverse compared to the states. Although i am still new. I can definitely see myself spending a lifetime here. It would be nice if some of you could share your favorite thing about living here. There are so many reasons but if you had to pick one what would it be?...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a male-dominted forum I suspect you are going to be dismayed by quite a few of the responses to your question.

For me if I have to choose one thing (and there are so many) it would be the Thai people.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 .........

The low cost of living. As a recent retiree, my home country savings will go much farther here than they would there.

There are countries where they would go even farther of course. But in most of those, it isn't safe for a white person to walk down the street after dark. Thailand hits that sweet spot; undeveloped enough that it is cheap to live here, but developed enough that you don't have to worry about someone pulling a gun or knife on you if you go out after dark.

Mainly the weather, I just could not stand another -15 degrees weather with Snow and Ice, the cost of living, a damn sight cheaper than the UK, the people, generally very nice until they get behind the wheel of a car :whistling: My Mrs, she's a Diamond.

Is that enough for you :smile:

Plentiful no-nonsense P and low cost of living aside:

Relative ease in which the avg westerner and most developing nationals can visit with Visa Exempt, Tourist, or Non immigrant visa and stay for several months at a time.

Not all developing countries have such a concise visa process.

2 hours ago, fashionablesally said:

It would be nice if some of you could share your favorite thing about living here. There are so many reasons but if you had to pick one what would it be?...

not changing summer tyres to winter tyres and vice versa :wink:

You are responsible for your own risk taking. As opposed to western nations were risk taking is banned, because we are considered to all have the intelligence of the stupidest members of society.  I am sure by this time next year adults will have to be use special car seats just like their ten year old children are now. Probably helmets for anyone going outside their homes too.

3 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

me thinks you do not live in down town BKK

But downtown BKK does not represent all of Thailand.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I haven't shut the front gate in years, in fact when we resurfaced the drive a few years ago we buried the gate runner.

Edited by billd766
bad spelling and grammar

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I haven't shut the front gate in years, in fact when we resurfaced the drive a few years ago we buried the gate runner.

Nice part of the world, been there a couple of times, liked it both times.

Quote - Thai street food is so amazing

Yep, got to love that MSG, salt, sugar and chemical seasoning. Yummy

P.S.

Oh .. and those farm fresh fruit and veg with insecticide marinades. Delicious

Edited by maxpower

In many ways Thailand is a much more free country than the over regulated and very poorly governed US these days. It's also doesn't have the pure volume of activist idiots irresponsibly abusing the few rights we have left.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Grocery store shopping.  Every city where I have lived in Thailand either inside the grocery store or a short walk away were a plethora of amusements for those of us who are still sexually active.  Not to say other countries don't cater to this market but not in such a lively and varied way as Thailand does.  Lotus, Tops and Friendship to me all have alternative more accurate meanings than the companies intended. 

The fact that I can go to the bank at 8 PM on Sunday night (Mall branch) or that I can get a haircut almost anytime of day (exception Wednesdays). And of course, 24 hour 7-11 and family Mart on every corner, and food vendors right off the train on the way home. The ultimate convenience society...there are a few costs to that convenience but well worth it.

I recall many times in the US, did not go shopping and the nearest convenience store either too far away or closed after 8 PM...so had to make due with whatever is in the pantry...and needing a haircut to boot because I could not get to the barber before 5 PM !

58 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Still a relatively low cost of living compared to the west and the weather!

Housing is the big one....most other things are similar cost if one wants similar quality. But having said that....I pay only 1/5th of what I would pay on the east coast of the US for similar accommodation so it is huge.

Edited by tonray

the best thing for me is my wife and beloved dog in any order.being able to have,good steak,sausages,bacon,the odd can of good cider and not forgetting home made chips,and peace and quiet.

not enough room to posts the NOT LIKES.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

yes true so why not  state the area  from which your experience is relevant too