What is the VERY BEST thing about living in Thailand??

fashionablesally

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It seems every gas station is also a convenience mart in most areas, but if you live in a questionable urban area it may be dangerous--which is why I carry my Kahr Elite, with a concealed carry permit, of course.

Another plus for being here.. Don't need to play cops and robbers just to visit a damn convenience store! 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

yes true so why not  state the area  from which your experience is relevant too

Well I used to live in BKK at Embassy Place apartments opposite the British Embassy in the mid 1990s and worked Monday to Friday all over Issan for 4 years. When I came back in 2001 I used to live in BKK at Sukhumvit 93 for 3 years. Now I live right next to the Mae Wong national park and have done since 2004.

I figure that 7 years experience of BKK is fairly relevant, wouldn't you think?

How about telling us all about your relevant experience.

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Another plus for being here.. Don't need to play cops and robbers just to visit a damn convenience store! 

I've had a gun pulled on me twice here in the last ten years. I have to admit, I've had a gun pulled on me in the states, but only once.

3 hours ago, uffe123 said:

At this point, none at all. It used to be a good place to live, but cost of living is now at par to my home country. One certainly wont live long here if in Bangkok. The particulate in the air is 50% over the limit of the world health organization  limits. Of course the Thai government wont tell anyone or print this.

Traffic is horrible, don't know how people put up wit waiting for hours on the road. There are other thing that one cannot print or say, or you will be taken in for an attitude adjustment, or deported.

So tell me what is good about any more?

But BKK does not represent the whole of Thailand any more than London represents the whole of the UK, or Paris and France, Berlin and Germany, Lahore and Pakistan etc.

There are lots of great places in Thailand but it depends on what you want of of life in Thailand.

1 hour ago, thaijoe said:

1st thing is the girls, then the street food thats already cooked. I don't know where the people in here think this place is cheap. a lot of thing here is the same price back home, only the rent is cheap in some area's. to buy pork, beef is the same dam price if not more. 2 lbs of ground pork at makro is 180 baht, i just bought it, that equals the average say 5-6 dollars.. wow big savings, same if you ask me, bread 33 baht = 1 dollar. same. 1 bottle of fanta red pop 17 baht.- 50 cents, same,,, so tell me it is cheaper here, BS, my electric bill is 3,000 for a size room no bigger than my living room, where i pay back home that same price for electric in winter for the whole dam house half that in summer.

you guys should start comparing the prices again. have a  good day

I pay about 130 baht for a kilo of pork at the local market and grind it myself  and I get to choose what cut I want and it is delivered to my door, beef is a bit more expensive but my wife gets that from the big village 15 km away and chooses what cut she wants. I make my own bread.

I cant tell you the price of Fanta red but a 1.25 litre of coca cola is 26 baht in 7/11. 2 litres is 35 or 37 baht.

My electicity bill is high because I run 2 houses, 2 freezers and 2 fridge freezers, there are always 2 or 3 fans and lights on 24/7.

Apart from the electricity bill you should look around different food shops and markets.

12 hours ago, maxpower said:

Quote - Thai street food is so amazing

Yep, got to love that MSG, salt, sugar and chemical seasoning. Yummy

P.S.

Oh .. and those farm fresh fruit and veg with insecticide marinades. Delicious

Not mentioning lack of hygiene for almost all Street food vendors, frying ten of times in same palm oil etc....  

For me, in order of importance:

1/ my own small swimming pool (in Europe I didn't even dream of that)

2/ the 3 rai garden of my wife, with flowers, vegetables and fruit trees

3/ the cool dry season october > march (the other 6 months we are in Europe)

4/ the freedom to build a cheap house to my liking / to my needs - yes it will last only 10 years, but so what? I will not last another 10 years myself.

5/ durian 555 my favourite fruit

Mind you, if I were still young, I would say all the above is sooooooooo boring.

2 hours ago, thaijoe said:

1st thing is the girls, then the street food thats already cooked. I don't know where the people in here think this place is cheap. a lot of thing here is the same price back home, only the rent is cheap in some area's. to buy pork, beef is the same dam price if not more. 2 lbs of ground pork at makro is 180 baht, i just bought it, that equals the average say 5-6 dollars.. wow big savings, same if you ask me, bread 33 baht = 1 dollar. same. 1 bottle of fanta red pop 17 baht.- 50 cents, same,,, so tell me it is cheaper here, BS, my electric bill is 3,000 for a size room no bigger than my living room, where i pay back home that same price for electric in winter for the whole dam house half that in summer.

you guys should start comparing the prices again. have a  good day

you are getting totally ripped off on your electric bill mate.  either that or you have loads of aircon all day.  in chiang mai, i had a large 3 bedroom house, used fans mainly, and my bill was never more than 600 baht a month.  I agree with you about buying food in Makro, Tesco, etc.  Its same as in UK (and in US), but why cook?  dont have to! I eat three great meals a day for 120 baht in total (I live in Hua Hin now so more expensive).  In Chiang Mai, I could easily eat out 3 times for 90 baht in total.  Gym price 9,000 baht a year.  Petrol much cheaper than UK.  Whats the problem?  ha ha

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I pay about 130 baht for a kilo of pork at the local market and grind it myself  and I get to choose what cut I want and it is delivered to my door, beef is a bit more expensive but my wife gets that from the big village 15 km away and chooses what cut she wants. I make my own bread.

I cant tell you the price of Fanta red but a 1.25 litre of coca cola is 26 baht in 7/11. 2 litres is 35 or 37 baht.

My electicity bill is high because I run 2 houses, 2 freezers and 2 fridge freezers, there are always 2 or 3 fans and lights on 24/7.

Apart from the electricity bill you should look around different food shops and markets.

We have a 2100 sf house 3br/3ba with a separate good sized office area plus another large, long utility room with is divided into 3 sections for screening - large dining room table & area + small workout/gym area with fridge....

2  big fridges, fans running contantly + a/c when it gets uncomfortable ....Family of 4 with all the conveniences including large flat screens......Seldom does our elec bill get near 1500฿......Even in the hot season, one time it reached 1700 & my wife was stunned and upset....

29 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

you are getting totally ripped off on your electric bill mate.  either that or you have loads of aircon all day.  in chiang mai, i had a large 3 bedroom house, used fans mainly, and my bill was never more than 600 baht a month.  I agree with you about buying food in Makro, Tesco, etc.  Its same as in UK (and in US), but why cook?  dont have to! I eat three great meals a day for 120 baht in total (I live in Hua Hin now so more expensive).  In Chiang Mai, I could easily eat out 3 times for 90 baht in total.  Gym price 9,000 baht a year.  Petrol much cheaper than UK.  Whats the problem?  ha ha

Neither of my freezers seem to switch off, and one is so old that I thing if I did anything to it, the damn thing would die on me out of spite.

38 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

I eat three great meals a day for 120 baht in total (I live in Hua Hin now so more expensive).  In Chiang Mai, I could easily eat out 3 times for 90 baht in total.

you could save a lot of money if you forego the Iranian caviar and the French champagne :whistling:

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

It seems every gas station is also a convenience mart in most areas, but if you live in a questionable urban area it may be dangerous--which is why I carry my Kahr Elite, with a concealed carry permit, of course.

How many enemies do you think you have?

My hobby.  Some people rent jet skis or motorcycles I rent 20 year old go go dancers.  The price comparison between Thailand and Nevada or NYC, is just breathtaking.  I mean it's not just a small difference in price it's an awesome difference.

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

My hobby.  Some people rent jet skis or motorcycles I rent 20 year old go go dancers.  The price comparison between Thailand and Nevada or NYC, is just breathtaking.  I mean it's not just a small difference in price it's an awesome difference.

Adult women scare you?

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Adult women scare you?

Last time I checked 20 year old was an adult.  It has been a while since I was 20 but when I was I fought a war and felt pretty adult at the time.  If you are not an adult at 20 maybe you should seek help. 

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Last time I checked 20 year old was an adult.  It has been a while since I was 20 but when I was I fought a war and felt pretty adult at the time.  If you are not an adult at 20 maybe you should seek help. 

PS. Are you referring to WWI?