New thin beer can size, why?

pattjock

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just drink the beer! That is if you can´t find a better choise of brand, that will say. You want same much. Buy some more. Always look at the bright sida of life... :whistling:

Had a few sherberts have we lol

• 3 weeks later...

The reason why you’re seeing more of this slimmer can drink design is ingenious!

In recent years, you might have seen that the design of can drinks seems to be changing to a slimmer and taller form. Most of us consumers won’t care much about the shape, since all we want is more content at a lower price. But have you ever sat back and wondered why there’s been a change? Well, if so, here’s some explanation for you. Our research online (i.e. Googling) doesn’t show any official reasons, nor any explanation from soda manufacturers. The change just occurred, but people who are in the industry, or experts in can drinks, have been providing some premises that are pretty relevant.

http://goodyfeed.com/the-reason-why-youre-seeing-more-of-this-slimmer-can-drink-design-is-ingenious/

It's actually a cost reduction for the brewery. Total aluminum used to make a can is less. Because the top lid rim has lots of edge folds to properly seal the can, a smaller diameter can means less metal used.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That would be true for the diameter reduction of the open end of the can, cans over the years have been “ necked “ down to reduce the cost of material in the lid.
When the 2 piece ( body of can with lid on one end only ) can was invented the lid was the same diameter as the can 211 ( 2 11/16” ), now the lid has been reduced to 200 (2”) creating great metal saving. This means that the neck of the can has to be reduced a lot to meet the lid ( no mean feat ) so an actual reduced body diameter creates an easier can to manufacture, I.e. less reduction of neck.

But, there are many theories on the reason for the reduction in diameter of beverage cans.

Easier to hold.
Quicker to chill, more surface area of liquid.
More product to fit fridge shelving ( unlikely IMO ).
A simple marketing strategy, people like something new, something modern !
Easier manufacturing, as above.

I don't really buy any of the above reasons for the new can.

The top of the can is still the same diameter so there is no material saving for less fold.

The "necked" can is easily made by the existing machinery. The new can will cost a lot in re-tooling.

The total material used in both cans is virtually the same.

The cooling down faster argument is by far negated by the warming up faster argument.

You can store more new cans in a display fridge if it is optimized for these cans, if optimized for the old cans it will not make a difference.

My fridge is optimized for bottles and that means that I can store two old cans on top of each other as well, not so with the new cans which means less new cans in the fridge.

Beer drinkers are real men and they don't want to hold this new tiny can like a shot glass, they also do not want something new and modern, with some exemptions.

Anyway, to my original question: Have anyone seen any condoms for these new cans?

The most likely answer is smaller lid cost lesser too manufacture .I worked for Coca-Cola in 80s all the companies introduced the  recessed can we currently have /mmmm had well slowly disappearing . The lid is more complicated to make than the can part . Cost savings as little as half a cent probably lesser per lid can add lots to bottom line too makers . 

38 minutes ago, Rusty63 said:

The most likely answer is smaller lid cost lesser too manufacture .I worked for Coca-Cola in 80s all the companies introduced the  recessed can we currently have /mmmm had well slowly disappearing . The lid is more complicated to make than the can part . Cost savings as little as half a cent probably lesser per lid can add lots to bottom line too makers . 

The lid is the same size on the old and the new can. The old can is tapered at the top to enable it to use the same top size as the new can.

18 minutes ago, pattjock said:

The lid is the same size on the old and the new can. The old can is tapered at the top to enable it to use the same top size as the new can.

Thanks Pattjock I wasn,t aware of that . Please disregard my comment .

15 hours ago, jerojero said:

It's actually a cost reduction for the brewery. Total aluminum used to make a can is less. Because the top lid rim has lots of edge folds to properly seal the can, a smaller diameter can means less metal used.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No that's not correct.  The cylindrical can with the least surface area for a given volume would short and squat.  That's one of the classic problems that high school kids learn to solve in Calculus I. 

Edited by suzannegoh