airbnb, first experience not so good! beware

ryanhull

On 7/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, goegoe said:

hello, is it true that airbnb price is not clear and that there is always a cleaning fee (that can be 500 thb) to add to the price ? And it's not written on the booking page ? Thanks.

All fees and charges must be listed when booking. Report anything else to Airbnb.

• Like 1

Good hotels are so cheap in Thailand, why do you cheap charlies want to use AirBnB?
What kind of lame reply is that ? We choose AirBNB to live in an apartment , with kitchen, maybe cook our own food. And it can be more expensive than hotels. A nice condo with swimming pool and gym , cheaper than a 3 star hotel. Got nothing to do with being a CC.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, balo said:
10 hours ago, Henryford said:
Good hotels are so cheap in Thailand, why do you cheap charlies want to use AirBnB?

What kind of lame reply is that ? We choose AirBNB to live in an apartment , with kitchen, maybe cook our own food. And it can be more expensive than hotels. A nice condo with swimming pool and gym , cheaper than a 3 star hotel. Got nothing to do with being a CC.

Agree with this.  I have made AirBnB reservations in BKK a couple of times for friends and they have always enjoyed the stay.  Read the listing carefully, look at reviews, etc.  Always nice to have a bit of room to spread out, cook inside, etc.

Also one time rented a short stay house south of Hua His (though on Homeaway, and not AirBnB).  If you do your homework (and it helps if you are familiar with the general location of the rental), most of the time it will turn out okay.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 10:49 AM, goegoe said:

The problem is that airbnb is not clear.

Booking.com is a lot better in my opinion.

I dont like aany of these booking agencies.  I hate paying in advance.  I think they increase prices and block book rooms in hotels giving the impression they are full when they are not. Always deal with a hotel direct.

• Haha 1

I've used Airbnb in a number of countries.  Some experiences good, some bad.  Airbnb itself says on its site that you should not pay anything at all outside its payment system, and it's probably also a good idea to only communicate with the host through the Airbnb system.  That way if there's a problem, and you need to sort it out with Airbnb, they have a record of everything that transpired. 

There's a lot of dodgy stuff happening on Airbnb now that it has become so popular and agencies and others who are not real "hosts" have got into the game.  I take my time when booking, read EVERYTHING about the place being offered, question the host for more information if something isn't clear, and look elsewhere if ANYTHING about the place or the host seems iffy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

I've used Airbnb in a number of countries.  Some experiences good, some bad.  Airbnb itself says on its site that you should not pay anything at all outside its payment system, and it's probably also a good idea to only communicate with the host through the Airbnb system.  That way if there's a problem, and you need to sort it out with Airbnb, they have a record of everything that transpired. 

There's a lot of dodgy stuff happening on Airbnb now that it has become so popular and agencies and others who are not real "hosts" have got into the game.  I take my time when booking, read EVERYTHING about the place being offered, question the host for more information if something isn't clear, and look elsewhere if ANYTHING about the place or the host seems iffy. 

Maybe you hava lot of time to waste.

With booking.com I do not have to check anything and know in advance that I won't be cheated by anyone.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, goegoe said:

With booking.com I do not have to check anything

So what?  it can be a lousy hotel right ?  You still need to read the reviews to find out if the guests are happy or you can end up being disspointed there as well . 

Same with AirBNB , you can't compare the two , because you rent a full home with kitchen and everything. 

I’ve tried a few Airbnb. Some bad, mostly good experiences. However I’ve decided to join one hotel group and their rewards program rather than trying to get the absolute cheapest accommodation every time and so far it’s working out well.

• Haha 1