Tropical storm “Doksuri” to bring rain to North, Northeast Sept 15-16

webfact

Tropical storm “Doksuri” to bring rain to North, Northeast Sept 15-16

By Thai PBS

1309011.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tropical storm “Doksuri”, which is now over the upper South China Sea, is likely to bring rain, with torrential downpours, to the Northeast and the North on Sept 15-16, according to the Thai Meteorological Department’s forecast at 11am on Wednesday (Sept 13).

The storm, with maximum sustained winds of about 75 knots, is moving in the westerly direction at the speed of 15 kilometres per hour. It is forecast to move past Hai Nan, China, and make a landfall over upper Vietnam by Friday (Sept 15).

As a result, there will be more rain, with torrential downpours, in the Northeast and the North on Friday and Saturday.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tropical-storm-doksuri-bring-rain-north-northeast-sept-15-16/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-13

Amazing amont of rain we've had in the NE this year. They're still repairing collapsed bridges from the three-day downpour of last month.

I pump my water up from underground so the more rain the better as far as I'm concerned. And my wife hasn't had to spend two hours a day watering the garden for months.

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I pump my water up from underground so the more rain the better as far as I'm concerned. And my wife hasn't had to spend two hours a day watering the garden for months.

Recently, someone told me that rain water does not go down deep enough to reach underground aquifers. (An aquifer is an underground layer of water from which groundwater can be extracted.)

The man is one of those people who install underground pumps to bring water to the surface for domestic use. Does any learned member of TV know whether this is correct? 

It is important because I also pump all water that we need from underground. I actually ran out of ground water before the recent rains.

Thank you.   

It depens on wether you have e well  ( about 8 meters deep ) or a drilling.( a lot deeper). Now a dayes it is normaly a drill that is used, as it goes down to rearly kleen water.

The water in a drill is not efekted by rain, as the water takes up to 20 years to get down to it.

16 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

It depens on wether you have e well  ( about 8 meters deep ) or a drilling.( a lot deeper). Now a dayes it is normaly a drill that is used, as it goes down to rearly kleen water.

The water in a drill is not efekted by rain, as the water takes up to 20 years to get down to it.

You really should use "spell-check" or buy a dictionary.. English !!!

Why do people always have to be so pedantic,  petulant and negative on these forums.  Someone who is probably not British national makes a legible, but still comprehensible spelling mistake is ridiculed for no real reason.

When live in a multi cultural society.  Get over yourself. 

59 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

OK. Then I will stop writing replayes. I do not rearly care. The replay was not ment for you 'hotchilli' anyway..

Dont worry about the ning nongs like hot chilli on this forum and keep writing what you want.

3 hours ago, peergin said:

Recently, someone told me that rain water does not go down deep enough to reach underground aquifers. (An aquifer is an underground layer of water from which groundwater can be extracted.)

The man is one of those people who install underground pumps to bring water to the surface for domestic use. Does any learned member of TV know whether this is correct? 

It is important because I also pump all water that we need from underground. I actually ran out of ground water before the recent rains.

Thank you.   

An aquifer is usually deep below the ground, like we could be talking hundreds of meters or even kilometres, its that depth that creates the pressure to push water up to the surface in the form of springs and alike

Ground water is something different, and can be topped up by seasonal rains, albeit it may take sometime unless that is easy access via, surface ponds, swamps and general areas of swampy water etc. ... a lot also depends on whether your pump has simply been drilled into a stagnant underground pool, or is in fact in or on the edge of an underground river ... these 'rivers' can be detected from the air as green belts winding their way through the suburbs or rice fields, just like 'normal' rivers, they can also rise and fall between seasons, the water usually smells fresher, doesn't stain white painted walls and is often ideal for washing cars as the water doesn't leave "Drying Marks" like town water supplies with a % of chlorine and other chemicals in it etc. ... Believe it or not, this is where divining comes into itself, we have a large block of land, after divining the land, and feeling 'twitches' in the forked stick, we dug a well. It holds a fairly constant level at only 5m's deep, to max of 9m's and usually only rises and falls a few meters throughout the year ... we have 33 people living from the one well .... about 400m's away, a Dr. friend of mine had to go to 25m's to get his water which smells putrid ... observing the landscape, there are some huge trees sparsely scattered over several klms (Like 40m's ++ high), these trees suck up water at a for nominal rate proving these must be a huge volume of water nearby .... sue enough, once I got Google Earth years ago, I could trace the pattern of a huge underground river that must wind its way around our village and through rice fields etc. ... large trees benefit from this water resource, whilst on the surface, its as dry as a bone in the dry season

Sorry for the lecture ... I tend to get carried away ....

1 hour ago, Jorgendk said: '' The water in a drill is not efekted by rain, as the water takes up to 20 years to get down to it.'' 

This is good news as I have a bore-hole over 50 meters deep and a leach field nearby for my septic tank.... so the washing up water, dishwasher detergents, bath water plus all the other contents of a septic tank won't be tasted for a good few years yet ... by then I will not be around to sample them.

1 hour ago, Jorgendk said:

Phonetic English eh ? .... cute .... keep it up !

Rain, especially slow steady rain refills the underground aqua-firs.

If you live on an island like we do, There is no magic well, no rain no water to replenish the aqua-fir.

if you have an open well just take a look in the well at the water level, observation will show you how the ground water varies with rain fall, no rain no water simple. rain needs to be steady and not to hard or most will wash into the sea using the Soi's as klongs. About 85% of the rain goes to the sea as we have no major dedicated catchment areas here on Samui.

Want to know the water situation on Samui, just observe the water tanker truck activity it follows closely with the rain we get.

Just a comment about spelling and grammar, English is not the native language of most of our member so can we ease up on the spelling and grammar comments.

We are not school children!

2 minutes ago, Humpy said:

1 hour ago, Jorgendk said: '' The water in a drill is not efekted by rain, as the water takes up to 20 years to get down to it.'' 

This is good news as I have a bore-hole over 50 meters deep and a leach field nearby for my septic tank.... so the washing up water, dishwasher detergents, bath water plus all the other contents of a septic tank won't be tasted for a good few years yet ... by then I will not be around to sample them.

Good point ... the 'WHO' here in Laos recommend that bores/wells are kept at a minimum of 100m's away from septic areas, more if possible, regardless of depth of the well, once the septic water has broken the clay soils above, it can rapidly head down through the sandy soils or broken rock further below

38 minutes ago, ksamuiguy said:

Rain, especially slow steady rain refills the underground aqua-firs.

If you live on an island like we do, There is no magic well, no rain no water to replenish the aqua-fir.

if you have an open well just take a look in the well at the water level, observation will show you how the ground water varies with rain fall, no rain no water simple. rain needs to be steady and not to hard or most will wash into the sea using the Soi's as klongs. About 85% of the rain goes to the sea as we have no major dedicated catchment areas here on Samui.

Want to know the water situation on Samui, just observe the water tanker truck activity it follows closely with the rain we get.

Just a comment about spelling and grammar, English is not the native language of most of our member so can we ease up on the spelling and grammar comments.

We are not school children!

Or School Teachers either !!!!

2 hours ago, Jorgendk said:

OK. Then I will stop writing replayes. I do not rearly care. The replay was not ment for you 'hotchilli' anyway..

Don't care about .. I guess "hotchilli" is the old grumpy teacher out of the Pink Floyd movie "another brick in the wall" hunting for spelling mistakes :-)

Edited by CH1961
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, British Bulldog said:

An aquifer is usually deep below the ground, like we could be talking hundreds of meters or even kilometres, its that depth that creates the pressure to push water up to the surface in the form of springs and alike

Ground water is something different, and can be topped up by seasonal rains, albeit it may take sometime unless that is easy access via, surface ponds, swamps and general areas of swampy water etc. ... a lot also depends on whether your pump has simply been drilled into a stagnant underground pool, or is in fact in or on the edge of an underground river ... these 'rivers' can be detected from the air as green belts winding their way through the suburbs or rice fields, just like 'normal' rivers, they can also rise and fall between seasons, the water usually smells fresher, doesn't stain white painted walls and is often ideal for washing cars as the water doesn't leave "Drying Marks" like town water supplies with a % of chlorine and other chemicals in it etc. ... Believe it or not, this is where divining comes into itself, we have a large block of land, after divining the land, and feeling 'twitches' in the forked stick, we dug a well. It holds a fairly constant level at only 5m's deep, to max of 9m's and usually only rises and falls a few meters throughout the year ... we have 33 people living from the one well .... about 400m's away, a Dr. friend of mine had to go to 25m's to get his water which smells putrid ... observing the landscape, there are some huge trees sparsely scattered over several klms (Like 40m's ++ high), these trees suck up water at a for nominal rate proving these must be a huge volume of water nearby .... sue enough, once I got Google Earth years ago, I could trace the pattern of a huge underground river that must wind its way around our village and through rice fields etc. ... large trees benefit from this water resource, whilst on the surface, its as dry as a bone in the dry season

Sorry for the lecture ... I tend to get carried away ....

Your lecture was very interesting. I'm guessing we draw from an underground river as it has no smell and is very clean. Our current depth is 16 metres. I say current because some years ago we drew from a few metres away and that dried up.

It's possible that our river, if that is what it is, originates in some hills about 6 or 7 kms from us, although ironically the village at the very foot of the hills has no water.

6 hours ago, peergin said:

Thank you.   

Let me give it a try to answer - groundwater abstraction is the industry I work in.    First, to be a bit contentious water possibly is never wasted  it's never consumed, it just rotates around in a cycle - That Singha beer consumed does release all its water back into that cycle.  

An aquifer is just porous ground that can store water - you must have seen the clever teacher fill a glass with sand and ask the class 'is this full'? 'Yes' they say, then he pours in a glass of water.   Sand, even clay, cracked rock, porous limestones all can store huge amounts of water.  from inches to 1000's m deep.  Example most sand river beds in a dry river bed will store water just under its surface.

So pertinent to North East of Thailand & Bangkok - it rains and a huge percentage of the water will flow into streams,  rivers and fill dams and if rain too abundant flood the Chao Phraya river basin as Bangkok cannot pass the over abundance of flow into the Gulf.   However, a good proportion of water will soak away into the soil and this is 're-charge' into the underlying aquifer systems.    Water will also be absorbed into plants and evaporate back into the cycle. Man has buggered up the rate of groundwater recharge in places - notably Thailand deforestation has made it easier for more water to run off than soak away for recharge.   Hence appeals to replant and generally address the issue of reducing run off.    Concrete & Tarmac also hinder recharge.  

To manage groundwater storage is just like a current bank account with deposits and withdrawals.  So Peergin in last dry years your well has gone dry - your spending has exceeded the deposits - and you need an overdraft.    A basic monitoring system is to check the water level (account balance) in your well - if you have record rains this year one would expect it to be high - yes there is a time lapse between rain fall and measured well re-charge this is very variable according to the geology.  Most shallow well systems only days or weeks.   then as you pass into dry season the well level will in some cases drop - in fragile & limited storage aquifers it can dry a lot and 'go dry'  - just as a surface dam operates.

Man has in many cases misunderstood this process and groundwater over-abstraction is a big issue.  India pumps out more groundwater than is recharged but rely heavily on groundwater - they have a big problem,  Bangkok is said to be sinking 2cm per year because of over-abstraction,  California, Mid US & Chalk Downs of UK all 'broken the rules'.     Thailand is in general well resourced with current issues surfacing at times of drought. 

^^^^^
Fascinating and informative. Thank you. I have a well, which I use to refill my tank when the village water supply fails, which it does fairly regularly. The village has doubled in size since the water supply was put in and the system can't always cope. When pressure is low the "puu ban" turns off various sectors - never the one he lives in!

All I know is on Saturday night I was out on the scooter, got a flat tire and had to wait for them to fix it. I went for a beer and a hour later I went back for my bike. Well the heavens decided I needed to get wet on the outside as well. One of the heaviest storms we have had here in Uttaradit for a while. I had to wring my shirt out before I went in, plus the lightening strikes fixed many a peoples constipation issues.

OK the storm is right outside my window!!  I am in Naklua , Pattaya and the heavy wind is incredible , it started suddenly 1 hour ago .  

Lots of lightning and thunder , it will be an interesting night.   Just had to save all my stuff from the balcony , this storm is big. 

On 9/14/2017 at 6:14 AM, hotchilli said:

You really should use "spell-check" or buy a dictionary.. English !!!

I thought grammar Nazis were banned from this forum. Unless they are a news outlet who uses English for a living, we don't throw shade on genuine replies.