I've decided I should pick up some Thai language skills.

RobFord

So, I'm tired of not having a clue what's going on around me and would like to learn a little Thai. Actually I would like to learn a lot of Thai, but realize that's never going to happen.

Can anyone recommend Thai language classes in Chiang Mai? I'd like to be able to pick up every second word. I'm looking for zero pressure, and zero testing. Conversational Thai, I could care less if they understand me, but would like to understand them.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took AUA classes. There were no tests in these classes. AUA offers several 'levels' of instruction, so perhaps in the immersion-type classes tests are given. We were in conversation classes, and it was all fun and games.

I know the way this old brain works now. I'm likely to understand, but parrot it back, forget about it.

I just want to soak it up and parrot it back with everyone else. Can't bare to embarrass myself. I know, false pride.

Hello Mr Mayor!

I would suggest you find any school that does introductory classes for conversation. The great advantage is that everyone is just as bad as you are, so it is not too embarrassing. The truth is that you'll pick up a lot more from your fellow school mates than you will from the teacher. It is a great way to get some of the very basics.

After that, you should be able to find a cheap, freelance teacher for private lessons.

Worked for me!

Good luck and good decision.

3rd floor of Panthip Plaza.

Do the introductory course again and again and again, until you're comfortable with it. Then move onto the next level. The courses are cheap as chips if you don't want the visa (not sure they still offer the visa), and its pretty laid back.

Good on you for wanting to learn. My wife and I try to use some Thai but for me it is a battle to recognise the tones. I actually speak reasonable Indonesian because I studied it at university and I worked there and my skills were appreciated and made a real difference to my enjoyment. However my efforts to speak Thai for the last 7 years have been a struggle and I also really wish I could pick up a workable grasp. I think your desire to learn is commendable and I wish you success.

This may be more of a time investment than you care to make, but the tones didn't "make sense" until I learned to read Thai.  Yes, learning to read Thai and the same time you're trying to speak (or at least learning to listen) can make the process more drawn out, but in the end, it sticks with you.  I find that having the ability to read Thai pays off almost everyday, in the stores, the hospital, while figuring out a new appliance, on the roads, etc.  Heck, I even read Thai subtitles on the TV when we have the volume turned down for some reason.  (I do wish they'd leave the subtitles up on the screen a bit longer, however)

And for those of you who say you're "tone deaf" because of age or whatever, you're never too old to learn to read Thai.  Actually, it's a pretty cool written language. 99% of the words follows the same rules, unlike English, with every letter,  or letter grouping having just one correct pronouncation.  (Can you say that about English?  Nope.)    Yeah, it would be nice if they put space between the words, but you get over it.  

Good advice Nancy. Learning the vowels, consonants and tone rules helps sort out the sounds. It is also helpful when the teacher shows the student how to hold the mouth to create sounds we are unfamiliar with. MaPrang is an excellent teacher.

MaPrang Language School Sermsuk Rd. Same building as Corner Bistro next door to Croco Pizza.

081 022 4540

MaPrang.png

Edited by jmd8800

20 hours ago, NancyL said:

This may be more of a time investment than you care to make, but the tones didn't "make sense" until I learned to read Thai.  Yes, learning to read Thai and the same time you're trying to speak (or at least learning to listen) can make the process more drawn out, but in the end, it sticks with you.  I find that having the ability to read Thai pays off almost everyday, in the stores, the hospital, while figuring out a new appliance, on the roads, etc.  Heck, I even read Thai subtitles on the TV when we have the volume turned down for some reason.  (I do wish they'd leave the subtitles up on the screen a bit longer, however)

And for those of you who say you're "tone deaf" because of age or whatever, you're never too old to learn to read Thai.  Actually, it's a pretty cool written language. 99% of the words follows the same rules, unlike English, with every letter,  or letter grouping having just one correct pronouncation.  (Can you say that about English?  Nope.)    Yeah, it would be nice if they put space between the words, but you get over it.  

I agree with Nancy. Learning to read is a key. I did a couple of conversation based courses (YMCA and Payap) and it just never stuck. I decided I needed to learn to read. that made all the difference. If you are willing to pay a bit - and I personally believe that it is overpriced at the moment - I highly recommend Learn Thai From a White Guy which you can find here: https://learnthaifromawhiteguy.com/. It is the best researched and organized program I have found. You can even try 4 lessons for free before signing up. By the way, I'm not connected with the site in any way. I paid for the course too. :)

As for tones, just remember that we use all the same tones in English that are used in Thai, we just use them in different contexts. 

David

It's all a bit tricky.  From what I've observed, most westerners are incapable of assessing their own Thai language ability.  They *think* they speak Thai.  I have friends and acquaintances who think they speak Thai, but their pronunciation is so poor they are not understandable.  The Thais will politely say your Thai is not clear, that is if they don't want money out of you.

To compound the problem, a long term Thai partner will eventually figure out what the westerner is trying to say and will understand.  So we have the issue, "But my Thai wife understands me."  And of course the standard Thai line "You speak Thai good," said in Thai, when there is a possibility of money flowing from the westerner to the Thai person.

Suggest finding a one on one tutor who is not afraid to tell you what you don't want to hear and of course speaking Thai as often as possible with as many Thai people as possible.

The OP says he wants to understand more than to speak.  He says he wants to understand everyother word, then he thinks he will get it.  Listening is the hardest skill to learn.  Understanding everyother word will not give understanding of the conversation, it might identify the topic but certainly not the content.  Missing one word in a conversation can result in a total lack of understanding.

So unfortunately the OP has some serious misconceptions built in to his goals.

1 hour ago, mesquite said:

It's all a bit tricky.  From what I've observed, most westerners are incapable of assessing their own Thai language ability.  They *think* they speak Thai.  I have friends and acquaintances who think they speak Thai, but their pronunciation is so poor they are not understandable.  The Thais will politely say your Thai is not clear, that is if they don't want money out of you.

To compound the problem, a long term Thai partner will eventually figure out what the westerner is trying to say and will understand.  So we have the issue, "But my Thai wife understands me."  And of course the standard Thai line "You speak Thai good," said in Thai, when there is a possibility of money flowing from the westerner to the Thai person.

Suggest finding a one on one tutor who is not afraid to tell you what you don't want to hear and of course speaking Thai as often as possible with as many Thai people as possible.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know, if you are realistic.

Good points. I've also found they won't correct you.

I asked a Thai woman what Thai with an English accent sounded like, she said with a small smile, mumbling.

Nothing sexy about it.

The OP says he wants to understand more than to speak.  He says he wants to understand everyother word, then he thinks he will get it.  Listening is the hardest skill to learn.  Understanding everyother word will not give understanding of the conversation, it might identify the topic but certainly not the content.  Missing one word in a conversation can result in a total lack of understanding.

So unfortunately the OP has some serious misconceptions built in to his goals.

The OP won't be reading Thai contract law. The OP doesn't care.

The simple answer is learn it one word at a time and try and remember that Thai is not a translation of English language... I do find speaking easier than full comprehension... I cannot tell you what tone everything is but I am pretty good at mimicking the sound of a word and speaking in sentences, I am easily understood when I miss a tone... sort of like in English, you sign a contract, you contract a disease... but if mispronounced in context, you will still be understood...

But, it takes time and patience - and is very very rewarding when you can converse... and fun too. Thai are very funny and not speaking, you miss out on a lot. 

Try and learn as a child does... good luck. 

And I have met people who did AUA in CM and were speaking pretty well after only 6 months... 

Edited by kenk24

Mesquite is correct in my opinion.

Through the years, in my experience I have found that most Westerners that say they can speak Thai really can't.  I have come across relatively few that can speak Thai..... they don't tell many people that they can.  

By the way, I consider myself unable to speak Thai.

If someone thinks they can speak Thai, and they want to test that ability... they should go far into the country and try speaking with Thais that do not have much contact with Westerners.

Edited by hml367

Mesquite is correct in my opinion.

Through the years, in my experience I have found that most Westerners that say they can speak Thai really can't.  I have come across relatively few that can speak Thai..... they don't tell many people that they can.  

By the way, I consider myself unable to speak Thai.

If someone thinks they can speak Thai, and they want to test that ability... they should go far into the country and try speaking with Thais that do not have much contact with Westerners.

There are so many different dialects and languages spoken in Thailand that the GF doesn't understand half the time.

Good luck mumbling them all.

IMG_0467.PNG.322d7aedb0e6acc363d3f808437c67dc.PNG

On 9/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, jmd8800 said:

... Learning the vowels, consonants and tone rules helps sort out the sounds...

Way back upon a time, a farang acquaintance of mine learned a different version of that children's letter chart.  Very impolite, but funny.  For example, Gaw - goo, Yoah -yet maa, doh-daak and so forth. Unholy, but made one laugh and remember.  He did well in Thai high society, I think.