It's a wait and see game - smokers and drinkers will discover tax fate on Saturday

webfact

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the joys of living on the boarder of a low tax country.....the wife made a trip across the Mekong last week with friends....a half bottle as a gift to someone on the way back over 20 Baht to cross---and she arrived home with 2 cases of Lao beer-4 bottles assorted whiskey's- 8 bottles of French/Australian wine I had picked out from her video phone call , and 2 great big hot French loaves. I asked her if we were expecting guest..no was her reply,

So why did you buy so much F@##  bread then..?..............:coffee1:

Anyone been down and checked 7/11 prices yet..?....Managed to pick up 50 cases of C yesterday..pls loads of others before Makro started restricting sales (2 x boxes each)...was rather busy...One young Thai lassie in front of us was buying the very expensive blue Vod/Whisky /Wine stuff..suggested a big party...she agreed...and handed over 120,000 Bt...wow...Its Pzzing down cats and dogs up here and Pick Up full of welding gear,wooden building materials...MDF......etc ..so dont want it to get wet...hence question...Otherwise will looksee later today...assuming the rain goes off..Gao...

Edited by Rinrada

For wine made from grapes ,the tax rate is Bt1,500 per litre of alcoholic content for a wine bottle not exceeding Bt1,000.

The rate for wine made from grapes mixed with other fruits is 10 per cent of the price and Bt150 per litre of alcoholic content. 

10 times higher tax for the alcohol in wine made from grapes.

For the health of the thai people :)

Saturday morning and went into town to stock up on drink & cigarettes before the prices went up.

The usual shop was closed and locked up. The backup shop wasn't selling "waiting for the new prices from the government".

In all my life I have never been in a situation anywhere in the world  where a forthcoming price hike is announced by a government but they don't say what it will be.

And why don't the shops know what it will be? They can't sell the stuff and after they get the new prices they've got a massive job to update their pricelists/databases/computers.

It's just an unfathomable fiasco.

TIT

13 minutes ago, Alantct said:

More confused after reading than I was before. emoji23.pngemoji23.png
It's ridiculous and totally cloak and dagger smoke and mirrors tactics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too much to get confused about. A case of my favorite p!ss at makro goes up 22% so increases from (last purchase) 880 baht to roughly 1075 baht. And father-out-law's bottle of premium lao khao simply skyrockets from 98 baht to about 100 baht.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Subjects that are not on the curriculum at any military academy or barracks that I know of.

Real military academies in countries with real militaries teach business, management, economics, and other practical subjects necessary in the real world.

Don't confuse the Thai military with a proper military.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Well- here it is Saturday and no notice of the new excise tax or how it will affect consumers. The reporting on this issue  by the media has been dismal. Either the tax is so complex no one can figure it out or they simply don't care to ask. Typical Thai response to everything- I'll worry about it tomorrow.  As far as I am concerned- if the bars put the cost p more than I think is fair- I won't be drinking. One bar I know of  has already raised their wine prices by 20%.  Ridiculous.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1002508-sharp-tax-hike-on-alcohol-and-tobacco-effective-immediately/

12 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Not the barn yard quality lao khao, no.

I see an opening market for laboratory equipment.

Coming soon: Bangkok 9: The Issan-Lanna Revenuers Connection -
Untouchable Sonchai "Elliot Ness" Jitpleecheep battles the burgeoning trade of 'bathtub rice whisky" in Northern and Northeastern Thailand to save the peasant farmers and the poor from themselves and bring Buddhist morality to the masses by all means necessary.  A morality play.

1 hour ago, TenFour said:

Breaking news on The Nation's website says that the actual increase on a bottle of beer will be 2.66 Baht

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326861

Obviously this got a lot of pre-implementation hype.  They should have just published this when they announced the tax increase.  So they aren't going to toss the frog in a pot of boiling water.  They'll just leave the frog in a pot of warm water and apply heat.  

Not too much to get confused about. A case of my favorite p!ss at makro goes up 22% so increases from (last purchase) 880 baht to roughly 1075 baht. And father-out-law's bottle of premium lao khao simply skyrockets from 98 baht to about 100 baht.

Now see the ironic thing about you saying it's not confusing is your actually wrong [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, recycler said:

To brew for own consumption is no problem and all ingredients and equipment is available mail order in Thailand. Any refrigerator can be set to fermentation temperatures using an override thermostat, my second hand wine fridge does a great job! Water is delivered at home in 19 liter bottles, perfect for brewing, remember beer is a trick to make undrinkable water drinkable, so you can even use tapwater. Cost price can be as low as 40 Baht per liter and you don't need a lot of space, 2 burners and the fridge and some box to keep your grains etc. Almost forget to mention after a little bit of practice you'll never want to buy beer anymore!

Can you supply any info on home brew suppliers? Something I was thinking about, even before the tax hike.

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

not true at all mate. some story from the sister of an english guy on holiday who got fined. blown out of all proportion

Sorry, I think you are wrong! - from the Gov.UK website - Foreign Travel and Advice - Local laws and customs section:--

"You can’t bring vaporisers (like e-cigarettes and e-baraku) or refills into Thailand. These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted. The sale or supply of e-cigarettes and similar devices is also banned and you could face a heavy fine or up to 5 years imprisonment if found guilty. Several British Nationals have been arrested for possession of vaporisers and e-cigarettes."

Just now, sambum said:

Sorry, I think you are wrong! - from the Gov.UK website - Foreign Travel and Advice - Local laws and customs section:--

"You can’t bring vaporisers (like e-cigarettes and e-baraku) or refills into Thailand. These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted. The sale or supply of e-cigarettes and similar devices is also banned and you could face a heavy fine or up to 5 years imprisonment if found guilty. Several British Nationals have been arrested for possession of vaporisers and e-cigarettes."

ok. the next time someone is jailed for having an ecig let me know. not going to happen

19 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

ok. the next time someone is jailed for having an ecig let me know. not going to happen

OK - If you want to ignore the advice given by the UK Government, as they say here, "up to you", but I certainly wouldn't be taking the risk! It's like saying that the death penalty in Thailand doesn't apply because nobody has been executed since 2009!

Edited by sambum

On 9/14/2017 at 10:30 PM, madmitch said:

Different sources are coming up with different prognostications. I don't even think a Thai fortune teller would be able to say what will happen tomorrow. 

An excessive increase will almost certainly affect what remains of the Western tourist industry.

Retired expats are leaving in droves looking for better places, which do exist.  In 2015 LOS was listed as #18.  They're going downhill from there.  Thailand is well on it's way to authoritarian rule as corruption is a way of life and the ability of a foreigner to trust anything in their "new home" erodes to zero.  A new stab-in-the-back tax will fill the airport for a long time, no short time.

7 hours ago, tomkenet said:

For wine made from grapes ,the tax rate is Bt1,500 per litre of alcoholic content for a wine bottle not exceeding Bt1,000.

The rate for wine made from grapes mixed with other fruits is 10 per cent of the price and Bt150 per litre of alcoholic content. 

10 times higher tax for the alcohol in wine made from grapes.

For the health of the thai people :)

For everybodies health, less drunks on the road.