Tourists warned not to stand on rail track to take pictures of Tha Chompoo bridge

webfact

Tourists warned not to stand on rail track to take pictures

By Thai PBS

lamphun1.jpg

LAMPHUN: -- Tourists were warned not to stand on rail track to take pictures of Tha Chompoo bridge in Mae Tha district of Lamphun for the sake of their safety.

This latest warning came from a train mechanic who claimed he had a near-miss with a group of tourists who stood on the rail track to take photos of the bridge on Wednesday (Sept 13).

The mechanic who did not identify himself posted an image of the tourist group in a Facebook group of Lamphun residents.  He said he was driving a locomotive to pull some carriages to Doi Khun Tarn when he saw a group of tourists standing on the rail track busily taking photos of the bridge.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourists-warned-not-stand-rail-track-take-pictures/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-15

I never seen much over 30 years of checking trains involved in fatalities (UK diesel depot) most humans basically explode at line speed if hit full on, use to mainly see bits of hair/bone fragments and what looked like tenderised steak around the metal work under running gear... Now beef and horses on the other hand, they used to come in quite a bit of a mess, blood, $ hi t and crap all over and the stench....?

Body parts and limbs, heads etc were normally found on line side/pway, but yeah I would never top myself via a train, not fair on the driver either, most I kne reckoned they always gave a smile just before impact (thats the fatality, not the driver... by the way)

Hey. Our village made national news. Don't stand on the railway tracks. Lol
Funny thing is, people usually stand on the bridge and take a picture with the bridge and the Doi Khun Tan mountains in the background. Whoever took this picture was standing on the bridge and the folks in the picture would have been standing right about where the train is. Hummm! Actually, you have a clear view about 1 km each direction. A train isn't going to 'sneak up on you' when you aren't looking.  But then again, there are alway those aspiring Darwin Award winners looking for their chance to make the news.  
And it's not the Tachampu Bridge.  It's the Saphan Khao Bridge (The White Bridge) and Saphan Khao Park.  Nice day trip out this direction.  Doi Khun Tan National Park (100 THB for Farang / 10 THB for Thais lol), the Doi KhunTan railway station built during WWII with POW labor, Gassan Golf Course (18 hole and discount on green fee this time of year), another new 9 hole golf course that has just opened (don't know it's name), and Saphan Khao Park (free, but don't stand on the railway tracks! 
:thumbsup:).  
If you see a farang, 50/50 chance it's me.  Only two of us out in this 35 km long valley.  :smile:

Tha-Chomphu-Bridge-Youtube.jpg.9d43eadf3d788312689ef9a7454e9c41.jpg
Edited by connda

Tourists, my arse . . . 5'll get you 10, those are Thai arms, legs and heads (eg all black haired) and the soi dog pretty well gives the show away, saying "Come on, you guys . . . this is boring". The lengths some people will go to for a bit of fake news. :post-4641-1156693976:

38 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

No, you cant actually unless he blows the horn and then its probably too late

Exactly right....it is surprising how quiet a train is when you are in front of it. Most people hear trains from the side, and yes, they can be noisy. From the front while standing on the tracks.....nope....easy for a train to sneak up on you unawares.

I recall working on a broken down tamping machine that we couldn't move of the track (in outback Queensland I should add). The once a day express stopped directly behind me and I was not aware it was there until I looked up. Of course we had all the safety precautions in place - percussion caps on the line etc etc.

Edited by tryasimight

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

Exactly right....it is surprising how quiet a train is when you are in front of it. Most people hear trains from the side, and yes, they can be noisy. From the front while standing on the tracks.....nope....easy for a train to sneak up on you unawares.

Yes  it's  surprising how quiet they are if you are in front of the train with your back to it