Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt

rooster59

Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt

By Kate Holton

640x640 (8).jpg

Forensic investigators search on the platform at Parsons Green tube station in London, Britain, September 15, 2017. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested an 18-year-old man in the port of Dover and raided a house in a small town outside London on Saturday as they hunted for whoever planted a bomb on a commuter train that injured 30 people a day earlier.

Prime Minister Theresa May put Britain on the highest security level of "critical" late on Friday, meaning another attack may be imminent, and deployed soldiers and armed police to strategic locations such as nuclear plants and defence sites.

In what authorities called a "very significant" development, officers arrested a man at about 7.50 a.m. (0650 GMT) in Dover, from where passenger ferries sail to France. Five hours later they raided a property in Sunbury, a commuter town southwest of London, and evacuated nearby premises as a precaution.

Reuters photographs showed police cordons in a modest suburban street in Sunbury, in the county of Surrey, around 11 miles (18 km) from Parsons Green where the bomb exploded.

"This is a very significant arrest. The police have made very good progress but the operation is ongoing," said interior minister Amber Rudd, adding that the threat level remained at "critical".

"There is no doubt that this was a serious IED (improvised explosive device) and it was good fortune that it did so little damage."

In what was the fifth major terrorism attack in Britain this year, the home-made bomb shot flames through a packed commuter train during the Friday morning rush hour in west London but apparently failed to detonate fully.

The militant group Islamic State claimed responsibility.

According to media reports, the bomb was attached to a timer, unlike other recent blasts which have typically been suicide bombs.

Pictures showed a slightly charred white plastic bucket with wires coming out of the top in a supermarket shopping bag on the floor of a train carriage.

The Parsons Green station where the attack took place reopened by Saturday morning.

Armed police patrolled the streets of London near government departments in Westminster and were guarding Premier League soccer grounds hosting matches on Saturday, including the national stadium at Wembley.

Cressida Dick, Britain's top police officer, sought to reassure the public as she joined colleagues patrolling the entertainment district on the south bank of the Thames.

"Yesterday we saw a cowardly and indiscriminate attack which could have resulted in many lives being lost," she said. "London has not stopped after other terrible attacks and it will not stop after this one."

CRITICAL THREAT LEVEL

The last time Britain was put on "critical" alert was after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a concert by the American singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in May.

The threat level remained at the highest setting for four days while police raced to establish if the man had worked alone or with the help of others. Prior to that it had not been triggered since 2007.

Prime Minister May said the public should not be alarmed by armed officers on the streets, a rare sight in Britain. "This is a proportionate and sensible step which will provide extra reassurance and protection while the investigation progresses," she said in a televised statement late on Friday.

The bomb struck as passengers were travelling to the centre of the British capital. Some suffered burns and others were injured in a stampede to escape from the station, one of the above-ground stops on the Underground network. Health officials said none was thought to be in a serious condition.

"I was on the second carriage from the back. I just heard a kind of 'whoosh'. I looked up and saw the whole carriage engulfed in flames making its way towards me," Ola Fayankinnu told Reuters.

"There were phones, hats, bags all over the place and when I looked back I saw a bag with flames."

Islamic State has claimed other attacks in Britain this year, including two in London and the Manchester pop concert.

Western intelligence officials have questioned similar claims in the past, saying that while Islamic State's jihadist ideology may have inspired some attackers, there is scant evidence that it has orchestrated attacks.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-17

I'm waiting to hear from Baron Dubs, Gary Linekar and JK Rowling about the latest news. Does anyone remember the bearded child migrant fiasco where it was stated clear as day that these children were a)not children and b)potentially posing a serious threat to the Brits while offering zero benefit in return? Well, the chickens have come home to roost and there is plenty to crow about. If any good comes of this the whole refugee program will be cancelled forever. This is proof that the doubters were right all along.

Terror expert, ex SAS-man and the man that last month predicted this train attack Mr Phil Campion suggests that all known terrorists be rounded up and detained,all the thousands of them. He claims it is too dangerous leaving them on the streets. I suggest it is time Mr Campion is taken seriously.

I'm waiting to hear from Baron Dubs, Gary Linekar and JK Rowling about the latest news. Does anyone remember the bearded child migrant fiasco where it was stated clear as day that these children were a)not children and b)potentially posing a serious threat to the Brits while offering zero benefit in return? Well, the chickens have come home to roost and there is plenty to crow about. If any good comes of this the whole refugee program will be cancelled forever. This is proof that the doubters were right all along.
 Terror expert, ex SAS-man and the man that last month predicted this train attack Mr Phil Campion suggests that all known terrorists be rounded up and detained,all the thousands of them. He claims it is too dangerous leaving them on the streets. I suggest it is time Mr Campion is taken seriously.

Its funny that the Doves have their say , yet the Hawks just get the Raceist Card.May i remind those cant round them up wimps that the Arabs rounded up every Thai and posted em all back home.Not for Murderin Arabs , but because a Thai stole some Bauble from a Prince..even so just wait for the replies from the let em in mob here.[emoji68]?‍[emoji310]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He is 18 ,but being "fostered" by an old couple who foster many children , they are also "fostering" another immigrant  child of 22 , now while i applaud the fact that this couple foster children ,why are they "fostering adult immigrant "children" and why are these"children" even allowed into the country .?

29 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

He is 18 ,but being "fostered" by an old couple who foster many children , they are also "fostering" another immigrant  child of 22 , now while i applaud the fact that this couple foster children ,why are they "fostering adult immigrant "children" and why are these"children" even allowed into the country .?

One of the agreements for unaccompanied children aged 18 and under into the UK was the Dubs Agreement which permitted 350 asylum seekers entry; now terminated. There would be other agreements such as the UNHCR resettlement program for those positively vetted as refugees. At this stage, regards the individual arrested there are no details, normal procedure whilst being assessed as whether to charge or not, so any further comment would be merely speculation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/10/why-has-the-uk-ended-its-dubs-child-refugee-scheme

One of the suspects arrested over this crime is a refugee; therefore, according to some, all refugees are terrorists.

Well, let's apply that same logic to a different situation. Three years ago a man named Robert Hastings was arrested by Thai police at a school in Udon Thanai because he was wanted by British police for a string of paedophile offences. He was later convicted in a UK court and sentenced to 15 and a half years.

So using the same logic, all British men in Thailand are paedophiles on the run from the British police!

Which is, of course, a ludicrous assumption and totally untrue.

One of the suspects arrested over this crime is a refugee; therefore, according to some, all refugees are terrorists.

Well, let's apply that same logic to a different situation. Three years ago a man named Robert Hastings was arrested by Thai police at a school in Udon Thanai because he was wanted by British police for a string of paedophile offences. He was later convicted in a UK court and sentenced to 15 and a half years.

So using the same logic, all British men in Thailand are paedophiles on the run from the British police!

Which is, of course, a ludicrous assumption and totally untrue.

Keep trying your protestations get more desperate by the post,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't know anyone who is making that extreme claim; what we do know is that a small number of them are terrorists, probably not more than 1%. 

And so the more refugees the UK invites in, the more terrorists it imports, who enjoy randomly killing British citizens.

That would be enough for any sensible government to start putting curbs on refugee entries.

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Maybe one day you'll actually back up your opinions with some facts; but I'm not holding my breath.

I am with Claudious on this The "Facts" speak for themselves , all the terrorist acts carried out so far are by muslim immigrants , therefore i am sorry but i am for throwing the baby out with the bathwater , dont let any of them in .and for all the bleeding hearts , tough .

Edited by bert bloggs

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I am with Claudious on this The "Facts" speak for themselves , all the terrorist acts carried out so far are by muslim immigrants , therefore i am sorry but i am for throwing the baby out with the bathwater , dont let any of them in .and for all the bleeding hearts , tough .

Wrong; Most Islamic terrorist atrocities carried out in the UK have been perpetrated by British citizens born in the UK.

Of course Islamic terrorism is the biggest security threat we face in the UK today, but not all terrorist attacks in the UK since 7/7/2005 have been carried out by Islamic extremists. The letter bomb campaign by Miles Cooper in 2007; the murder of Mohammed Saleem and attempted bombings by Ukrainian student Pavlo Lapshyn in 2013; the murder of Jo Cox MP in 2016 being three examples.

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Wrong; Most Islamic terrorist atrocities carried out in the UK have been perpetrated by British citizens born in the UK.

Of course Islamic terrorism is the biggest security threat we face in the UK today, but not all terrorist attacks in the UK since 7/7/2005 have been carried out by Islamic extremists. The letter bomb campaign by Miles Cooper in 2007; the murder of Mohammed Saleem and attempted bombings by Ukrainian student Pavlo Lapshyn in 2013; the murder of Jo Cox MP in 2016 being three examples.

Keep trying ,as we all know your attempts at trying to show us other"terror" incidents get more desperate by the post .

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Keep trying ,as we all know your attempts at trying to show us other"terror" incidents get more desperate by the post .

There is no need to personally attack 7x7, all he is doing is highlighting, by way of factual examples your false claim that "all the terrorist acts carried out so far are by muslim immigrants". In fact, deliberate misinformation is in breach of Forum Rule #2.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

There is no need to personally attack 7x7, all he is doing is highlighting, by way of factual examples your false claim that "all the terrorist acts carried out so far are by muslim immigrants". In fact, deliberate misinformation is in breach of Forum Rule #2.

i can only say that 7by 7 and yourself both seem to have the same arguments and the same sort of posts , i was not Personally attacking him,and no not ALL terrorist acts are carried out by muslims , i amend that to 99% of terrorist attacks seem to be carried out by the religion of peace . sorry once again . 

I have very little sympathy for the feminine instinct to nurture and cosset these Muslim terrorists, especially when it is displayed by men.

A reporter, originally from Afghanistan, recently toured the European refugee camps garnering the viewpoints of so-called refugees. His findings should give cause for concern among even the most feminine-oriented of men.

The young Afghan who was dressed like a dancer from a cheap hip-hop clip on MTV said, “One day we good Muslims will conquer their infidel lands.” I [reporter Burak Bekdil] asked why he was receiving “infidel” money for living. “It’s just halal,” he answered. “They [‘infidels’] are too easy to fool.”

Well, we knew that.

Bekdil had a conversation with a Syrian refugee, identified as "A," who thought that the European social workers aiding the Muslim refugees were being naive:

“I’ll tell you strictly Muslim-to-Muslim,” A. said in good English after having poured down a few shots of whisky. “These (European social workers) are funny guys. And they’re not just funny. They’re also silly. I don’t know why on earth they are in love with a Muslim cause that even some of us Muslims despise.”

We probably knew that as well (about social workers). But the silliness extends to the politicians in the West, and it isn't going to end well.

Stay on topic, please.   This is about a particular situation at a particular point in time.   It is not about the Prophet Muhammad, it's not about Irish-Catholics, it's not about Christians during the Dark Ages.  

11 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

i can only say that 7by 7 and yourself both seem to have the same arguments and the same sort of posts , i was not Personally attacking him,and no not ALL terrorist acts are carried out by muslims , i amend that to 99% of terrorist attacks seem to be carried out by the religion of peace . sorry once again . 

If you're interested in gaining facts as opposed to assumptions go to the link below and download the report which provides stats comparing 2015 - 2016 period. As we know Jihadi attacks have increased in the UK during 2017, but the Europol provides good insights, the annexes provide summaries although it is well worth reading the entire report.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/eu-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report

22 hours ago, RickBradford said:

I have very little sympathy for the feminine instinct to nurture and cosset these Muslim terrorists, especially when it is displayed by men.

A reporter, originally from Afghanistan, recently toured the European refugee camps garnering the viewpoints of so-called refugees. His findings should give cause for concern among even the most feminine-oriented of men.

The young Afghan who was dressed like a dancer from a cheap hip-hop clip on MTV said, “One day we good Muslims will conquer their infidel lands.” I [reporter Burak Bekdil] asked why he was receiving “infidel” money for living. “It’s just halal,” he answered. “They [‘infidels’] are too easy to fool.”

Well, we knew that.

Bekdil had a conversation with a Syrian refugee, identified as "A," who thought that the European social workers aiding the Muslim refugees were being naive:

“I’ll tell you strictly Muslim-to-Muslim,” A. said in good English after having poured down a few shots of whisky. “These (European social workers) are funny guys. And they’re not just funny. They’re also silly. I don’t know why on earth they are in love with a Muslim cause that even some of us Muslims despise.”

We probably knew that as well (about social workers). But the silliness extends to the politicians in the West, and it isn't going to end well.

As you, for some reason, have not included a link to the report you quote, it is impossible to see the context of those two quotes.

It is also impossible to see how many refugees the author interviewed before he found those two people; if, indeed, he mentions that figure at all. All we have from your quotes is two people out of approximately 1.5 million; hardly representative!

Saying that anyone here has an "instinct to nurture and cosset these Muslim terrorists" is simply untrue; as the many condemnations of terrorism, whether Islamic or not, posted over many topics by myself and the others you accuse shows.

13 hours ago, simple1 said:

If you're interested in gaining facts as opposed to assumptions go to the link below and download the report which provides stats comparing 2015 - 2016 period. As we know Jihadi attacks have increased in the UK during 2017, but the Europol provides good insights, the annexes provide summaries although it is well worth reading the entire report.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/eu-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report

You and 7 by 7 are not related by any chance ,its just you both seem to know all the same facts and agree with each other all the time .

17 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

You and 7 by 7 are not related by any chance ,its just you both seem to know all the same facts and agree with each other all the time .

No; but we both base our opinions and posts on properly researched facts, rather than prejudice.

Maybe you should try doing the same?

49 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As you, for some reason, have not included a link to the report you quote, it is impossible to see the context of those two quotes.

It is also impossible to see how many refugees the author interviewed before he found those two people; if, indeed, he mentions that figure at all. All we have from your quotes is two people out of approximately 1.5 million; hardly representative!

Saying that anyone here has an "instinct to nurture and cosset these Muslim terrorists" is simply untrue; as the many condemnations of terrorism, whether Islamic or not, posted over many topics by myself and the others you accuse shows.

I can't imagine why you think I was referring to people on this forum when I spoke of the instinct to nurture and cosset Muslim terrorists. This forum isn't that important, nor are the people on it, so I wouldn't waste my time to "accuse" them of anything.

My criticism, as I wrote, is of politicians in the West, of a supine virtue-signalling media, and of taxpayer-funded NGOs and other do-gooders whose feelings of moral superiority are more important to them than 20 teenagers blown to bits at a pop concert, for example.

Everyone has had a gutful of "condemnations". They cost nothing, and achieve nothing. Action needs to be taken. 

By the way, I think it is entirely possible that the Afghan journalist's report was representative of Muslims as a whole. Their contempt for us is well documented -- after all, a poll showed that 27% of British Muslims sympathised with the motives of the terrorists who slaughtered 17 journalists at Charlie Hebdo.

59 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

By the way, I think it is entirely possible that the Afghan journalist's report was representative of Muslims as a whole. Their contempt for us is well documented -- after all, a poll showed that 27% of British Muslims sympathised with the motives of the terrorists who slaughtered 17 journalists at Charlie Hebdo.

Then why wont you provide a link to the article?

Sympathising with motives is one thing; agreeing with the method is quite another. It is noticeable that such polls never ask that question!

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Then why wont you provide a link to the article?

Sympathising with motives is one thing; agreeing with the method is quite another. It is noticeable that such polls never ask that question!

Not hard to find, really, if that was the point.

Without comment on the article itself - might be mentioned that the author is a rather well known Turkish journalist, and one of Erdogan's critics. Originally published here:

What’s On a Muslim Refugee’s Mind?

https://besacenter.org/perspectives-papers/muslim-migrants-motivation/

And, honestly, you should ease up on them "never" assertions.

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not hard to find, really, if that was the point.

Without comment on the article itself - might be mentioned that the author is a rather well known Turkish journalist, and one of Erdogan's critics. Originally published here:

What’s On a Muslim Refugee’s Mind?

https://besacenter.org/perspectives-papers/muslim-migrants-motivation/

And, honestly, you should ease up on them "never" assertions.

Quite a journalist you cited: Burak Bekdil. He's a regular contributor to the Gatestone Institute.

"The Gatestone Institute (formerly Stonegate Institute and Hudson New York) is a right-wing[2][3][4] think tank that publishes articles, particularly those involving Muslims or the Middle East. The organization has been criticized for publishing inaccurate articles...[5][6]A former U.S. Ambassador to the United NationsJohn R. Bolton, is its chairman.[8][9]

Nina Rosenwald is the president of the Gatestone Institute

"Rosenwald also finances the US-based rightwing Gatestone Institute which publishes Douglas Murray’s writing alongside Geert Wilders, the founder and leader of the Dutch Party for Freedom who has declared he “hates Islam”."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/30/rightwing-thinktank-pulls-funds-commons-groups-disclosure-rules

And what a shock that a regular contributor to the Gatestone Institute would hold Erdogan, an Islamist politician, in some disfavor.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Quite a journalist you cited: Burak Bekdil. He's a regular contributor to the Gatestone Institute.

"The Gatestone Institute (formerly Stonegate Institute and Hudson New York) is a right-wing[2][3][4] think tank that publishes articles, particularly those involving Muslims or the Middle East. The organization has been criticized for publishing inaccurate articles...[5][6]A former U.S. Ambassador to the United NationsJohn R. Bolton, is its chairman.[8][9]

Nina Rosenwald is the president of the Gatestone Institute

"Rosenwald also finances the US-based rightwing Gatestone Institute which publishes Douglas Murray’s writing alongside Geert Wilders, the founder and leader of the Dutch Party for Freedom who has declared he “hates Islam”."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/30/rightwing-thinktank-pulls-funds-commons-groups-disclosure-rules

And what a shock that a regular contributor to the Gatestone Institute would hold Erdogan, an Islamist politician, in some disfavor.

Barking at the wrong tree.

I wasn't "citing" him, and wasn't even commenting on the article or the views expressed. A poster provided quotes from the article, another poster wondered about the source - I merely linked it.

Whether you like his views or not, he's quite a respected journalist, as far as I'm aware. If I remember correctly most of his career was with Hurriyet.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Barking at the wrong tree.

I wasn't "citing" him, and wasn't even commenting on the article or the views expressed. A poster provided quotes from the article, another poster wondered about the source - I merely linked it.

Whether you like his views or not, he's quite a respected journalist, as far as I'm aware. If I remember correctly most of his career was with Hurriyet.

On the strength of that vile article you linked to, the respect, such as it was, is undeserved to say the least. 

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

On the strength of that vile article you linked to, the respect, such as it was, is undeserved to say the least. 

Still barking up the wrong tree.

If you're looking for another pointless argument try room 12A, next door.