Poll: People over 50, do you have enough money for retirement?

Jingthing

People 50 and over only -- NET WORTH for retirement  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the Thai visa system, foreigners are eligible for O-A visas (Long Stay/retirement) and annual extensions based on RETIREMENT starting at age 50.

There are frequent news stories in the press about people from many countries not having enough saved for retirement. 

So this poll is limited to people that have already reached the age of 50 and up.

So this poll asks people 50 and over ONLY, what is their NET WORTH of all their assets.

Including realistic value of owned real estate, all bank accounts, all retirement accounts, etc.etc. MINUS liabilities and debt.

Very roughly of course.

This poll is for entertainment and discussion purposes only.

It is NOT a public poll. Members won't be able to identify how you voted. 

But I think people 50 and over might be interested to see how they stack up relative to other Thaivisa members.

Someone with a million dollars at 80 is much better off financially than someone with the same money at 50 because of course it doesn't need to last as long. So ultimately the results are pretty darn meaningless, which is why again, this poll is only for entertainment and discussion purposes. 

On including value of real estate, of course most people live in their real estate but it's there to possibly sell for cash if needed or desired. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

less than zero and up to 10k will be the absolute majority..no need for polls

I hope not!

Proactive comment -- I used U.S. dollars, not Thai baht, not Bitcoins, and not Swiss Franc because:

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2014/03/prasad.htm

The Dollar Reigns Supreme, by Default

If you need to convert:

http://www.xe.com/

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Based on TV posters huge concern over fags and booze prices, the answer to the OP's question seems to be a resounding No.

Perhaps.

Of course, this poll doesn't touch on INCOME at all. Only assets expressed in net worth, value of all assets minus debt.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe start a new poll on how silly this poll is.

People are so negative here.

If a topic doesn't interest you, then why bother sniping?

Maybe a poll about what shoe size you wore when you were a teenager.

Negative here ? That's rich coming from you dude. 

3 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

That's rich? 

Now we're more on topic.

You're not fooling me. You're only here to snipe. That is so low. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

That's rich? 

Now we're more on topic.

You're not fooling me. You're only here to snipe. That is so low. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, of course, the percentage of people over a million should definitely be deeply discounted. The above TEN million votes, even more so. 

I said clearly in the O.P. that the results would be meaningless. 
The thread is indeed for entertainment and discussion purposes.

It's not meant as troll bait though.

I answered honestly. It's impossible to know how many people will do the same. But the main reason the results are meaningless is because the ages of the people is from 50 and up and up, even if people were answering truthfully. I could have done several polls with different age segments and that would be more meaningful, but just imagine the crowing and whining if I had tried that? 

You can't win. The snipers always are waiting to spit. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

ess than zero and up to 10k will be the absolute majority..no need for polls

Thailand is rarely a place for wealthy to retire,

You think those with just over $10,000 are wealthy and flocking to Monaco? I'm a great deal further up the scale that Jingthing used and don't consider myself anywhere near "wealthy."  You might need the services of a financial planner if you think accruing a bit more than $10,000 dollars will suffice for retirement 

He did ask about net worth, not annual income.

While this survey result below uses different metrics from the one Jingthing set out, it is rather frightening to think how ill prepared most Americans are for retirement (wherever they choose to live post employment). Going forward there's going to be a lot of people on the streets begging and the Federal budget for "entitlements" like Social Security and Medicare (and interest on the resulting debt) will be unsustainable. One nice thing about being old now is that I will not be around with the brown stuff really hits the fan.

59c0dc294479a_retire3.thumb.jpg.098e99cb1583e672578ca4d5cd0be6c3.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You think those with just over $10,000 are wealthy and flocking to Monaco? I'm a great deal further up the scale that Jingthing used and don't consider myself anywhere near "wealthy."  You might need the services of a financial planner if you think accruing a bit more than $10,000 dollars will suffice for retirement.

He did ask about net worth, not annual income.

While this survey result below uses different metrics from the one Jingthing set out, it is rather frightening to think how ill prepare most Americans are for retirement (wherever they choose to live post employment). Going forward there's going to be a lot of people on the streets begging and the Federal budget for "entitlements" like Social Security and Medicare (and interest on the resulting debt) will be unsustainable. One nice thing about being old now is that I will not be around with the brown stuff really hits the fan.

59c0dc294479a_retire3.thumb.jpg.098e99cb1583e672578ca4d5cd0be6c3.jpg

Yes, indeed. 

While this topic isn't limited to Americans obviously, it's worth noting that Americans over 65 that think they're fully "covered" with Medicare have a rude awakening coming. Besides the additional insurance you really need to purchase, I have read in several sources that older Americans on Medicare should expect to spend (on average) about 150,000 dollars additional out of pocket (for the rest of their lives) on medical expenses! That's still shocking to me because I'm sure huge percentages just don't have it. That's for only one expense category, never mind housing, food, and transport. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks the many many people that have already voted. 

Whether you were honest or not.

Honest is better though.

I wasn't really sure anyone would vote, so the response, except for the obnoxious trolls, is already above my expectations. 

This is the pub you know and it's usually fun banter. Calling folks obnoxious is obnoxious in itself. I figured at some point you'd inject your hysteria about the USA..... so typical.

anyway back on my ignore list Jingy, you appeared after the site upgrade for some reason and I thought it would be good for a laugh to see your rants but your far too negative and weird for my liking.