Dog repeller devices. Do they work?

The manic

16 hours ago, The manic said:

The idea is to use it before the attack ...To get the dog or dogs to move away.

I agree but as seen and personally witnessed that if the dog is behaving in an aggressive manner the noise devices are not going to work at all even if trying to use it in a manner of prevention.

The best safe approach is carry a large walking stick. Most feral dogs or territorial dogs are easily intimidated and turned away when the person stands his ground with the animal. Dogs sense fear and will behave as such especially an alpha male. 

My Tazer/flashlight device is extremely effective. The crackle that comes from the device stops them instantly. They seem to sense it will inflict measurable pain. I guess if you hit their nose with the stated Million volts (no current) that would be a huge zing.

It is one of the posed challenges living in Thailand where there are no leash controls like western countries. I have no problem with it quite honestly. I grew up on a farm and had 4 dogs. All our neighbors had 2 or 3. I have no issues with dogs you just have to know how to manage them. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

:tongue: Yeah, we don't have any Filas near us or anything larger than a Labrador for that matter. The pit and even Bang Kaew mixes near us are no problem either, non showing out-and-out aggression. 

It is a good point you make about not all soi dogs are soi dogs. I see that quite often when the dog owners let their dogs run with the pack as it were.

Other than the ones that are at temples, schools, government offices and other public buildings where they get dumped as pups and fed left over lunches, it is almost impossible to tell if the dog is soi or just another dog that is allowed to roam all day. Both look like they have been neglected and are almost always carrying diseases and injuries due to the poor diets they're fed. 

I think out of the 1,000 people that live in my immediate village, maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10 houses bother to shut their gates (which includes Thai mixes, a Husky and a German Shepherd that are tied up all day but on occasions escape, a Fila pup, and what looks very much like a Dogue de Bordeaux which is roaming all day). Considering many Thai have the logic that a dog is a 'guard dog', I wonder what use it is if one, it is fearful beyond belief, and two, it isn't even there to begin with as it out mixing/mating with other disease carrying dogs all day. 

• 1 month later...