Thailand 4.0? Police armed with ID card readers

webfact

Thailand 4.0? Police armed with ID card readers

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police stations nationwide will be equipped with identification card readers to interface with an online police database to assist in the capture of fugitives, police said on Thursday.

Deputy police commissioner Pol General Winai Thongsong said the Royal Thai Police would soon equip police stations with ID card readers linking to the Police Darta Centre (PDC).

Winai said the card readers would take seven seconds to tell whether the owner of an ID card was wanted on an arrest warrant.

Winai said the PDC system had already enabled police to arrest up to 36,000 suspects wanted under arrest warrants in the first 10 days since the system went online.

He added that the PDC was an addition to the Command and Control Operation Centre (CCOC), which was set up in 2014. The CCOC had recorded more 800,000 arrest warrants that were still outstanding since 2002, he said.

He said the CCOC had helped police arrest just 7,000 suspects since it was set up in 2014, a paltry result that had prompted the introduction of the PDC mobile app this year.

Winai added that the app had already proved successful and the ID card readers would enhance its functionality.

An “unofficial investigators club” had also contributed additional information to the PDC, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327302

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-21

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

7 secs to read from a DB? They must be running some 1980's software.

The program is probably written in DBase and running in DOS on an NT 3.1 Server.  

Edited by connda

Thailand Gov is stuck in the provincial mud.  The Facebook generation will, eventually, pull it up by the bootstraps.

My Immi office scans my passport, details come up on the screen...... and then I hand over lots of dead trees, same as the year before. 

They enter a load of data into the computer, capture an updated, digital image........then dip a quill and make the official entry into Moses' desk sized ledger book.

Meanwhile, the Immi Officer at the back is chatting real time with someone 100s of kilometers away on a telephone the size of his palm, then transfers some money via iBanking to top up his phone credit, and buy a Hello Kitty T-shirt from China on Lazada.  :ermm:

8 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Dont knock it.  It seems  to be working. Encourage them when they do right.

They people they catch are unlikely to be serious criminals. Just small fish such as drug users who are left alone in civilised societies. In a nation where there is no legitimate elected government the real rule of law has been suspended and just arbitrary bullying of the weaker elements of society is substituted. A case in point is the Red Bull  cop killer, the non prosecution of the terrorists who hijacked the airport and the killers who shot a nurse, a foreign journalist and many others. Technology is only as just as its users.

I hope that this software is the same as our Police use in my home country of New Zealand, and most other western countries.

That is, if an ID card is scanned a reason for the scan must be made and a record made (which is regularly audited externally from the Police) of the scan taking place.

I would hate to think that this is a new tool officers could use to find people wanted, and then working with them to reduce/remove charges based on the fee paid for this non-standard service.

14 hours ago, hansnl said:

Maybe the time needed is also due to connection problems.

Yes but some people are never happy unless they can show their tech AND knock anything the Thai's try to get right.   Yes, to another responder, many or most of these arrest Warren will be small fish but they are unsolved arrest warrents for something!!!!!!  The police then have options, yes, again, for better or worse!!

9 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

did the person who wrote this article ever check the facts? 36000 arrested? a joke!

800000 outstanding warents? 15% of the Thai population? so every 6 thai you meet should be in prision!

I think that it's time to buy a new calculator !!!

800.000 on a population of 68,863,514 (wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand) is 1.161718%

When they lock up 15%, it will be a lot safer on the Thai roads.....

With over 95% of all computers in Thailand running on illegal Windows software, not having a decent firewall or cyber security installed, not having required and necessary updates, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ???

My nephew and his friends that are 14 years old, living in Europe, could hack their systems within minutes !!!

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ???

Edited by PAIBKK