I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Due my low pension, I am living on low cost lifestyle all times.

In Thailand if You are using your common sense, is not a hard, and difficult way of life.

I am eating the very tasteful thai foods, cooked by my thai wife. We are shopping at cheap places, markets and sometime hipermarkets as Tesco, Big C, and Makro. Here are plentiful fruits to maintain our health, the fish and chiken are cheap. 

I never understand the westerners, whose came here, and should like to eat only western foods, should like to stay in rooms under 25 C deegres, all times are critising  the locals, with rude words, all nights go to the nights clubs to buy love, and at last they fall on their face, and are complaining relentlessly when the prostitue did cheat them.  :)

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well I managed to stay away from Subway yesterday... I see they have put their prices up!

My once a week foot-long  is a little too much now.

Surely Nirun is pretty close to 3rd Rd.

Interesting though as a friend of mine stays in a cheap condo when here and I have visited him.... certainly not my idea of being happily retired nor on holiday.

I haven't bought a Subway here for years - and years ago they were already way overpriced. Over 200 baht for mostly bread (sometimes dry bread) is just not worth it, especially since most of the staff mess them up and you end up with a pile of rubbish in your hands instead of a sandwich.

11 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

I don't find it interesting, it is of that kind of people, who cannot live a decent live in their home country. Thailand is full of such farangs, who run away from the home country in the hope to make a better living in Thailand, but since prices go up and up it becomes more difficult every year. I fully unterstand Thai immigration that they do not want people without medical care insurance and spend as little as possible, doing visa runs, etc. They are the reason why immigration laws are tightened every year. Anyone, who wants to spend little money, is in the wrong country. Vietnam, Laos and Indonesia are quite a lot cheaper and have less stringent immigration laws.

How do u know im not a milionaire? I am 

my friend is also

do we need to look wealthy

actually if u own a house in any big city your a millionaire anyway so is there a beed to splurge?

My 82yo friend doesnt even get the Australian pension as he has too many assets so he telys on his superannuation in which he has over a million dollars

yiu will find many many old people who are frugal

i quite enjoyed living in the flybird and nirun talking to people, people were more friendly 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I haven't bought a Subway here for years - and years ago they were already way overpriced. Over 200 baht for mostly bread (sometimes dry bread) is just not worth it, especially since most of the staff mess them up and you end up with a pile of rubbish in your hands instead of a sandwich.

Subway is more expensive here in thailand... turkey and ham foot long 380baht !!! I said no !!

there was no Acond in the room only a fan... at first it was very very difficult i had to drink that glucose stuff, after a coulple of weeks i got used to the heat , and didnt want Air con on anymore 

another thing is i found people were friendly unlike the rich condo buildings where tgey dont even say hello

On 21/09/2017 at 4:46 PM, tropo said:

He's also very lucky that he had the option of splashing out if he couldn't handle the cheap way. For the OP it was merely a game. It's a bit different if you don't have a choice.

Yes, this is true.

12 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Vietnam, Laos and Indonesia are quite a lot cheaper.

I always wonder when people say these things. I don't know about Indonesia, but Laos and Vietnam cheaper?

I don't know anything that's cheaper in Laos or Vietnam than in Thailand, even if you compare it to prices in BKK.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:
4 hours ago, tropo said:

Subway is more expensive here in thailand... turkey and ham foot long 380baht !!! I said no !!

That WAS the price in Thailand last time I bought one - just over 200 baht for a footlong.

there was no Acond in the room only a fan... at first it was very very difficult i had to drink that glucose stuff, after a coulple of weeks i got used to the heat , and didnt want Air con on anymore 

another thing is i found people were friendly unlike the rich condo buildings where tgey dont even say hello

I've been living in this heat for over a decade and still want aircon on. I don't overdo it, but it's very enjoyable to get that sticky humidity out of the room for a break.

My 82yo friend doesnt even get the Australian pension as he has too many assets so he telys on his superannuation in which he has over a million dollars

yiu will find many many old people who are frugal

i quite enjoyed living in the flybird and nirun talking to people, people were more friendly 

You will both be the richest corpses in the boneyard. Life is too short to live like a pauper. Yes, when young it's good to save and plan for later life. But if in your 80's and financially well off I'd be enjoying everything Pattaya has to offer while I could. Don't want to wake up dead and find you hadn't lived.

6 hours ago, bogozy said:

I never understand the westerners, whose came here, and should like to eat only western foods,  

LOL> I don't understand Westerners that come to Thailand and only want to eat Thai food.

The truth be told, any foreigner who tells me that is likely on a tight budget and looking for excuses not to spend more on the food they prefer. Foreign food is expensive here, so it doesn't make much sense if you're on a tight budget.

You said fish is cheap? All the cheap fish that is grown in fish farms is rubbish. Good quality decent deep sea fish is very expensive. 

It's a foreign food buffet in Pattaya - one of the reasons I like it here.

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> I don't understand Westerners that come to Thailand and only want to eat Thai food.

The truth be told, any foreigner who tells me that is likely on a tight budget and looking for excuses not to spend more on the food they prefer. Foreign food is expensive here, so it doesn't make much sense if you're on a tight budget.

You said fish is cheap? All the cheap fish that is grown in fish farms is rubbish. Good quality decent deep sea fish is very expensive. 

It's a foreign food buffet in Pattaya - one of the reasons I like it here.

Thai or western, cheap food is invariably of a poor quality - by and large poor Thai food is significantly worse than poor western.

Good quality food, Thai or Western, is worth paying that bit extra for.

The interesting part comes in trying to find good quality food, Thai or western, at a decent price.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

You will both be the richest corpses in the boneyard. Life is too short to live like a pauper. Yes, when young it's good to save and plan for later life. But if in your 80's and financially well off I'd be enjoying everything Pattaya has to offer while I could. Don't want to wake up dead and find you hadn't lived.

Yes I agree.  I worked and saved for 40 years and am lucky I don't think much about the money.  Especially here.

Aircon? Pretty much  24/7 for me runs about $75 a month which would be about $350 in my country.

But I knows guys who are well off here and are always on the cheap.  Some sort of feeling of control or getting over/personal accomplishment, I don't understand it not my brain function.

Subway is actually a decent place the problem is here as with all the sandwiches I have experienced is the amount of meat they put on it.  Skimpy at best I ask for double meat still seems lacking..

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

I always wonder when people say these things. I don't know about Indonesia, but Laos and Vietnam cheaper?

I don't know anything that's cheaper in Laos or Vietnam than in Thailand, even if you compare it to prices in BKK.

So you don't know Vietnam. Hotel rooms are a lot cheaper (and often better) then in Thailand. Food more varied, beer, wine and cigs cheaper. And people more friendly. Service also better, trains also better. The only thing which is more expensive are inbound flights.

16 minutes ago, AloisAmrein said:

So you don't know Vietnam. Hotel rooms are a lot cheaper (and often better) then in Thailand. Food more varied, beer, wine and cigs cheaper. And people more friendly. Service also better, trains also better. The only thing which is more expensive are inbound flights.

Is that why Vietnam has only 6 million tourists a year and Thailand has 30 million?

3 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Show me any Hotel in Hanoi or HCMC in the range of 400-600thb that's bigger than 15sqm, not worn down, does have a window and not totally outside of the city (doesn't have to bin in the center, i drive a motorbike anyway), would be happy to stay there the next time. When i was there i couldn't find anything acceptable for less than 800thb, while in BKK that's no problem, so about 50% more expensive.

Food starts at 30000vnd = 44thb, while in Thailand it starts at 35thb, about 30% more.

Bottle of water 10000vnd = 15thb, Thailand 12thb, 25% more.

I'm quite sure that Thailand is cheaper ;)

Next year i plan to stay in Vietnam a few months, i will report back then with some deeper knowledge of living in both countries.

3 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

You only got one right but since you have never been there I doubt you know which one. 

7 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Wouldn't your comparison depend on where you're living in Thailand? For example,  you can get double the value or better in Pattaya compared to BKK. Hotels in Pattaya are amazing value.

On 22/09/2017 at 8:11 PM, Bigdogfarang said:

Impressive in a way I suppose but who the <deleted> wants to live like that. The whole idea of moving here (mine anyway) is to enjoy a better standard of living than I could afford in the UK for the same money not to live like a hobo ... each to their own I suppose. 

I thought it was about the weather and/or the availability of cheap sex,to each their own.

56 minutes ago, tropo said:

Wouldn't your comparison depend on where you're living in Thailand? For example,  you can get double the value or better in Pattaya compared to BKK. Hotels in Pattaya are amazing value.

And beans and hookers are much cheaper

On 22/09/2017 at 4:23 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Not only the weight loss but what i found out this month of living in the Nirun and Flybird is there is tons and tons of farangs who live on less than 15,000 baht a month quite happily

many on a friday night would congragrate in the community room or someones  room playing cards over bottles of beer or bottles of water.

I was blind to all of this before and think i needed big money to live in Pattaya, after a few weeks those bars and girls got tiring, i wanted that life my friend had, good clean food, no alcohol, a lot if walking, being  thrifty, etc now he is 82yo and relys on a pension

im heading back to farangland this week because i have a job however next year im going to try to extend my visit , the only problem i had was transport as i cannot drive a bike i had to rely on walking or motobike taxis costing a fortune

Christmas day must be fun at your mates place. But seriously though. Why bother living such a rotten, joyous frugal life thousands of miles from home? You are missing out on all the benefits of living in Pattaya or Thailand in general. You may  as well stay in Stockport or Wythenshawe.