I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

On 23/09/2017 at 9:01 PM, The manic said:

Christmas day must be fun at your mates place. But seriously though. Why bother living such a rotten, joyous frugal life thousands of miles from home? You are missing out on all the benefits of living in Pattaya or Thailand in general. You may  as well stay in Stockport or Wythenshawe.

They have started stocking the shops with Christmas stuff here from 18 SEPTEMBER, I will be visiting the UK from 29 Nov till 3 January family visit,the entire time I will be fantasising about the weather in Thailand and how you can totally avoid the " festive" season with minimal effort,bliss. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

They have started stocking the shops with Christmas stuff here from 18 SEPTEMBER, I will be visiting the UK from 29 Nov till 3 January family visit,the entire time I will be fantasising about the weather in Thailand and how you can totally avoid the " festive" season with minimal effort,bliss. 

I have just just ordered a turkey.

But I shall be in the U.K. 13th December to 1st January..........

Strange that...

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2017 at 6:07 PM, AloisAmrein said:

Minimum salary in Thailand is 300 Baht per day, so if working 27 days per month they get 8100 Baht. And even not all get the minimum pay, specialle cheap workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. So many Thais and foreign workers live with about half of the "cheap way".  Would like to see him living this really cheap way.

My wife earns 300B /day...she is not keeping me in the style I'm accustomed to.

There is no doubt living in Pattaya is not cheap, but it is most enjoyable to go round the Thai markets and select some amazing vegetables/fruit and make a cheap nutritous meal yourself 'keenio style'.

My wife earns 300B /day...she is not keeping me in the style I'm accustomed to.
There is no doubt living in Pattaya is not cheap, but it is most enjoyable to go round the Thai markets and select some amazing vegetables/fruit and make a cheap nutritous meal yourself 'keenio style'.
Not true. Ever wonder why there are no prices on vegetables? Really how hard can it be to put a price up?
Not rocket science to why.

If you want to live cheap Charlie go to big c where the marked prices are approx 30% cheaper than farang market prices

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Not true. Ever wonder why there are no prices on vegetables? Really how hard can it be to put a price up?

If you want to live cheap Charlie go to big c where the marked prices are approx 30% cheaper than farang market prices

I won't shop anywhere that prices aren't marked because as you say, it's obvious scamming.

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Thai bar owner asked me "Why you no shop at market, why you go Tesco?"

I replied "Because I don't like getting ripped off"

Just now, NotWhatItWasnt said:

I never pay more than 20 baht for market veg. It's a 20 baht shop everything like tomatoes, cucumbers and the like is 20 baht. But fruit is a bit tricky sometimes.

8 minutes ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

Yeah, and shop in air-conditioned comfort in a clean environment, along with a far greater choice... and where the electronic scales work, rather than rounding up to the nearest 1/4 kilo or so, and then rounded up some more to the nearest 10 baht.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Yeah, and shop in air-conditioned comfort in a clean environment, along with a far greater choice... and where the electronic scales work, rather than rounding up to the nearest 1/4 kilo or so, and then rounded up some more to the nearest 10 baht.

GreedyTesco has too much expensive GM and imported radiated food.  Why not support your local hard working Thais?

Just now, steven100 said:

is this the cheap Charlie forum ...  ?      geeeze ......  how do you guys ever get a Visa.

There are many threads on the cheapest border run, the cheapest visa run to Vientiane, the cheapest schedule to squeeze 179 days in Thailand on the lowest visa budget. An SETV costs 1000 Baht in Laos and has no need of financial proof.

It is a sign of intelligence to be able to grasp that different people with different priorities in vastly different circumstances will make different decisions and have different lifestyles to one's own. i.e. to be able to put oneself in another's shoes.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I never pay more than 20 baht for market veg. It's a 20 baht shop everything like tomatoes, cucumbers and the like is 20 baht. But fruit is a bit tricky sometimes.

Yes, quite right, If one shops where the less well off Thais shop..everyone is happy.  If one is a regular, the Thais get to know one, so be prepared for a little banter,  which does not occur in Tesco.

Just now, steven100 said:

is this the cheap Charlie forum ...  ?      geeeze ......  how do you guys ever get a Visa.

It is an example of why many Thais have issues with foreigners.

Hey, lets try to get them down from 20 b to 15.  Are some egos that weak and insecure?

It is truly embarrassing and hideous in my opinion.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

It is shameful not to be rich, one can only sneer at them, and remain aloof.

I can't imagine why you are on this low class topic!

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

It is shameful not to be rich, one can only sneer at them, and remain aloof.

I can't imagine why you are on this low class topic!

I see alot of this sentiment on TV.  It's not very common in the US to look down on poor people like that, I think maybe it's a European thing?

8 hours ago, talahtnut said:

GreedyTesco has too much expensive GM and imported radiated food.  Why not support your local hard working Thais?

yeah. I never buy American foods because of gm foods grown in incectsides...the purpose of gm crops. I rinse all fruit and veg copiously.  Nuts and some fruit are cheaper at local markets.

LOL. Millions of Thais live on 9,000 baht or less a month.

I'm trying to lose weight so I've given up sugar as much as possible. I do drink fruit juice which has sugar, even if not added.

That alone is making my life cheaper, as ice cream, cakes and biscuits etc cost a lot if eating a lot. Unfortunately, without sugar, food is boring.

2 hours ago, tlock said:

I see alot of this sentiment on TV.  It's not very common in the US to look down on poor people like that, I think maybe it's a European thing?

It is a very English thing dating back to their invention of the Class System, Snobbery, the Oxford accent, and the public school. This obsession with class has subverted reason to produce a nation of eccentric nuts.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, tropo said:

Exactly Tropo,  plus the rats don't run over the rice bags at night 

On 10/20/2017 at 5:09 AM, talahtnut said:

I don't shop at Tesco, but not because I think they are greedy. It's called business. 

Call me selfish, but nothing could drag me down to the markets to support your "local hard working Thais" that try their damnedest to rip me off because I'm not Thai and can't speak their language. If my wife was Thai, that would be different, but I wouldn't be going with her.

I like shopping at Big C Extra, Friendship, Foodland and Central. There are plenty of hard working Thais employed in those supermarkets, that I support by shopping there.

45 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Good on the OP......if you avoid Girls out of choice 25,000 is more than enough let alone 15,000

Decent Condo at 10k a month and 500 baht a day more than enough for me.

"cable" included? :cheesy:

27 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Absolutely, we call it a washing line in UK, it's usually strung across the balcony to hang your laundry on. :)

Nah Naam is trying and failing miserably to be clever as he was over cable a few years ago

On 10/20/2017 at 1:01 PM, tlock said:

It's not a European thing. It's a barely middle class guy thing who comes to a third world country and then brags about living a hiso (or so he thinks) lifestyle while in his own country he would be a big nobody.

26 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Nah Naam is trying and failing miserably to be clever as he was over cable a few years ago

"failing miserably" is a matter of perspective. your comment pertaining to living expenses points to the hi-so lifestyle of an investor who's mind is most of the time preoccupied with the exchange rate of the USD vs. a nowadays insignificant currency (aka "cable").

rabugento1.gif