I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

Good on the OP......if you avoid Girls out of choice 25,000 is more than enough let alone 15,000

Decent Condo at 10k a month and 500 baht a day more than enough for me.

You forgot high speed internet, electricity, mobile phone data package, taxis and BTS 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, seancbk said:

You forgot high speed internet, electricity, mobile phone data package, taxis and BTS 

No I didnt

Condo I was viewing online yesterday was 10,000 a month. Included high speed wifi.....Mobile packge always on connection via true at 214 baht a month.....taxis not applicable but if any required more than covered for. Electric top whack 1000 baht a month.

I dont spend 500 baht a day in uk out of choice. Not a chance in hell I'd go thro 500 in Pattaya on same basis

Edited by Chivas

On 9/23/2017 at 11:12 AM, bkk6060 said:

But I knows guys who are well off here and are always on the cheap.  Some sort of feeling of control or getting over/personal accomplishment, I don't understand it not my brain function.

If someone wants to live cheap that is up to them, even though it can sometimes appear to friends and acquaintances as somewhat on the obsessive side. The irritation for me is whether their cheapness crosses over into how they treat other people. In short, persistent meanness and little sense of generosity towards others at any time. Sometimes I think there is a permanent party convention going on for these guys in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

No I didnt

Condo I was viewing online yesterday was 10,000 a month. Included high speed wifi.....Mobile packge always on connection via true at 214 baht a month.....taxis not applicable but if any required more than covered for. Electric top whack 1000 baht a month.

I dont spend 500 baht a day in uk out of choice. Not a chance in hell I'd go thro 500 in Pattaya on same basis

LOL> you're making me feel bad. My Internet bill is just shy of 6000 baht per month. Electricity hovers around 4000 when it's hot, and water nearly 1000. That's before rent.

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

No I didnt

I may be confused with another member, but aren't you the same guy who managed to run 200.000 Km on a set of tyres?

22 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
39 minutes ago, balo said:
How can anyone pay 6000 in internet bills monthly ? Stop trolling please.

And water 1000? Maybe if he is sponsoring 6 bargirls per night lol

our water bill for 5 persons (3 long haired females who live part time in their bathrooms), two dogs and three cars fluctuates between 850 and 1,200 Baht a month.

2 fiberoptic connections, 1 DSL connection and phone via VOIP (voice over internet protocol) total 5,200 Baht.

Edited by Naam

our water bill for 5 persons (3 long haired females who live part time in their bathrooms), two dogs and three cars fluctuates between 850 and 1,200 Baht a month.

2 fiberoptic connections, 1 DSL connection and phone via VOIP (voice over internet protocol) total 5,200 Baht.
Damn. What is your electricity?

Just now, InMyShadow said:
5 minutes ago, Naam said:

Damn. What is your electricity?

approximately 180,000 Baht a year. our monthly bill fluctuates between 12,000 and 16,000 Baht. highest bill ever was april/may 2016 with ~21,000 Baht.

3 hours ago, balo said:

Well, in that case, you won't be very pleased to find out that you're the troll then - and an ignorant one at that.

59ec91c242b0f_CATcharge.jpg.d1ca2cb770ead1b7d4d46b206c312758.jpg

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:
3 hours ago, balo said:

And water 1000? Maybe if he is sponsoring 6 bargirls per night lol

Thanks for our concern....

No, it's just for me and my wife. It is very clean (filtered) water and high pressure at a condo. I pay 35 baht a unit (cubic meter) for it. Last 3 bills -  26 units, 23 units and 21 units, so they were under 1000, but the bill before that was over 1000 as I did a lot of cleaning when I moved in. I don't mind the extra cost of this water though, as my last place was 353 per month, low pressure and stunk.

Just now, tropo said:

Thanks for our concern....

No, it's just for me and my wife. It is very clean (filtered) water and high pressure at a condo. I pay 35 baht a unit (cubic meter) for it. Last 3 bills -  26 units, 23 units and 21 units, so they were under 1000, but the bill before that was over 1000 as I did a lot of cleaning when I moved in. I don't mind the extra cost of this water though, as my last place was 353 per month, low pressure and stunk.

Forgive me Tropo but why such an large internet bill?

Tropo and Naam must be living on the very high end of the expat scale . 

Sorry I was wrong but it just sounds weird to me . 

Because I am paying 630 baht for AIS fibre , its good enough for 5 connected devices. And my guess is 95% of most people in Thailand are not paying 6000 baht for Internet.  :sad:

Edited by balo

20 minutes ago, balo said:

Because I am paying 630 baht for AIS fibre , its good enough for 5 connected devices. And my guess is 95% of most people in Thailand are not paying 6000 baht for Internet.  :sad:

It has not much to do with the bandwidth but it's mostly about the SLA (service level agreement). If you are a business customer and there is a problem with your internet they guarantee you to fix it in x hours, if you are just a "normal" customer it can happen that you have to wait a few days until your internet is working again. In my opinion it's not worth it, because it's way cheaper to have 2 private internet connections from different providers if you are worried about the uptime, but maybe for tropo it's worth it. This quite big difference in the price is also kinda normal in Europe.

51 minutes ago, balo said:

does it happen, as it does in my case, that six persons use simultaneously with individual devices your connection by surfing the net, downloading and/or streaming movies and making international phone calls? yawn... :coffee1: 

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It has not much to do with the bandwidth

in my case it's bandwidth that counts because of multiple users needing a lot of bandwidth. but i use different ISPs mainly in case one is off in my area (as is presently 3bb fibre since wednesday afternoon).

Edited by Naam

On 21/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, tropo said:

Thais" that try their damnedest to rip me off because I'm not Thai and can't speak their language. If my wife was Thai, that would be different, but I wouldn't be going with her.

I like shopping at Big C Extra, Friendship, Foodland and Central. There are plenty of hard working Thais employed in those supermarkets, that I support by shopping there

Living in a Thailand, unable to speak some Thai, I can understand you may get ripped off sometimes, but Thais are generally honest, even generous folk.  I speak rubbish Thai,  sometimes it makes them smile or giggle..with that result, you are unlikely to be swindled.

Thais working in foreign supermarkets will be on basic wage, and the profits will go abroad..I believe in helping Thais, out of respect, for allowing us into their country.

1 hour ago, balo said:

(please excuse me as this is a little off topic, but people keep suggesting I'm an idiot for paying so much and ask me why)

Feast your eyes on CAT's price list for current services offered:

http://catinternet.com/promotion-detail.php?promotionid=1

Mine is the last one of that list.

Look closely, you'll see 100 Mbps download speed for 990 per month, and 100 Mbps for 5490 per month (before VAT). Most people are just looking at numbers and think that 100 Mbps is 100 Mbps.... and also, on here it seems that anyone who claims to pay more than the average is either an idiot, a troll (according to you) or both. You have to ask yourself, why would someone pay 5.5 times more for the same speed. Well.... it's a fair question. Apart from reliable upload speed, which costs more...

I'm quite happy that most are not paying for my service because I only share with other people on my same package, so the contention ratio is next to zero because hardly anyone subscribes to the more expensive packages. That means that I have always get the maximum speed, 24/7. Not once has it tested less than 103 Mbps, with an initial burst up to 200 Mbps. I also get rapid customer service. If you only want to use wireless, then it's a waste of money because you lose a lot of speed with wireless and the further away you are from your router, the more you lose. Once you get over 30 - 40 Mbps, any more speed is a waste of money. 

I tried living very expensive for a month. After 10 days, 10 hours and 10 minutes the month was over already. 555

Taking a radically opposite approach and wondering if that would work: 

- Enter any 7/11, wearing a 3 piece-suit, equipped with a fake 7/11 ID card, identifying me as a "Quality & Efficiency Inspector". Entiteling me to free lodging (storage room of the store) plus free access to the food and the booze of the store.
Next to Quality and Efficiency control, I would also aim to improve Customer-Relations to the benefit of 7/11 (focusing on female customers mainly).

If that's not a "low cost Holiday concept", then I don't know what is.

PS: I was told, that in order to come up with such ideas, one must have walked without wearing a hat in the tropics for too long. While living in Europe, it's likely to be a lack of vitamin D. At the moment, concerning myself, it must be a lack of vitamin D.

:partytime2:

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Living in a Thailand, unable to speak some Thai, I can understand you may get ripped off sometimes, but Thais are generally honest, even generous folk.  I speak rubbish Thai,  sometimes it makes them smile or giggle..with that result, you are unlikely to be swindled.

Thais working in foreign supermarkets will be on basic wage, and the profits will go abroad..I believe in helping Thais, out of respect, for allowing us into their country.

I understand where you're coming from, but I have absolutely no desire to shop at markets and I wouldn't, even if everything was priced and everyone was honest. I buy too many other things when I'm on a shopping spree once or twice a week, including a lot of imported meat and other imported products. Local fruit and vegetables at a market would only account for a fraction of my bill. I get a lot of discounts at Big C Extra. This week I spent 3000 baht and got 650 baht in discount coupons. How can you beat that? I also enjoy eating at clean mall restaurants, or having a coffee or ice cream, shopping for hardware etc. It's an occasion in air-conditioned comfort. I like to make mundane tasks like shopping moderately pleasant, if at all possible.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

in my case it's bandwidth that counts because of multiple users needing a lot of bandwidth. but i use different ISPs mainly in case one is off in my area (as is presently 3bb fibre since wednesday afternoon).

Previous to my expensive CAT service I used to do the same. I always had 2 services, but due to the cost of my one, I just stick with it. At least they come out quickly to fix it if there is a problem, but there's always the possibility of lines down that can't be solved immediately.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

It has not much to do with the bandwidth but it's mostly about the SLA (service level agreement). If you are a business customer and there is a problem with your internet they guarantee you to fix it in x hours, if you are just a "normal" customer it can happen that you have to wait a few days until your internet is working again. In my opinion it's not worth it, because it's way cheaper to have 2 private internet connections from different providers if you are worried about the uptime, but maybe for tropo it's worth it. This quite big difference in the price is also kinda normal in Europe.

I have been using Internet services in Thailand for 12 years. It used to be 1 Mbps Adsl when I started - that was considered to be a fast one. Maxnet offered 0.5 Mbps services, BUT even in these early days, they had expensive packages, 3 or 4 times the price of the budget packages. They used to be called basic and premium packages. I paid double what the basic package cost, even back then. I also had CAT back then, and they were always more expensive. We're still way behind what you can get in Europe or the USA and pay much more for the same quality of service. I wouldn't pay for 2 inferior services rather than one very good one. Mostly you just use your good one and the cheaper one for emergencies, but since I've been using CAT fiber optic, downtime is minimal.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I understand where you're coming from, but I have absolutely no desire to shop at markets and I wouldn't, even if everything was priced and everyone was honest. I buy too many other things when I'm on a shopping spree once or twice a week, including a lot of imported meat and other imported products. Local fruit and vegetables at a market would only account for a fraction of my bill. I get a lot of discounts at Big C Extra. This week I spent 3000 baht and got 650 baht in discount coupons. How can you beat that? I also enjoy eating at clean mall restaurants, or having a coffee or ice cream, shopping for hardware etc. It's an occasion in air-conditioned comfort. I like to make mundane tasks like shopping moderately pleasant, if at all possible.

Well, I give up,  My Thai wife does the same as you..even down to the ice cream, [ground floor Big C].

6 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Well, I give up,  My Thai wife does the same as you..even down to the ice cream, [ground floor Big C].

LOL> it's not like Thai people are boycotting malls to go shop at markets.