I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

Just about to finish my 4 week trip guys where i experimented by living cheap

unfortuanetely i failed but it was a great experience.

i lost 15kg in this time

also i wanted to see if my money saved that i could live on

i lived the first 3 weeks at Flybird Condo with a mate and then the final week at Nirun Condo whch was a headache because i couldnt be bothered walking the distance to third road and got the moto bike taxis.

At Flybird sharing a room with my cheapskate farang friend who showed me how he lives on less than 15,000 a month let me say he is not short of money but chooses this lifestyle 

I must say firstly he owns his own studio condo in Flybird which he has done up nicely

He doesnt drink smoke or go to go go bars but does go to bars to use their wifi and drinks chinese tea, he rides a pushbike , but with me he walked and it was such a pain in the ass with the heat plus no sidewalks  constantly dodging traffic , most times i relented and caught a motorbike taxi to my friends  horror

I also failed on the eating and just couldnt stay away from my cheeseburgers, subway etc 

My friend bought noodles from 7 11 and also the fruit from thise carts, he diesnt  eat sugar etc

so his diet was mostly fruit, noodles, carrots and he has a small portable stove in his small condo where he cooked for me mostly vegies he bought at the markets

First thing to learn is the local prices of things plus how to negotiate in Thai

Look most of the time with the heat i just couldnt be bothered going with him it was fun at first but with the heat and crowds i found it difficult, he told me to force myself  to go and  get used to it because he said u can

To be continued 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

15 kg weight loss in 1 month is incredible! 

Is it actually possible especially when -

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I also failed on the eating and just couldnt stay away from my cheeseburgers, subway etc 

I wonder what the before and after weight was?

Yes i managed to lose all this as i was forcing myself to walk with my friend, wasnt easy because despite the heat it was dodging incoming bikes and cars plus trying to cross roads but yes i did get used to it after awhile

Legs feet etc all started to ache the first week and i was constantly sweating

im a great lover of cheese back in farangland and sugar and havent had such a great deal on this trip

i think my last week here at Nirun is the hardest because im trying not to use motobike taxis but the walk from Nirun condo here to the main road / cherrys restaurant isnt exactly short even though i see farangs do it everyday.

Getting back to my friend and my first 3 weeks in the flybird condo his expenses i believe for the month was under 10,000 baht something like 8,000

i quite enjoyed the camrederie here at Nirun and especially flybird with farangs and even thais meeting each other for cards, draughts etc , granted there are a lot if early morning alcoholics meeting on the stairs stc but i find a lot if thais here friendly and willing to talk , i met some great thai people just ordinary folk sitting outside here even if they are drinking whisky etc

the first week i missed the bars and thought i am nit going to deprive myself because im on holiday so hit them hard spending thousands per night in one night, but after a few weeks here and getting rundown with flu i cut the alcohol and the bars out

the heat,walking up stairs at the flybird, missing meals because of the heat, no air con etc not as much cheese, no sugar, etc helped me lose weight And moving constantly  , i got into my friends routine eventually up at 6am everyday

Edited by georgegeorgia

Gosh, what you find "a pain in the ass" and "hard", I did for 15 years in Bangkok. I guess it is all about motivation and what you are used to. Perhaps I was raised with the denial of luxuries.

Anyway, may I congratulate you for not only experimenting with your lifestyle, not only posting it here but also your candid self-assessment over what you found bearable and where you did not feel you could maintain a level of frugality.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Gosh, what you find "a pain in the ass" and "hard", I did for 15 years in Bangkok. I guess it is all about motivation and what you are used to. Perhaps I was raised with the denial of luxuries.

Anyway, may I congratulate you for not only experimenting with your lifestyle, not only posting it here but also your candid self-assessment over what you found bearable and where you did not feel you could maintain a level of frugality.

He's also very lucky that he had the option of splashing out if he couldn't handle the cheap way. For the OP it was merely a game. It's a bit different if you don't have a choice.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Well I have lost about 6 kg but it has taken me all of this year to do so.

All I did was to eat a little less.

On 14th February I weighed 126.7 kg and my lowest weight was yesterday at 120.2 kg.

It wasn't a decision as such but I simply ate a little less per meal.

For breakfast I usually eat melon, perhaps a couple of bananas and a bread roll (homemade) with butter, sometimes plain, sometimes toasted, perhaps with something on it or not.

Lunch is a catch it meal that I make myself, depending if I feel hungry or not.

Dinner in the evening is whatever my wife cooks but I have managed to only half fill the plate and if anything gets left over it usually goes in the following mornings bread roll, if not it goes for lunch.

I dropped from 97 k to 75k in 10 months. From 42 waist to 34. But went on The 5/2 diet. Stopped all sugars, cakes, chocolate and breads including beer and cider and swim and walk /run every day. Plus do 10k steps. Eat fruit, salads nuts, oats and meat and fish. Drink whisky and Soda and wine. Regarding cheap budget in Pattaya.

It's a cheap but poor diet which could be improved with the  addition of fresh fruit.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

On 14th February I weighed 126.7 kg and my lowest weight was yesterday at 120.2 kg.

Good for you. 

We are all built differently , I stayed at 86 kilo for 40 years and I am a tall person .  I cant gain much weight , but then I do not eat more than 2 meals per day . 

If I eat too much I just feel uncomfortable. When I visited the US a few times , I could not finish the big lunch and breakfast plates, like my American friends. I mean its like a meal for 2 people on one plate.  

Edited by balo

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

, granted there are a lot if early morning alcoholics meeting on the stairs stc but i find a lot if thais here friendly and willing to talk , i met some great thai people just ordinary folk sitting outside here even if they are drinking whisky etc

I dont know mate: Sounds like a horror  show to me.

Not only the weight loss but what i found out this month of living in the Nirun and Flybird is there is tons and tons of farangs who live on less than 15,000 baht a month quite happily

many on a friday night would congragrate in the community room or someones  room playing cards over bottles of beer or bottles of water.

I was blind to all of this before and think i needed big money to live in Pattaya, after a few weeks those bars and girls got tiring, i wanted that life my friend had, good clean food, no alcohol, a lot if walking, being  thrifty, etc now he is 82yo and relys on a pension

im heading back to farangland this week because i have a job however next year im going to try to extend my visit , the only problem i had was transport as i cannot drive a bike i had to rely on walking or motobike taxis costing a fortune

41 minutes ago, balo said:

Go for it , life can be cheap here. Stay away from the bar scene , it will kill you in the end.

and avoid lying down on a bed or a mattress. it's quite dangerous! most people die in that position.

8 hours ago, balo said:

Good for you. 

We are all built differently , I stayed at 86 kilo for 40 years and I am a tall person .  I cant gain much weight , but then I do not eat more than 2 meals per day . 

If I eat too much I just feel uncomfortable. When I visited the US a few times , I could not finish the big lunch and breakfast plates, like my American friends. I mean its like a meal for 2 people on one plate.  

From what I've been reading here, I'm a flyweight at 79 kg. Like you I floated around 87 kg  for years but since retiring here my weight has slowly come down through cutting down on unnecessary food and exercising which is mainly walking my dogs 5

times most days.

...i couldnt be bothered walking the distance to third road and got the moto bike taxis." Plus the cheeseburgers etc

Guess you could be bothered with hauling around at least 15kg of useless fat. Did you miss the message? Eat less crap and exercise (more than just exercising wrist drinking beers and sitting on your duff) and you might be bothered with living a bit longer? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but jeez louise....

3 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

...i couldnt be bothered walking the distance to third road and got the moto bike taxis." Plus the cheeseburgers etc

Guess you could be bothered with hauling around at least 15kg of useless fat. Did you miss the message? Eat less crap and exercise (more than just exercising wrist drinking beers and sitting on your duff) and you might be bothered with living a bit longer? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but jeez louise....

iv'e always wondered do people know that they have lived a bit longer?

33 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Some would say that if they had to live like that to live longer they wouldn't bother.

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just about to finish my 4 week trip guys where i experimented by living cheap

unfortuanetely i failed but it was a great experience.

i lost 15kg in this time

also i wanted to see if my money saved that i could live on

i lived the first 3 weeks at Flybird Condo with a mate and then the final week at Nirun Condo whch was a headache because i couldnt be bothered walking the distance to third road and got the moto bike taxis.

At Flybird sharing a room with my cheapskate farang friend who showed me how he lives on less than 15,000 a month let me say he is not short of money but chooses this lifestyle 

I must say firstly he owns his own studio condo in Flybird which he has done up nicely

He doesnt drink smoke or go to go go bars but does go to bars to use their wifi and drinks chinese tea, he rides a pushbike , but with me he walked and it was such a pain in the ass with the heat plus no sidewalks  constantly dodging traffic , most times i relented and caught a motorbike taxi to my friends  horror

My friend bought noodles from 7 11 and also the fruit from thise carts, he diesnt  eat sugar etc

so his diet was mostly fruit, noodles, carrots and he has a small portable stove in his small condo where he cooked for me mostly vegies he bought at the markets

First thing to learn is the local prices of things plus how to negotiate in Thai

Look most of the time with the heat i just couldnt be bothered going with him it was fun at first but with the heat and crowds i found it difficult, he told me to force myself  to go and  get used to it because he said u can

To be continued 

Such courage under life threatening conditions deserves at least the Victoria Cross, the Congressional Medal of Freedom & the Order of Golden Baboon. Sir, you are a shining example to all. What next? A month in Phuket with only one credit card? Dangerous but doable. 

Edited by jgarbo
typo