I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

On 9/23/2017 at 10:39 PM, amvet said:

Is that why Vietnam has only 6 million tourists a year and Thailand has 30 million?

Thailand is much more established and has been a popular tourism destination for a long time whereas Vietnam has only been open for tourism for, what, about 20 years, and from my understanding tourism industry infrastructure is still developing.  I think in time Vietnam will see significant growth in tourism numbers although it will probably be a long time before it gets close to Thailand's numbers.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> you're making me feel bad. My Internet bill is just shy of 6000 baht per month. Electricity hovers around 4000 when it's hot, and water nearly 1000. That's before rent.

am being polite but how have you got a 6000 baht internet bill or 4000 for electric for that matter ??

54 minutes ago, Chivas said:

am being polite but how have you got a 6000 baht internet bill or 4000 for electric for that matter ??

I appreciate your politeness as many have been downright rude. I had no idea that having a 6000 baht Internet bill would stir so much animosity.

I have answered your question in posts above in quite some detail.

As for your other question about electric - air conditioning. If 4000 shocks you, check out Naam's bill mentioned in posts above. Make sure you're sitting down when you read his post. What surprises me more is that 4000 surprises you. That's with frugal use of my 6 air conditioners. If I lowered the temperature and switched them all on my bill would equal or surpass Naam's.

4 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

U proud getting ripped off?

A little bit of reading back on this thread would have saved you from making an ignorant comment. The details of this internet service have been covered ad nauseam. 

1 minute ago, tropo said:

A little bit of reading back on this thread would have saved you from making an ignorant comment. The details of this internet service have been covered ad nauseam. 

What service do you get?

For some reason I thought that you were renting a condo.... 6 aircons is obviously a house.

2 aircons in a townhouse here running almost 24/7 (not at the same time, though).

Electric is less than 1500 a month.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I don't care how limited anyone's budget is. Dairy Queen is the most awful muck known to man and dog.

It's not health food, but it tastes fine, especially the creations with Kitkats added. There's only so much you can do with fat and sugar - the main ingredients of ice cream.

3 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What service do you get?

For some reason I thought that you were renting a condo.... 6 aircons is obviously a house.

2 aircons in a townhouse here running almost 24/7 (not at the same time, though).

(the service has been well covered above)

It has nothing to do with whether it's a house or a condo. It's the size that counts, and the efficiency of the air con units. It's a 4 bedroom condo with a huge lounge/dining room (about 250 m2 in total) and one bedroom has been converted into a gym. I don't run any units 24/7. The bedroom one is run when I'm sleeping and the other units only when I'm in those rooms and it's hot. Also, the indoor aircon units (evaporators) are built into the ceiling spaces and they are an old industrial type, so extremely inefficient. I also have 2 big refrigerators. My current bills are in the low 3000's.

My previous place was a townhouse and the bill ran about 500 baht per month lower. I don't think a 1000 baht here or there is of any significance when it comes to personal comfort. It's just over 100 baht per day.

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, AloisAmrein said:

So you don't know Vietnam. Hotel rooms are a lot cheaper (and often better) then in Thailand. Food more varied, beer, wine and cigs cheaper. And people more friendly. Service also better, trains also better. The only thing which is more expensive are inbound flights.

Internet, mobile 'phone and data, satellite / cable TV are all cheaper in VN also

I have to say that I am slightly in awe of naam & tropo and their respective bills for this and that :smile: My leccy bill hovers between Bt 1500 & Bt 2000 depending on the season, my internet is Bt 641 for a 20/7 fibre optic package and water has never ever been over Bt 100 in the 3 years I have been renting this 3 bed, 2 bath house oh and my rent is only Bt 15000 :smile:

Considering what I used to pay out back in the UK this is a steal, I can eat out whenever I want, I always have beer, wine and gin in the house and when I do eat at home its imported Lamb and Steak and stuff like that, I'm very glad I don't have to watch my pennies too closely but I have to say that if those bills arrived at my house I would have a dicky fit :smile:

16 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have to say that I am slightly in awe of naam & tropo and their respective bills for this and that :smile: My leccy bill hovers between Bt 1500 & Bt 2000 depending on the season, my internet is Bt 641 for a 20/7 fibre optic package and water has never ever been over Bt 100 in the 3 years I have been renting this 3 bed, 2 bath house oh and my rent is only Bt 15000 :smile:

Considering what I used to pay out back in the UK this is a steal, I can eat out whenever I want, I always have beer, wine and gin in the house and when I do eat at home its imported Lamb and Steak and stuff like that, I'm very glad I don't have to watch my pennies too closely but I have to say that if those bills arrived at my house I would have a dicky fit :smile:

It all depends on the electric bills you are used to. When I first came here my bills were even higher because I was being charged a fixed rate by the landlord and one of the aircon units wasn't working properly. My bills were between 4k and 5k back then. Regarding the Internet bill - no surprises as you have to sign a contract and you know what you're in for. As for water - I'm in a condo and it is managed by the body corporate and I'm charged a set rate per m3. At least I don't have to pay for my own water pumping system and it is well filtered. It's worth double to me, and even more so to my wife who loves the clean water (compared to dirty city water in our last place).

As for the price of rent, it all depends on how nice the place is. 15k can be a bargain or a ripoff. The number on its own is meaningless. Also, what is nice for one person is not nice for another. I searched and searched for a place I like for 25k, but couldn't find one and had to go up. Of course, I could go down too, but it's about the standard of living one requires.

What service do you get?

How is that possible. Assuming your paying a bit less than baht 4/unit.

What size BTU are your air conditioning units.

I'm not doubting as I'm sure they must be wall mounted and very small

I have 2x ducted units at 24000 BTU and 24/7 one at a time is around 7k baht or more

31 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I have 2x ducted units at 24000 BTU and 24/7 one at a time is around 7k baht or more

I was curious. Why would you assume electricity is less than 4 baht/unit? After VAT my bills work out to around 4.30 per kWh. It has been a long time since I've seen a net cost of under 4.00 baht/kWh. Every bill is different and I don't know how they work it out, but I know they factor total usage into the equation.

34 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I have no clue :) My wife bought them before we met.

The two aircons are in 2 different (smallish) rooms. The the biggest main room doesn't have an aircon, so I assume these are indeed small. Perhaps being on 24/7 is exaggeration as I don't keep them on when I go out, sure. But they are constantly on while we are inside. And yes.... they are set between 27-28c.

3 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

27-28... anything below is too cold

I run mine between 25C (gym), 27C (office) and 28C (bedroom)...l but I have fans too. It would be too hot for me at those settings without fans. Fans are the key to keeping the bills as low as possible.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not health food, but it tastes fine, especially the creations with Kitkats added. There's only so much you can do with fat and sugar - the main ingredients of ice cream.

Dairy Queen tastes absolutely disgusting and hey! have mine!

5 hours ago, tropo said:

I appreciate your politeness as many have been downright rude. I had no idea that having a 6000 baht Internet bill would stir so much animosity.

I have answered your question in posts above in quite some detail.

As for your other question about electric - air conditioning. If 4000 shocks you, check out Naam's bill mentioned in posts above. Make sure you're sitting down when you read his post. What surprises me more is that 4000 surprises you. That's with frugal use of my 6 air conditioners. If I lowered the temperature and switched them all on my bill would equal or surpass Naam's.

Fair play I made the mistake of 4000 baht equalling 1 air con for a month. For 6 its excellent... I didnt read the entire thread.  Will go back and see how you managed 6000 for the internet though

edited to add having read what you said it still seems ludicrously expensive re internet

Edited by Chivas

On 10/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, janclaes47 said:

I may be confused with another member, but aren't you the same guy who managed to run 200.000 Km on a set of tyres?

Nah wasnt me but must admit 200k on one set of tyres would be impressive in anyones book

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Dairy Queen tastes absolutely disgusting and hey! have mine!

(Sure, send it in the mail)

Do you not understand that what tastes good and what doesn't is an entirely individual and personal experience. If it wasn't, we'd all be eating and enjoying exactly the same food, or ice creams in this case. You should discuss this like an adult, for example. you could say "I don't like Dairy Queen ice cream", and that's fair enough, but that doesn't mean it's disgusting just because you don't enjoy it. What gives you the right to decide what's good and what isn't, just because you don't enjoy a particular food. There are hundreds of foods I find distasteful, but other people enjoy them. A lot of food my wife enjoys I don't like, but I don't say it's disgusting just because I don't like it.

I'm surprised they let your original comment stand because it's libelous.

2 hours ago, tropo said:
2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I was curious. Why would you assume electricity is less than 4 baht/unit? After VAT my bills work out to around 4.30 per kWh. It has been a long time since I've seen a net cost of under 4.00 baht/kWh. Every bill is different and I don't know how they work it out, but I know they factor total usage into the equation.

i pay THB 4.41 / kWh

kWh4.41.jpg

7 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Fair play I made the mistake of 4000 baht equalling 1 air con for a month. For 6 its excellent... I didnt read the entire thread.  Will go back and see how you managed 6000 for the internet though

edited to add having read what you said it still seems ludicrously expensive re internet

Well, having paid that much for over 3 years, it's not to me. I'm sorry it caused you and many others so much distress to learn that some people pay a lot more for superior services.

25 minutes ago, Naam said:

i pay THB 4.41 / kWh

kWh4.41.jpg

LOL> I wonder how many people fainted when they saw that. Don't show them your record bill of 21k or we may lose a few members due to heart failure.

Edited by tropo

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Well, having paid that much for over 3 years, it's not to me. I'm sorry it caused you and many others so much distress to learn that some people pay a lot more for superior services.

Not having a pop far from it re internet. Appreciate that for me (even in uk) if the wifi is quick enough to stream youtube and live tv then thats quick enough for me. Having a 10 or 20 mbps speed would be wasted on me let alone the 200 mbps virgin media one of my lads has

15 minutes ago, tropo said:
26 minutes ago, Chivas said:

rabugento1.gif

9 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Not having a pop far from it re internet. Appreciate that for me (even in uk) if the wifi is quick enough to stream youtube and live tv then thats quick enough for me. Having a 10 or 20 mbps speed would be wasted on me let alone the 200 mbps virgin media one of my lads has

Some people buy expensive cars to drive at the speed limit on the freeway. I can get by with a much lower speed if I have to, but I really enjoy having it. I paid that for 30/7 Mbps 3 years ago, so the extra speed didn't cost any more, as is typical with all ISP's constantly upgrading their packages. At the time I got my first fiber package, back in 2014, CAT was the only one available in my area so I didn't have a choice. I was already a CAT adsl customer, and I've always been very happy with their service. BTW, in case you missed it, you can get CAT fiber home package for 990 baht (+VAT) at 100/20 Mbps, so not all CAT packages are expensive... and also, any speed over 30 - 40 Mbps is wasted with wifi, even if you sit next to the router.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

(Sure, send it in the mail)

Do you not understand that what tastes good and what doesn't is an entirely individual and personal experience. If it wasn't, we'd all be eating and enjoying exactly the same food, or ice creams in this case. You should discuss this like an adult, for example. you could say "I don't like Dairy Queen ice cream", and that's fair enough, but that doesn't mean it's disgusting just because you don't enjoy it. What gives you the right to decide what's good and what isn't, just because you don't enjoy a particular food. There are hundreds of foods I find distasteful, but other people enjoy them. A lot of food my wife enjoys I don't like, but I don't say it's disgusting just because I don't like it.

I'm surprised they let your original comment stand because it's libelous.

Good Taste is something acquired. And good taste can be expensive if one appreciates a better product particularly when it comes to processed or manufactured foods. Some inferior products pass the good enough test. Dairy Queen is not one of them. But hey! Fill yer boots!

5 hours ago, tropo said:

. I searched and searched for a place I like for 25k, but couldn't find one and had to go up. Of course, I could go down too, but it's about the standard of living one requires.

So you pay how much in rent ?  250 sqm is a big one .