In Reaction To The New Smoking Laws.

AlexLah

As more and more countries are forbidding smoking in public places

I recently did a small experiment to check the BKK air quality.

I covered the back part of my ventilator (fan) with a pre filter (for aircon use).

I left it running in my bedroom non stop for 48 hours.

Fan positioned near the open balcony door.

Airspeed at a velocity of 1.0 meter per second.

post-21826-1168251049_thumb.jpg

After 48 hours I checked the contamination by comparing the color of a piece of unused filter

with the one that is attached onto the fan.

post-21826-1168251096_thumb.jpg

I was shocked...... :D

I just wonder how the inside of my lungs look like after two years in BKK.....

Have a nice day all!

Alex

:o:D

Edited by AlexLah

Try it again in several different places Alex, inside your home with it sealed from the outside world for 48 hrs would be good (perhaps after you have kept is closed for 48hrs prior as a control).

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference, or if it is perhaps common to all areas.

Anyone want to try this in their own respective country of residence?

I stayed at a friends place near pratunam. Took the bus to Thon buri (the fan bus with open windows) I got on the VIP bus to Phuket and looked at myself.

My clean shirt 2 hours ago looked like I had worked in an exhaust fitting centre all afternoon. The water in the shower at home ran a dark grey.

Love Bangers though.

Heck, I've got an even more down-to-earth scientific monitoring-device for all you city-folks!

Blow your nose at the end of the day on a white handkerchief, and notice how black your snot/mucous/boogers are! I've only seen mine that black in Tokyo and Los Angeles. Bangkok is not far behind.

If you live in BKK, maybe you think all that black effluent is normal! :D After each trip to The Big Mango, I can't wait to get back to Isaan, and to my healthy green boogers again! :o

From Your Upcountry Cousin,

TT

Edited by toptuan

Heck, I've got an even more down-to-earth scientific monitoring-device for all you city-folks!

Blow your nose at the end of the day on a white handkerchief, and notice how black your snot/mucous/boogers are! I've only seen mine that black in Tokyo and Los Angeles. Bangkok is not far behind.

If you live in BKK, maybe you think all that black effluent is normal! :D After each trip to The Big Mango, I can't wait to get back to Isaan, and to my healthy green boogers again! :D

From Your Upcountry Cousin,

TT

Sorry, but I ran air-quality tests in both BKK and Issan (Udon Thani). Regardless of your 'booger color index' the air quality was slightly higher in BKK. I highly recommend BKK and stay out of Issan. I'm very concerned for the health of all TV members. :o

I appluad the smoking ban, and will not miss the secondhand smoke one bit,

BUT I am not sure it will contribute much to the overall air quality in a big city like Bangkok.

The buses and lorries need to stop smoking to improve that.........

A litlle story here: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/15/news/pollute.php

This is a bit weird, there are more then 50 data collection centers around Thailand but not much data available.

Go here: http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/G.../CreateAQI2.cfm

Another thing to think about. WHO says the max limit is 20ppm. Why in the graph shown on above site starts at 100 as being a value unhealty? http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/G.../CreateAQI2.cfm

About 500.000 to 1 million people die of air polution each year in Asia.

I smell something fishy here as it is also a fact that in areas with above higher then 20 ppm values children born have a lower IQ. (sorry will post the link to that site later).

Questions I have to come up with a plausible conspiracy theory.

Is the governement on purpose not doing much about air polution in order to keep their citizens stupid?

Why are the numbers and advice publicised on Thai monitoring stations different then the WHO numbers?

Why do we not see the cleaner busses on the road altough those busses have been purchased more then one year ago (My company did a bid to repaint those new vehicles).

Who is checking the pollution reports stated by the PCD and the accuracy of them?

Who is in charge of the PCD and what bizz links he/she has?

:D

If you can come up with any other questions feel free to post.

:o