As North Floods, Major Dam At 100% Capacity

webfact

As North Floods, Major Dam At 100% Capacity

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

DJI_0135-696x392.jpg

Kaew Noi Bamroong Dan Dam releasing water Friday.

PHITSANULOK — Water was being released Friday from a major dam in the north that had reached capacity after heavy storms flooded dozens of provinces in the region.

The Kaew Noi Bamroong Dan Dam on the Khwae Noi River in Phitsanulok province was neither at risk of cresting, nor was the rate of water being released a threat downstream, its director said Friday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/09/22/north-floods-major-dam-100-capacity/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-09-22

How many years has this been a problem !

Some idiot who just spent most of countries budget on chinesium subs and trains would of been best first tackling the water system which that silly yingluck had neglected. Not much point have high speed trains under water lol. subs may have some use if water deep enough lol .

Total negligence and corruption, all can hope is current government get the boot, baht takes a dive and someone with a brain and a heart gets into government :-/

8 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

Some idiot who just spent most of countries budget on chinesium subs and trains would of been best first tackling the water system which that silly yingluck had neglected. Not much point have high speed trains under water lol. subs may have some use if water deep enough lol .

Total negligence and corruption, all can hope is current government get the boot, baht takes a dive and someone with a brain and a heart gets into government :-/

Yes I and many would love that last line to happen, but like the idiots here the current clowns are more interested in anyone named taksin, the rest of the country be dammed. (not literally)

31 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

People with hearts don't become politicians... 

12 minutes ago, djayz said:

People with hearts don't become politicians... 

No they do, but not the strong ones, the ones that are easily or over time corrupted.

The ones that arent are forced out , chose to leave or killed.

That saying, hows it go? "the ones most drawn to power are the least best to have it"

Here is the current status of the dams in the North and Northeast.  The second column from the left shows the dam's capacity in millions of cubic meters and the column on the right shows how full it is (as a percentage) as of yesterday.  The dam in the article is the one at 101%.  Curiously enough, they don't seem at all concerned about NamUn Dam up in Isan that is at 111%! 

The largest dams are all at less than 80% capacity and so, with proper management, we shouldn't see a repeat of the major flooding that we had in 2011.

image.jpeg.4e31a431892811805548ec577480b456.jpeg

Here is the graph for the Kaew Noi Bamroong Dan Dam in the OP.  As you can see, the rise up from about 80% to over 100% happened fairly suddenly.

image.jpeg.1db98ad1cd0c3ee58e30987689a57767.jpeg

11 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Here is the current status of the dams in the North and Northeast.  The second column from the left shows the dam's capacity in millions of cubic meters and the column on the right shows how full it is (as a percentage) as of yesterday.  The dam in the article is the one at 101%.  Curiously enough, they don't seem at all concerned about NamUn Dam up in Isan that is at 111%! 

The largest dams are all at less than 80% capacity and so, with proper management, we shouldn't see a repeat of the major flooding that we had in 2011.

image.jpeg.4e31a431892811805548ec577480b456.jpeg

Here is the graph for the Kaew Noi Bamroong Dan Dam in the OP.  As you can see, the rise up from about 80% to over 100% happened fairly suddenly.

image.jpeg.1db98ad1cd0c3ee58e30987689a57767.jpeg

Interesting facts. Thank you for your contribution and effort. I notice you underline some important words......."with proper management". Sadly, history has it that good management is not a quality of the Thai military. 

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Interesting facts. Thank you for your contribution and effort. I notice you underline some important words......."with proper management". Sadly, history has it that good management is not a quality of the Thai military. 

And thank you for your cheap shot. You could have added that the dam did exactly what it is supposed to do, blocked a seriously heavy flow event while keeping enough water in storage for the dry season, but it is more fun to claim mismanagement when there isn't any.

BTW 101% is of the dam's normal working level, it's actual maximum capacity is around 15% higher, as explained in the full article.

8 hours ago, halloween said:

And thank you for your cheap shot. You could have added that the dam did exactly what it is supposed to do, blocked a seriously heavy flow event while keeping enough water in storage for the dry season, but it is more fun to claim mismanagement when there isn't any.

BTW 101% is of the dam's normal working level, it's actual maximum capacity is around 15% higher, as explained in the full article.

You seriously need to read people's posts before you blurt out your usual smart alec comments. Foot in mouth seems to be a common problem with you and probably induced by excessive late night cordials.

I simply gave credit to otherstuff1957 for his well researched information and made no further comment about dams or water storage or dry seasons or anything else of the like. Unlike yourself being a know-all windbag on all subjects known to man.

I only made a general remark about the suspect quality of Thai military management. Even the slightest criticism of military management, or more correctly mis-management, seems to get you overly excited and on the hook. Cheers and enjoy your day!

11 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Thank you for your opinion.

The Kwae Noi is a tributary of the Nan, joining it at Phitsanulok town. 

59c5b707b41a7_nan22-9-17.jpg.aee3f206e3c7f9881188fb92641e9a47.jpg

Nan river, outside our home, is very high and after this morning's storm will be even higher. If the Chao Phraya Dam is holding back water to prevent flooding up north, there's going to be some serious flooding downstream in the next few days..If not, Bangkok's going to take an even bigger bath.

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

water resource management as effective as usual, why did they let the dam become 100% full?! haven't they learnt anything from previous years?

Simply because being certain about what the weather will do is a rather vague science.

Just now, AGareth2 said:

normally we have drought by Jan

I know.  just goofing around.  I'm a real "weather bug"  I find following the weather interesting. As a young guy I worked outside for many years and also was an avid gardener. It was always important to know or try to know what was going on with the weather.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

You seriously need to read people's posts before you blurt out your usual smart alec comments. Foot in mouth seems to be a common problem with you and probably induced by excessive late night cordials.

I simply gave credit to otherstuff1957 for his well researched information and made no further comment about dams or water storage or dry seasons or anything else of the like. Unlike yourself being a know-all windbag on all subjects known to man.

I only made a general remark about the suspect quality of Thai military management. Even the slightest criticism of military management, or more correctly mis-management, seems to get you overly excited and on the hook. Cheers and enjoy your day!

Bashing the military for everything that might go wrong in this country is of course a typical case of an unrepairable form of stupidity, simply because the former "elected" governments organised the problems and repairing those problems will take quite a long time.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

Bashing the military for everything that might go wrong in this country is of course a typical case of an unrepairable form of stupidity, simply because the former "elected" governments organised the problems and repairing those problems will take quite a long time.

Try England or practically any European country.  It's very far gone...

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

"I only made a general remark about the suspect quality of Thai military management."

And why was that necessary on this thread? In fact, it was just another in a string of BS posts claiming mismanagement when there was none.

Just now, halloween said:

"I only made a general remark about the suspect quality of Thai military management."

And why was that necessary on this thread? In fact, it was just another in a string of BS posts claiming mismanagement when there was none.

There you go again Pumpkin Head upsetting yourself over criticism of your beloved military. Try not to punish yourself so  much. And here I was trying to be nice and wanting you to enjoy your day.