Did anywhere the beer price go up?

jessicar

1 week now we got the new tax on alcohol but it's still the same price.

I expect the brewerys are asked to make new bottles to avoid shopowners to keep a lot in stock and sell it after for a higher price. ( Including me ?) or has anyone seen a higher price already? Except the small shops around the corner?

Nothing in  mainstream shops in town but rob dogs local village shop up by 7 THB singha 5 THB Leo a bottle?

Mrs poohy ( a fiscally minded lady with the personality of a scrap yard dog) went in this evening, lady asked her if she wanted the usual 2 beers,

i think the sharp  response of "no we can buy when we go out now at 7/11 got her back up somewhat!. 

We maybe still drinking stockpiled beer on which duty has already been paid. Increase won't surface until new stock is purchased from the brewery, where the tax is paid.

Just a thought?

Tiger in 7-Eleven still 56B

Edited by VocalNeal

bought a 24 pack tiger cans yesterday paid 767 from wholesaler.  before increase from same place 732.  so went up 35 baht. little under 5 % increase, but i remember from other increase that wholesalers might jack the price at the start but then as everyone starts to see what everyone else is doing price drops by a few baht.

Just bought 6 small Chang at Lotus, Salaya, price per bottle, 34 Baht. Shelf stock is dwindling and not being replenished.  Also bought a 1 litre Bells Scotch, never tried before, at a cost of 499, so don't know if same, cheaper or dearer.  Looked at the wines and most appear to be at pre-tax increase.  Actually saw that Bailey's Irish Cream had been reduced by 200 baht, maybe to get rid of old stock.:wai:

18 hours ago, jessicar said:

1 week now we got the new tax on alcohol but it's still the same price.

I expect the brewerys are asked to make new bottles to avoid shopowners to keep a lot in stock and sell it after for a higher price. ( Including me ?) or has anyone seen a higher price already? Except the small shops around the corner?

There are microchips on the new labels.

Around Wiang Chai Big bottle of  Chang is up 2 baht that the only one I buy so don't know about the rest and don't smoke any more either. When I first came to Thailand in 1994 a big bottle of Carlsberg was 20 baht  Amarit and Kloster a bit less as Carlsberg was the premium. Sin tax in my home country of Canada has raised prices far more than that in that same time period. So not such a big deal as far as I am concerned.

Talked to three shop/restaurant owners, 2 Thai, 1 Foreigner: They buy now for 2 baht more for small bottles, 5 baht more for biggies. Biggies, including my German Hefeweizen. No price increase with them. So I continue to drink as usual.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:01 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

However, a small bottle is now 320ml rather than the earlier on 330ml, and just a few years ago for Singha, 350ml.

Mac

small bottles have been 320 ml for ages.....and large bottles have had less liquid in them for ages too.....another money making scam !!!