How Much Does Concrete Cost

krayner

Can anybody give me the approximate price for premixed concrete per cubic metre. I am planning a fish pond and I am inclined to over engineer it so need to know how huch more it would cost me to do this.

Depends on the compressive strength, how far away you are from where it is mixed, how much competition there is in the area etc. I recently paid 1400 baht per cubic metre for 15m³ of 325kg/cm³. The delivery distance is about 10km and I bought 15m³. Longer distance would increase the price a little bit (not much), larger volume will decrease the price.

If you are going to use it for a fish pond, I guess you need water proofing additives? That adds to the price.

Edited by lingling

Can anybody give me the approximate price for premixed concrete per cubic metre. I am planning a fish pond and I am inclined to over engineer it so need to know how huch more it would cost me to do this.

Depends on the compressive strength, how far away you are from where it is mixed, how much competition there is in the area etc. I recently paid 1400 baht per cubic metre for 15m³ of 325kg/cm³. The delivery distance is about 10km and I bought 15m³. Longer distance would increase the price a little bit (not much), larger volume will decrease the price.

If you are going to use it for a fish pond, I guess you need water proofing additives? That adds to the price.

Wow, great price........ didn't realize it was still so low.

On the waterproofing admixtures, there is no "True" waterproofing admixture, but air entrainment and a water reducer will help, Elastomeric (rubber based) paints are normally used to prrof your concrete pool or pond.

Just a caution, make sure that the pond is reinforced to reduce/prevent cracking. Nothing worse in a pool/pond than a big crack.

Edited by Diablo Bob

Wow, great price........ didn't realize it was still so low.

We did some shopping around - Cementhai etc quoted much higher prices.

Just a caution, make sure that the pond is reinforced to reduce/prevent cracking. Nothing worse in a pool/pond than a big crack.

...and make sure that the reinforcement is _in_ the concrete. Local construction workers tend to put the rebar steel right down on the gravel, sand or dirt under and then pouring concrete over it. Or letting it come too close to the edges. Total waste of steel.

How would air entrainment help in water proofing concrete?

Chownah

Simple......

As you know Chownah an air entraining admixture produces increadibly small air bubbles. These bubbles not only assist in inhibiting the effects of freeze/thaw but the intrusion of water through the cappilary pores in hardened concrete. Read the benifits in an ACI publication and one of them is decreased permeability.

As I said, there is no true admixture to make concrete water proof. They all reduce not stop the flow of water, if you want it truly waterproof, use a plastic membrane.

How would air entrainment help in water proofing concrete?

Chownah

Simple......

As you know Chownah an air entraining admixture produces increadibly small air bubbles. These bubbles not only assist in inhibiting the effects of freeze/thaw but the intrusion of water through the cappilary pores in hardened concrete. Read the benifits in an ACI publication and one of them is decreased permeability.

As I said, there is no true admixture to make concrete water proof. They all reduce not stop the flow of water, if you want it truly waterproof, use a plastic membrane.

I am still very much at the back of a fag packet design stage so that gives me an idea of rough costs. Given the volumes involved as this will be a large pond, swimming pool size, I had better get some expert advice as I no next to nothing about designing in reinforced concrete.

Where are you building it, how are the soil conditions, water table etc? In many parts of [central] TH all you need to do is dig a hole, thanks to compact clay, high water table etc etc.

I want it to be partially above aground hence the need for good reinforcing but the soil condions are such that it wouldn't hold water anyway. This is a long term project so I am not about to rush out and start building but i want to know what I am letting myself in for.