SURVEY: Is a military strike against North Korea justified?

Scott

SURVEY: Is a military strike on North Korea justified?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kim Jong Un has stated that he may detonate a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean.   In your opinion which of the above options best describes your position on military action against North Korea.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both Trump and Kim skipped class the day their schools taught; 'Let Cool Heads Prevail.'

US right-wingers (by electing Trump) are already responsible for much added suffering (ww and nationally), ...yet they could also be unwitting parties to an unwarranted (and world's first) nuke war.

In the bigger picture, the Korean problems stem from over-population, as do the problems with mass migrations to Europe and the US, Rohinga problems, Middle East, etc etc, ad nauseum

A "mentally deranged"  president vs a "little rocket man" dictator who are both just itching to play with their nuke toys best to just put them both in a ring and let them slug it out.

Whatever happened to "make love not war" and "give peace a chance" 

Only if the US and its allies see evidence of a pending missile launch with any type of warhead attached should they should take out the launch facility.   If the DPRK responds with an attack on South Korea or any other nation, the US and its allies should destroy the DPRK, which can be done.  Trump will have to get China and Russia on board with all this first.

This is a very volatile situation.  I would assign 50-50 odds that we are headed toward WW III.  None of the world leaders are very stable.

15 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Only if the US and its allies see evidence of a pending missile launch with any type of warhead attached should they should take out the launch facility.   If the DPRK responds with an attack on South Korea or any other nation, the US and its allies should destroy the DPRK, which can be done.  Trump will have to get China and Russia on board with all this first.

This is a very volatile situation.  I would assign 50-50 odds that we are headed toward WW III.  None of the world leaders are very stable.

China, Russia, Germany, Japan, all very stable. Just USA as a worldleader is not very stable.

Edited by stevenl

15 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

China, Russia, Germany, all very stable. Just USA as a worldleader is not very stable.

Kim Jong Un is stable?

Putin is stable?

Duerte is stable?

Rouhani is stable?

Kim is convinced, OK convinced himself, the USA and South Corea, are planning to invade his country to topple his regime.  "Theoretically"  it should be understandable due to the fact, among other things, the US keeps 28 000 troops in South Corea.  I am not condoning the North Korean regime, of course not. Just trying to be 5 minutes in their shoes.   Kim could be thinking about the fate of Sadam or Ghadafi for instance and had they possessed the atomic weapon they probably would still be in power.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

China, Russia, Germany, Japan, all very stable. Just USA as a worldleader is not very stable.

China and Russia are stable because they control their people.  And those in power can literally do anything they want.  Legal or not.  You wouldn't be having this conversation if you lived there. 

Seems doubtful to me, however having both the military complex and the media basically run by the same people it is difficult to divine truth from propaganda. One lot claims Kim a CIA plant, others a tool of the Chinese, who knows where the truth lies?

What saddens me is to see both government and opposition in Oz falling over each other to show who is better enslaved to the US. Both want war and both will send troops to Korea is asked. What a sad yapping poodle we have become where all we desire is to go abroad and kill at the bequest of another those that have done nothing to us.

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Kim is convinced, OK convinced himself, the USA and South Corea, are planning to invade his country to topple his regime.

"Theoretically"  it should be understandable due to the fact, among other things, the US keeps 28 000 troops in South Corea.

I am not condoning the North Korean regime, of course not. Just trying to be 5 minutes in their shoes. 

Kim could be thinking about the fate of Sadam or Ghadafi for instance and had they possessed the atomic weapon they probably would still be in power.

A weapon wouldn't have saved Ghadafi.  His own people did him in.  It's a sad commentary when we believe a country with a maniacal dictator would be better off if they had nuclear weapons.  To defend themselves while they brutalize their own people and threaten their neighbors.:sad:

1 minute ago, Rancid said:

Seems doubtful to me, however having both the military complex and the media basically run by the same people it is difficult to divine truth from propaganda. One lot claims Kim a CIA plant, others a tool of the Chinese, who knows where the truth lies?

What saddens me is to see both government and opposition in Oz falling over each other to show who is better enslaved to the US. Both want war and both will send troops to Korea is asked. What a sad yapping poodle we have become where all we desire is to go abroad and kill at the bequest of another those that have done nothing to us.

So who runs the military complex?  A name would be great. LOL.  We'll match it up with a name you provide for the person running the media. LOL  Nice conspiracy theory.

Sad commentary when you criticize your own country for trying to do the right thing.  Deal with country that's violated UN resolutions for years. 

Nobody wants war.  The world wants a denuclearized Korean peninsula.

23 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Kim Jong Un is stable?

Putin is stable?

Duerte is stable?

Rouhani is stable?

Kim is not stable, but I don't think he is a worldleader. Neither are Duerte, Rouhani and any others leaders of on the worldstage small countries.

Yes, Putin is very stable.

18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

China and Russia are stable because they control their people.  And those in power can literally do anything they want.  Legal or not.  You wouldn't be having this conversation if you lived there. 

Nothing to do with my claim nor the argument. China and Russia are stable.

One of three things will happen I believe:

1. North Korea has coup de taut that takes out rocket man (regime change) eventually leading to reunification.

2. China invades and takes out rocket man enabling a regime change, but does not reunify Korea.

3. Russia invades and annexes N. Korea for themselves.

I hope #1 is the way it goes.

32 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I cannot speak about China, but I can assure you that Russians are not prevented from holding alternative political views nor are they prevented from enunciating them. Putin may have an iron grip on authority, but the image of Stasi Germany that you are inferring is a false one.

1 hour ago, soumanioco said:

Japan is the key player here. 

If Japan introduces in its parliament a bill to allow them to develop their own nuclear weapons then China will get the shock they need to act seriously against Kim Jun Un

Military action now is a frightening idea but...what is then the alternative : to wait until Kim Jung Un has mastered completely the launch of nuclear weapons?

There is a precedent with Hitler when he broke in 1936 the Versailles Treaty and suddenly moved his army into the demilitarized Rhineland. All experts agree that if the Allied powers would have retaliated immediately that the Nazi regime would have been completely defeated....but they choose to wait while Hitler was building up a powerful army ...and they continued to talk..and talk...and then Hitler always went further and annexed Sudetenland...and then again talks ...and talks...and UK Prime Minister Chamberlain went so far as to accept the annexation and he signed a "peace deal" with Hitler while the latter was already preparing to attack Poland.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I cannot speak about China, but I can assure you that Russians are not prevented from holding alternative political views nor are they prevented from enunciating them. Putin may have an iron grip on authority, but the image of Stasi Germany that you are inferring is a false one.

The looooong list of Putin critics that are no longer with us says it all.  Along with the violent shutdowns of political rallies there.  It's not Stasi Germany for sure, but far from being a country with full freedom of the press.

1 hour ago, Bannoi said:

A "mentally deranged"  president vs a "little rocket man" dictator who are both just itching to play with their nuke toys best to just put them both in a ring and let them slug it out.

Whatever happened to "make love not war" and "give peace a chance" 

Never existed! Sorry.

I saw a documentary (I think it was NatGeo) about a single western doctor and his support staff being allowed to enter NK for a very short time, a few days to a week. In that time he was allowed to do cataract surgery on several hundred people who were literally blinded previously. He worked constantly doing as many procedures as possible.  The patients all came to a big reveal where they all took of their bandages together and could see. They wept and thanked their "Dear Leader" for the gift of sight. Yeah, I say murder that son of a bitch and free the 25 million slaves that live there. 

53 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Kim Jong Un is stable?

Putin is stable?

Duerte is stable?

Rouhani is stable?

With the exception of Putin none of the "leaders" mentioned are world leaders. One may like or dislike Putin (I don't), but he seems to be stable.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The looooong list of Putin critics that are no longer with us says it all.  Along with the violent shutdowns of political rallies there.  It's not Stasi Germany for sure, but far from being a country with full freedom of the press.

Freedom of the press is a rarity in any country - but you stated:

"You wouldn't be having this conversation if you lived there."

And that is simply false.

Just now, ThaiWai said:

I saw a documentary (I think it was NatGeo) about a single western doctor and his support staff being allowed to enter NK for a very short time, a few days to a week. In that time he was allowed to do cataract surgery on several hundred people who were literally blinded previously. He worked constantly doing as many procedures as possible.  The patients all came to a big reveal where they all took of their bandages together and could see. They wept and thanked their "Dear Leader" for the gift of sight. Yeah, I say murder that son of a bitch and free the 25 million slaves that live there. 

A perfect scenario would be for South Korea, (U.S. backed) to invade and take over the entire country! However, the military exchange would kill many in both Korea's, and then......Here's the kicker .... Who is going to support, feed and house the millions of North Koreans that don't know how a free society lives. It would be a huge undertaking by the U.N.,  which might explain the softening posture of Trump towards the U.N!