SURVEY: Is a military strike against North Korea justified?

Scott

SURVEY: Is a military strike on North Korea justified?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'd pretty much guarantee if Kim stopped his nuclear weapons program, got rid of the thousands of weapons aimed at Seoul, and stopped incursions into SK, the US would seriously consider removing troops.

Trump is an absolute disgrace and is only making things worse.

And I'd pretty much guarantee that if the US stopped with exercises next to North Korea and withdrew its army/airforce/navy, NK would seriously consider stopping with its nuclear weapons programme.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The Americans have produced videos of foreign cities being nuked and played them during national celebrations?  Ones showing heads of states in flames?  Really?  Please show me them.

Steal Syrian oil?  You're trolling.

Never mind...

Edited by mikebike

2 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Only if the US and its allies see evidence of a pending missile launch with any type of warhead attached should they should take out the launch facility.   If the DPRK responds with an attack on South Korea or any other nation, the US and its allies should destroy the DPRK, which can be done.  Trump will have to get China and Russia on board with all this first.

This is a very volatile situation.  I would assign 50-50 odds that we are headed toward WW III.  None of the world leaders are very stable.

President Trump won't wait for China or Russian approval - he will hit first then ask later.  I grew up in the inner city gangs of East Providence and if someone came up to you and said  "I'm gonna kick your ass" he would have been hit, kicked and pbly stabbed within seconds"  we didn't have guns in those days, or I would pbly have just shot him. You don't make idle threats without being able to back them up, and you never, never announce your intention, you just do it.  President Trump certainly didn't grow up in a gang, but he was surrounded by them in New York and could read the papers.  I think Kim Jung Un is more gang-like than Trump  -  but I don't doubt a second that Trump will respond immediately - has anyone forgotten Syria, he told Assad not to use Gas on innocents, he did, we bombed, they haven't done it since.

St Peter, open up the gates, you're going to have a lot of innocent visitors soon.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And I'd pretty much guarantee that if the US stopped with exercises next to North Korea and withdrew its army/airforce/navy, NK would seriously consider stopping with its nuclear weapons programme.

Ummm...who was it that started the Korean war?  And you're blaming the US for being there to protect the South?  By their invitation?  Really? LOL

20 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Absolute, total rocking BS.  Boy statesman appeased and enabled this psychopath for 8 years, and THAT'S who we have to thank for this.   <snip

A reality check would be appropriate...

The main approach of the last four years of the Obama administration was to push for more international sanctions, covertly sabotage North Korea’s missiles, provide defense systems to North Korea’s neighbors, and call on China’s leaders to do more to pressure Kim.

Is this starting to sound familiar?  A number of observers have pointed out that there’s more continuity between the Trump and Obama approaches than you might think. This makes sense given that avoiding direct confrontation with North Korea is probably the only option for avoiding a body count in the tens of thousands if not more. And despite the rhetorical fire and fury unleashed by the president Tuesday, more level-headed officials like Tillerson are indicating that the U.S. policy on North Korea hasn’t changed. One might even call that policy “strategic patience (plus tweets).”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/08/09/the_trump_administration_ssams_obama_s_strategic_patience_toward_north_korea.html

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm...who was it that started the Korean war?  And you're blaming the US for being there to protect the South?  By their invitation?  Really? LOL

And again, you're reacting to something that was said nor implied.

At the present time the US is not going to withdraw forces nor will N Korea stop its nuclear program or its missile program.  IMHO a first start could be a temporary stalemate on US- S Korean Training exercises and a call to the negotiating table for NKorea and the US to start to talk. Possibly talks sponsored by China or Russia would be effective.  The rhetoric needs to be toned down. Trump needs to keep quiet and China needs to tell Kim to also keep quiet. The bellicosity produces nothing and merely ramps up emotions on both sides.

There is still a ways to go before war breaks out and I very much doubt the US will strike first. However, a N Korean nuclear test in the Pacific would mean a fitted live nuclear weapon on a missile flown over Japan that is exploded somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  That would leave many countries open to radioactive fallout and surely the United Nations would come together as never before and possibly approve some type of Naval blockade on the North. If they didn't, I am sure the US along with S Korea, Japan and possibly Australia and the UK would carry out such a blockade. If that didn't work or Kim attacks- then war would commence.  However, it is incumbent upon the US to try everything short of war to try and alleviate the situation.

At present, there is not a buildup of US Forces in the Pacific- no troops have been moved to Foreign  Bases from America; no US planes have been  moved to Japan or Singapore or Thailand. There is time to ratchet down the confrontation and negotiate it out. However, if Kim explodes that nuclear bomb in the atmosphere things get a lot more complicated.

4 minutes ago, Goanna said:

A small targeted missile, to take out the looney and his supporters. Most NK citizens would be happy to raise their standard of living. Welcome to the free world.

Yes 100% agreed. But there is no Intel in that country on movement. If the they miss. He will launch on a close country.

The only resolution is flatten the NTH

3 hours ago, Bannoi said:

A "mentally deranged"  president vs a "little rocket man" dictator who are both just itching to play with their nuke toys best to just put them both in a ring and let them slug it out.

Whatever happened to "make love not war" and "give peace a chance" 

Those times are long gone ... consumerism won , egoism and greed took over ... all about the money now .

What a pity ...

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Absolute bullshit

3 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Whatever happened to "make love not war" and "give peace a chance" 

Those times are long gone ... consumerism won , egoism and greed took over ... all about the money now .

What a pity ...

Yes. We don't use Lysergic acid diethylamide anymore. AKA LSD. Mushies may be still on the menu but.

Edited by Goanna

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

Seems doubtful to me, however having both the military complex and the media basically run by the same people it is difficult to divine truth from propaganda. One lot claims Kim a CIA plant, others a tool of the Chinese, who knows where the truth lies?

What saddens me is to see both government and opposition in Oz falling over each other to show who is better enslaved to the US. Both want war and both will send troops to Korea is asked. What a sad yapping poodle we have become where all we desire is to go abroad and kill at the bequest of another those that have done nothing to us.

Who claimed Kim is a "CIA plant"? Who claimed he's a "tool of the Chinese?" I mean, other than you.

Don't agree with the questions; why? The term 'justification' . It is subjective. What may be 'justified' differs from person to person as it suggests an action was 'reasonable'. It is also a 'gentle get-out' as it implies a kind of denial of responsibility for the result of the action. While I agree this term may be useful in law making when faced with criminal intent but we are talking WAR AND POSSIBLY THE START OF WW111 here. This is hard and harsh and the question should reflect that. IMHO There can be no justification for starting WW111; so why not just ask 'Do you agree (not agree) that there be a prior military strike against NK.' (or something similar.)

IMO NK knows it'll get little or no backing from its allies if it carries out its threats, so I don't agree with a preempted strike against NK. IMO a preempted strike would unify them.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Not that I place much trust in your guarantees (or Craig's, that matter). But under your "guarantee", Seoul is still being held hostage by Kim's artillery.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

President Trump won't wait for China or Russian approval - he will hit first then ask later.  I grew up in the inner city gangs of East Providence and if someone came up to you and said  "I'm gonna kick your ass" he would have been hit, kicked and pbly stabbed within seconds"  we didn't have guns in those days, or I would pbly have just shot him. You don't make idle threats without being able to back them up, and you never, never announce your intention, you just do it.  President Trump certainly didn't grow up in a gang, but he was surrounded by them in New York and could read the papers.  I think Kim Jung Un is more gang-like than Trump  -  but I don't doubt a second that Trump will respond immediately - has anyone forgotten Syria, he told Assad not to use Gas on innocents, he did, we bombed, they haven't done it since.

St Peter, open up the gates, you're going to have a lot of innocent visitors soon.

Russia was notified by Trump's administration before the missile attack on Syria.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Kim can loudmouth all he wants knowing there will not be a nuclear strike against his country. China, S.K, Japan and Russia would be affected by any fallout. Isn't Seoul about 50 km from the border?

The U.S. will respond to NK with conventional weapons.  It's more than enough to splatter fat ass.  And it won't start WW 3.