New Build in Khon Kaen

46 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

This might have been covered already in the thread but how many windows do u need? And what is the average amount that u need to pay for a window? (I am talking windows only here not sliding doors leading to a balcony.) What glass did u choose? E-Glass or double glass etc? What window frame u selected wood or pvc and why?

The traditional look of this house calls for wood,

and I really like the wood look and feel, but as I said in other replies, I aim for low maintenance, and we all know wood is high maintenance. 

In my Florida home where the climate is similar to Thailand I Have Aluminum windows. The house is now 18 years old and I never had a single issue with the windows, for that reason I chose Aluminum windows,  with a wood look finish.

I have not decided on the Glass type yet, I am researching the issue right now. Any comments and or  advise will be appreciated and considered. 

PS: we are considering casement windows 

Image result for casement windows

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

and we all know wood is high maintenance. 

A lot depends upon what you define as "high maintenance", our teak / mai deang windows and doors just need a rub and re-varnish every couple of years. We have a man to do them for us :smile:

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The traditional look of this house calls for wood,

and I really like the wood look and feel, but as I said in other replies, I aim for low maintenance, and we all know wood is high maintenance. 

In my Florida home where the climate is similar to Thailand I Have Aluminum windows. The house is now 18 years old and I never had a single issue with the windows, for that reason I chose Aluminum windows,  with a wood look finish.

I have not decided on the Glass type yet, I am researching the issue right now. Any comments and or  advise will be appreciated and considered. 

PS: we are considering casement windows 

Image result for casement windows

Yes maybe aluminum frames are best although pvc frames are ok also but perhaps quickly those look dirty. I think E glass is a good choice ..i think i prefer slide windows not like the one to fold  open.

Just now, Crossy said:

A lot depends upon what you define as "high maintenance", our teak / mai deang windows and doors just need a rub and re-varnish every couple of years. We have a man to do them for us :smile:

As I said in other replies. After retirement, we plan to travel a lot , so we will not be at that home for long periods of time (months at the time) . Also I am older than my wife , and as much as I might not want to  , I will probably go belly up first.

Knowing my wife and her ability and or desire for home maintenance, I don't think wood  would be a viable option for as. 

PS:I have seen pictures of your home , and I love the look.

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes maybe aluminum frames are best although pvc frames are ok also but perhaps quickly those look dirty. I think E glass is a good choice ..i think i prefer slide windows not like the one to fold  open.

Sliding windows are nice .

Two issues I have with then are that you can only open half the window (difficult to drop water balloons at people below :tongue:)  ,and that if not properly installed they can be easily opened from the outside by lifting them off their track. One advantage is that they don't have hinges to brake.

I agree with the solar E glass choice, keeping heat out of the house as a must in Thailand.

^^^^^

I also have nothing against UPVC ,I know the technology has come a long way, and that they are a viable option, It s just that I had experience with aluminum, and I tend to stick with what I know.

Sorry for the wood mantra.

But we are in a country where tropical hardwood is readily available at a price which incites mega-jealousy in our compatriots back home. The "modern" materials are often more expensive and of "dicey" quality.

Why would you not have teak, teak and more teak?

Ok, I'll shut up now :smile:

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I'm not so sure about this "permanent" art.

If I was stuck with what was on my wall even 15 years ago ...

Framed images can be removed when (not if) tastes change, and I'm usually not in the smallest room long enough to appreciate the fine arts (OK I'm usually reading the "paper").

I have to agree, Other than looking down at the product of my efforts and thinking "boy that's a Beauty " The last thing I think about in the bathroom is art:tongue:

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sliding windows are nice .

Two issues I have with then are that you can only open half the window (difficult to drop water balloons at people below :tongue:)  ,and that if not properly installed they can be easily opened from the outside by lifting them off their track. One advantage is that they don't have hinges to brake.

I agree with the solar E glass choice, keeping heat out of the house as a must in Thailand.

Atleast from one floor up all can be slide windows and they can be secured easily anyway i would pick slide all windows. What thickness the E glass?

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Atleast from one floor up all can be slide windows and they can be secured easily anyway i would pick slide all windows. What thickness the E glass?

I don't know much about E glass , other than what I have read on my google search .

No decision has been made yet so I am open to suggestions.What Thickness should I be asking for ? 

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't know much about E glass , other than what I have read on my google search .

No decision has been made yet so I am open to suggestions.What Thickness should I be asking for ? 

I think Naam has  selected 8mm. Curious what they will quote u for those windows including the frames.I have a condo that i will soon need to replace several windows with frames also...

The price for the windows was included in the price for the home, I am not sure right now what the allowance for windows was, (wife has contract with her).We agreed for aluminum, wood grain paint windows and that I will pay extra for any upgrades. 

The windows will not be installed for a few weeks , Other than the basics ,We are just starting to think about it.

They are still working on the walls, and started work on the Koi pond under the stairs.

The walls over the windows are being done with the cavity sealed.

5a2be4f71b940_wallswithtop2.jpg.b0f63bd6bff6739bb089a848069d0fa5.jpg

and the Koi pond  formed 

pool2.jpg.a2fd5d778802fe09595b3720eae98073.jpg

poured

pool1.jpg.cf5e2c2193e66e614f7f62a1911540e9.jpg

I know I talk about low maintenance ,and Koi ponds are Hi maintenance, but That's something I always wanted. I think when I am there I will make a small waterfall on one side. If it becomes too much of a problem I can always just keep water plants and guppies 

Image result for fish guppies

Quality stone look tiles for me. Can be anything from granite to marble look.. No art .

As much as I cringe when I say it , in a design like this I'd have to go with natural and matching wood window and doors.

Two year refinishes are labor heavy / high maintenance in my books.

But the design needs wood or wood look.

I'm looking fwd  to seeing  this wood grained aluminium.

33 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I not sure about aluminum window frames they certainly going to get hot.

whats against wooden or Pvc window frames?

The heat conductivity of aluminum is certainly higher than wood or PVC but frames are such a small percentage of the window area that the difference is negligible IMO

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:
16 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think Naam has  selected 8mm. Curious what they will quote u for those windows including the frames.I have a condo that i will soon need to replace several windows with frames also...

correct.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

nothing beats properly coated or anodised aluminium windows. e.g. our house in Germany built in 1973 with AL windows and doors = zero maintenance.

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

If it becomes too much of a problem I can always just keep water plants and guppies

We have guppies in with the koi, they seem to ignore one another. I expect the odd guppy gets in the way of a hungry koi but they breed so fast the numbers keep increasing.

I know where the guppies cam from (Wifey slipped a few in) but we also have some little black chaps, no idea what they are or where they came from.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

as i mentioned before... any heat load on frames is neglible compared to the heat load passing through the glass.

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

nothing beats properly coated or anodised aluminium windows. e.g. our house in Germany built in 1973 with AL windows and doors = zero maintenance.

Yes exactly i now am considering for condo the coated aluminum window frames with 8 mm E glass. Not sure yet have them to slide open sideways or upwards.

4 hours ago, Naam said:

as i mentioned before... any heat load on frames is neglible compared to the heat load passing through the glass.

Exactly.....and it;s not like the Alu is solid most of the heat will be conducting through a couple of bits of fram 2mm thick.

Agree with Naam Alu windows last for donkeys' years.

I'm going to be having a row of swing type clerestory windows high up on a 4m high sitting room wall, with big art underneath.

I will need to open them from standing height with a pole or cord.Any recommendations?. If i go for bronze Alu for all the other windows to match the chalet next door can I find this swing opening type to match?

ps I like the idea there can be convection of hot air out of these.

pps The light will come in and some

hit a single plane ceiling sloping down, should diffuse nicely, but the windows will be under an upper roof overhang. It occurred to me a lot more light would come in if there was a fairly horizontal reflective panel outside sticking out from the bottom of each window, refuting light up and in to the ceiling. In fact the panels could swing up to close like shutters to stop the light if required. Anyone seen anything like this?

6 hours ago, Naam said:

My Florida home was build in 1999 also zero maintenance

image.png.098e14e4fd8a559652bb4282bf054e4f.png

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have guppies in with the koi, they seem to ignore one another. I expect the odd guppy gets in the way of a hungry koi but they breed so fast the numbers keep increasing.

I know where the guppies cam from (Wifey slipped a few in) but we also have some little black chaps, no idea what they are or where they came from.

If we are thinking of the same fish , they are called black mollies , as far as to where they come from , didn't your mom have that talk with you yet? :tongue:

Image result for black mollies

2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Exactly.....and it;s not like the Alu is solid most of the heat will be conducting through a couple of bits of fram 2mm thick.

Agree with Naam Alu windows last for donkeys' years.

I'm going to be having a row of swing type clerestory windows high up on a 4m high sitting room wall, with big art underneath.

I will need to open them from standing height with a pole or cord.Any recommendations?. If i go for bronze Alu for all the other windows to match the chalet next door can I find this swing opening type to match?

ps I like the idea there can be convection of hot air out of these.

pps The light will come in and some

hit a single plane ceiling sloping down, should diffuse nicely, but the windows will be under an upper roof overhang. It occurred to me a lot more light would come in if there was a fairly horizontal reflective panel outside sticking out from the bottom of each window, refuting light up and in to the ceiling. In fact the panels could swing up to close like shutters to stop the light if required. Anyone seen anything like this?

If I understand this correctly 

image.png.ff3c5927c211306bbf92d46f0f8042cd.png

It is certainly a very creative idea to introduce more light in an area. Some of the negatives (i am sure you consider also ) might be that such a reflector will be an area for birds and other critters to nest, and for dirt and leaves to collect.  If the negatives outweigh the positive of enhanced light reflection into the room ...... 

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

If we are thinking of the same fish , they are called black mollies , as far as to where they come from , didn't your mom have that talk with you yet? :tongue:

No they're not mollies, I'll try and get a photo, black with a light dot towards the tail. They were in the pond before we introduced the guppies.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

My Florida home was build in 1999 also zero maintenance

image.png.098e14e4fd8a559652bb4282bf054e4f.png

Image result for black mollies

If I understand this correctly 

image.png.ff3c5927c211306bbf92d46f0f8042cd.png

It is certainly a very creative idea to introduce more light in an area. Some of the negatives (i am sure you consider also ) might be that such a reflector will be an area for birds and other critters to nest, and for dirt and leaves to collect.  If the negatives outweigh the positive of enhanced light reflection into the room ...... 

Yes kinda like that Sirineou

though they would be windows swinging open outwards at the bottomed inwards at the top hinged probably just above half way up the window.the windows would not be so big, maybe 80cm top to bottom, and was thinking of there reflective panel coming out further.

It would be under the high end of a single pitch roof of steel and pretty close up to the overhang (as there will probably be a lean-to style of bedroom for the niece underneath, which is why more light reflecting up would be good.

The reflective panels could easily swing up to close on the window on a hinged bottom with a simple cord and pulley arrangement.

2 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Yes kinda like that Sirineou

though they would be windows swinging open outwards at the bottomed inwards at the top hinged probably just above half way up the window.the windows would not be so big, maybe 80cm top to bottom, and was thinking of there reflective panel coming out further.

It would be under the high end of a single pitch roof of steel and pretty close up to the overhang (as there will probably be a lean-to style of bedroom for the niece underneath, which is why more light reflecting up would be good.

The reflective panels could easily swing up to close on the window on a hinged bottom with a simple cord and pulley arrangement.

Sounds like a creative idea , and with the bottom of the windows swinging out should be able to clean , if the window is not too high to get to.

Also if it swings up to close the window, it might be made to swing down also and dump any debris that accumulate on it.  

11 hours ago, cheeryble said:

It is certainly a very creative idea to introduce more light in an area.

especially in the tropics where there is eye hurting light 12 hours a day. i am glad having installed 60% tinted windows as well as light blocking drapes.

4 hours ago, Naam said:

especially in the tropics where there is eye hurting light 12 hours a day. i am glad having installed 60% tinted windows as well as light blocking drapes.

Yes but it's a largish room......7m x 5.5m......and between 3.25m and 4m high.....and as these windows are quite close under the roof overhang, even on the south side I'm a bit concerned to be sure of enough light. There will be wide glass doornjms on the opposite side but I've arranged the roof there to overhang by at least 2 to 3m, as it will be a nice verandah seating area...and that sides north facing....so I fear for lack of light. One end wall will abutt other rooms, the other end will be under a carport roof so window there will have limited efficacy.

I think this is a good idea as it will only add light reflected up and in and will then shine on the ceiling so will be diffused rather than in the eyes. Whether ill do it is another question.....bit of a hassle.....but worth keeping in reserve. 

Difficult to guesstimate if there'll be enough light.....I'm sitting in grandma's house right now with light coming through regular windows in the south wall and it's coming at angle of 45deg across the floor but reaching less than 2m in.......delightful, but it's mid winter so the sun is lowest, the roof overhang will cut out more sun on both houses in the summer.

But there MUST be enough light. Only thing is to find another place with these high windows to check the light coming in.

Anyone got or know of somewhere in CM?

Hmmm (scratches chin)

ps not wanting to monopolise your excellent thread Sirineou

pps also wondering about raising the new house a little praps laying the ground beams on top of the base instead of digging into it.

It would be nice but I have to consider the future and things like mobility for mum or me both late sixties...... Who knows what might happen in this world? (Ha ha grandmas still climbing trees at 87 or so we have to pull her down)

AB28F357-D0C8-4894-88E4-D433093331C8.jpeg

Archived