New Build in Khon Kaen

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Only if I exhaust all passive ventilation options without success  will I then have to result in to a mechanical solution. And If I have to result to a mechanical solution I like to do it when I am there so that I can explore the best possible option.

In one of my housed in NY I had a ceiling exhaust fan ,

image.jpeg.70a82eb241bd1b61c7a374d678d73770.jpeg

Something like this.

It worked great!  If you closed all the windows in the house  and only opened the windows on the shady side it drew cooler air from that side and made a significant difference, and at the same time pushed all the hot attic air. If we ever had to do any work in the attic in the summer, we would turn it on for a litle while and you could not believe the difference it made there.

I have not seen these fans readily available in Thailand as they are in the US where you can buy one at any home depot. but I am sure if one looked hard enough one could find it in Thailand. I will look in to it when I am there.

I realise that the time to do it id now, but there is no way my wife or the builder I am using would do it right. 

If I do a mechanical ventilation system , the above will be my first preference.

The problem here being there is no cool air in the shade. It's winter now and 90F. Wait till the hot season gets here and it over 100F in the shade. No way to pull cool air from the outside. Good thing about a 2 story house is that it is cooler downstairs as opposed to a one story house. I find that most of the heat inside comes through the windows. Awnings and heavy drapes do help.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have not seen these fans readily available in Thailand as they are in the US where you can buy one at any home depot.

any kind of fan is available in Thailand although not exactly fitted with flaps meant to be used like the "whole-house fans" in the U.S. (the flaps are on the exhaust side).

i installed one in our home in Thailand but not blowing into the attic but to the outside. during the hot season the fan is used for a short time in the mornings before sunrise and during the cool season for as long as the outside temperature is lower than the temperature in the house.

for attic ventilation a different exhaust fan is used.

apropos perforated aluminium soffits. my wife reminded me of our first home in Florida which was built in our absence. as it was meant as a holiday home for a couple of months per year we were not too picky and quite satisfied. the whole-house fan was installed in the utility room sucking indoor air blowing into the attic and i was quite fascinated too run it. then we found out that hot air from the attic was blowing through every electric socket because the framed walls were not sealed on top and neither the roof vents nor the perforated soffits provided enough outlet for the pressurised air. so much for the efficiency of perforated soffits. :laugh:

p.s. i had the framed walls then sealed with PU-foam.

9 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

The problem here being there is no cool air in the shade. It's winter now and 90F. Wait till the hot season gets here and it over 100F in the shade. No way to pull cool air from the outside.

except in the early mornings before sunrise. those who are not early risers like me spend an additional 250 Baht baht for a timer.

Thank you for that Rdrokit , I am inclined to agree with you. 

I chose this design  for exactly the reasons you stated., Firstly given my personality I hate sitting inside the house.

Simply stated stated I am an "outside Cat"  put a plate of milk by the window (cold beer LOL) and I am happy meandering around the garden.

A couple of ceiling fans downstairs, a radio playing Lukthung isaan music ( I have a secret crush on Thai Orathai) and a cold beer and I am happy.

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

any kind of fan is available in Thailand although not exactly fitted with flaps meant to be used like the "whole-house fans" in the U.S. (the flaps are on the exhaust side).

i installed one in our home in Thailand but not blowing into the attic but to the outside. during the hot season the fan is used for a short time in the mornings before sunrise and during the cool season for as long as the outside temperature is lower than the temperature in the house.

for attic ventilation a different exhaust fan is used.

apropos perforated aluminium soffits. my wife reminded me of our first home in Florida which was built in our absence. as it was meant as a holiday home for a couple of months per year we were not too picky and quite satisfied. the whole-house fan was installed in the utility room sucking indoor air blowing into the attic and i was quite fascinated too run it. then we found out that hot air from the attic was blowing through every electric socket because the framed walls were not sealed on top and neither the roof vents nor the perforated soffits provided enough outlet for the pressurised air. so much for the efficiency of perforated soffits. :laugh:

p.s. i had the framed walls then sealed with PU-foam.

But I bet you had the cleanest electric lines in FL!! LOL

16 minutes ago, Naam said:

any fan to your liking here:

Fans BKK.GIF

Thank you I saved that on my "Thai build " file

When I come there in August , my daughter and her friend will come with us, We plan to spend a couple of days in BK , then take her to Krabi and visit Pi Pi island she always wanted to go there. While in BK if I have time I will stop and take a look.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not all , only the Cool kids. :tongue:

Gosh that will exclude most of us..?

On a serious note i will start with a condo renovation in 10 days time and i also consider to post the progress here.

question i also have a house with some space (attic) about 140 cm heigh between the top floor bedroom ceiling and the real roof.

are u guys saying that if i ventilate that specific attic air that then the topfloor bedrooms will become cooler?? If not then why would i bother to ventilate the air in my attic where nobody never comes.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh that will exclude most of us..?

On a serious note i will start with a condo renovation in 10 days time and i also consider to post the progress here.

question i also have a house with some space (attic) about 140 cm heigh between the top floor bedroom ceiling and the real roof.

are u guys saying that if i ventilate that specific attic air that then the topfloor bedrooms will become cooler?? If not then why would i bother to ventilate the air in my attic where nobody never comes.

This is exactly why I post this build so that we can talk about some of these issues and learn from each other.

The main reason we want the attic space to be cooler is so some of that heat will not radiate into your living space and so that anything you have in the attic such as electric wiring  and anything else   does not bake , unventilated attic space in thailand can reach oven like temperatures. 

I assume you have insulation on the drop ceiling separating the attic from your living space, and if you don't notice any heat radiating from the ceiling then you are fine as much as this is concerned. 

Touch the ceiling, see if it feels warm to the touch .

Then if you have any mechanical in that space you might be concerned about that. 

In the US where they have wood framing , plywood seething,  and asphalt roof shingles an improperly vented  attic will bake your roof and decrease the lifespan of the system.

I hope this was helpful. 

PS: my definition of "Cool" is anyone who will talk to me, and likes tapered columns. Sorry Nam!:sad: but the good news is you still have time to repent.

50 minutes ago, sirineou said:

This is exactly why I post this build so that we can talk about some of these issues and learn from each other.

The main reason we want the attic space to be cooler is so some of that heat will not radiate into your living space and so that anything you have in the attic such as electric wiring  and anything else   does not bake , unventilated attic space in thailand can reach oven like temperatures. 

I assume you have insulation on the drop ceiling separating the attic from your living space, and if you don't notice any heat radiating from the ceiling then you are fine as much as this is concerned. 

Touch the ceiling, see if it feels warm to the touch .

Then if you have any mechanical in that space you might be concerned about that. 

In the US where they have wood framing , plywood seething,  and asphalt roof shingles an improperly vented  attic will bake your roof and decrease the lifespan of the system.

I hope this was helpful. 

PS: my definition of "Cool" is anyone who will talk to me, and likes tapered columns. Sorry Nam!:sad: but the good news is you still have time to repent.

Thanks for the invitation and i hope that Naam is not going to be a party pooper?.I agree these reno blogs a very learn full. 

Yes thanks because I simply forgot to have insulation placed on my drop ceiling this indeed will reduce the heat in my topfloor bedrooms. Will do this right away and i also will start to electrically vent out the hot attic air to the outside.My roof partially is from wood with rubber tiles  and partially from concrete but i have already put an aluminum roof layer with space inbetween over the wooden roof part for protection and durability.

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

and so that anything you have in the attic such as electric wiring  and anything else   does not bake , unventilated attic space in thailand can reach oven like temperatures. 

these temperatures are reached in Florida summers too. what suffers from attic hear in Thailand is the insulation of aircon pipes.

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Thanks for the invitation and i hope that Naam is not going to be a party pooper

i will poop without any hesitation when i read false information and wrong assumptions. it's my duty because these threads are also an important source of information for other TVmembers who read the comments without direct participating.

sirineou said

a big problem is also the condensation on the roofs inside caused by the temperature differences when solar mats for pool heating are installed. fortunately in Thailand we have roof steel structures and concrete tiles which beats hands down the flimsy American matchstick structures, plywood or particle board roofs covered with a material we use in Germany for garden huts or a doghouse.  :smile:

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

i will poop without any hesitation when i read false information and wrong assumptions. it's my duty because these threads are also an important source of information for other TVmembers who read the comments without direct participating.

As long as you poop in the bathroom like any other civilized species of the federation.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

my definition of "Cool" is anyone who will talk to me, and likes tapered columns. Sorry Nam!:sad: but the good news is you still have time to repent.

i am trying to be helpful but tapered columns are ugly and belong to ancient ruins. that also applies to Doric capitals and bases.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i am trying to be helpful but tapered columns are ugly and belong to ancient ruins. that also applies to Doric capitals and bases.

Who you call an ancient ruin, I still got a couple of good years in me,. :tongue:

That fan looks good I'll take a look at it when I get there.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

But u cant argue about someone their own taste.Naam just be glad that u don't have to live there? Fyi i think this is even nicer then your bathroom glasblocks because this also effective when its dark outside but the mirror needs of course a much bigger size.on the photo it wont show but these tiny light give a very warm effect to the bathroom spa.

IMG_2375.JPG

Just a recommendation if you want to keep the upstairs cooler. I laid Expanded Polyethylene insulation on the top side of the upstairs drop ceiling and the ceiling never gets above 80F to the touch. Comes in 5mm and 10mm thickness. I got the 10mm and is rated to keep out 95% of the heat. I bought M-PE Alu Max but there are other brands. Comes in 4 meter rolls and easy to install.

12 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Just a recommendation if you want to keep the upstairs cooler. I laid Expanded Polyethylene insulation on the top side of the upstairs drop ceiling and the ceiling never gets above 80F to the touch. Comes in 5mm and 10mm thickness. I got the 10mm and is rated to keep out 95% of the heat. I bought M-PE Alu Max but there are other brands. Comes in 4 meter rolls and easy to install.

Where did u buy that sir?

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

i think this is even nicer then your bathroom glasblocks because this also effective

when its dark outside

five halogen lamps over the mirrors of our bathrooms are effective too. did you think we depend on outside light through the glassblocks and have no lights installed to use them "when it's dark outside"?  :unsure:

20 minutes ago, Naam said:

five halogen lamps over the mirrors of our bathrooms are effective too. did you think we depend on outside light through the glassblocks and have no lights installed to use them "when it's dark outside"?  :unsure:

Well i was expecting some additional lightbulbs in ur Spa surely.lots of lights around the mirror does give nice effects i agree that.

Anyway my bathroom mirror wall is not attached to the outerwall so i need to improvise.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

lots of lights around the mirror does give nice effects i agree that.

i don't agree. these mirrors are meant for actors and ladyboys to put on layers of make-up and as far as taste is concerned... erm... i better keep my mouth shut.

p.s. i wouldn't want to be found dead in a bathroom with these lights rabugento1.gif

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

i don't agree. these mirrors are meant for actors and ladyboys to put on layers of make-up and as far as taste is concerned... erm... i better keep my mouth shut.

p.s. i wouldn't want to be found dead in a bathroom with these lights rabugento1.gif

Well on the upside that's  one invitation less for my housewarming party..its very exclusive Ikea stuff but have not finalized it yet?

7 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Just did a search as my installation is 9 years old. Seems they are making a little different insulation product but may be better than mine.

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1040800?lang=en

not familiar with this product, will look it up when I am back in Thailand

This is what they used in our drop ceiling.  CSG stay cool R27

image.png.86e67d8f0aab0de65de69e959968514a.png

Archived