New Build in Khon Kaen

My wife does things like put 101 Dalmatian stickers on the bathroom wall tiles, and all the cushions have Snow White and the like on them. No dress sense either, though they hang well on her :-)

Despite being the archetype of good taste I've kind of got used to her cushions.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok  Ok render (stucco) continues, almost done , and getting ready for  finishing details.

No Drama Dook , or builder is doing a great job.

Image may contain: plant, tree, house, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

They are still running the electric wires,  Builder also does large commercial work and has professional electricians doing a neet job, with everything neatly tucked in pipe and junction boxes.

26553486_554685744879767_809914824_n.jpg?oh=62f02e93522a84f224c1a90a73a5a418&oe=5A52A4C8

26551518_554685748213100_2049752759_n.jpg?oh=540f916e3fe6e03b8ea2d52ea53d4661&oe=5A51D660

and started with the drop ceiling

26648618_554685871546421_1233012585_n.jpg?oh=79a496095702f3e9b4a93c3137f9bfec&oe=5A5193D9

as soon as the electricians are done, They will close the droop seiling and install insulation.wife still driving me crazy with tile combinations and fixtures . I try to pretend that I care LOL

PS: I stopped  getting the " you are using some sort of ad blocker" message from TVF and having to wait 10 seconds every time I navigated anywhere. 

Made it very hard to participate in this forum. I would be happy to remove my ad blocker if  (i understand the need for ad revenue) but they have overdone it so much that my pages take too long to load with all the ads  and I fear i will have an epileptic attack with all the flashing ads. I will disable my adblock and see if things have improved now. I really appreciate this form and will like to do the right thing, but it is a two way street.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:43 AM, Currumbin said:

Nice house on some else's land.

I just see this reply.

Do we really own anything??"

In my NY home I pay  $9.000 usd  per year (property and school tax)  so in essence i rent it from the government  for $750 per month.

We are here for a short time , I try to make the best of it.

My wife owns the land and she is not somebody else , she is my wife!! for over 10 years and better than I deserve.

She is a lovely person,

I never had the fear of death, until I met her and grew to love her more than my own life. Now the thought of one day dying and leaving her by her self disturbs me greatly .

Leaving her with a house in Thailand and another one in the US is a small measure towards easing the above concern. And as bonus I get to live and enjoy life there, 

As Charlie Sheen  would say

"WINNING!!" 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I just see this reply.

Do we really own anything??"

In my NY home I pay  $9.000 usd  per year (property and school tax)  so in essence i rent it from the government  for $750 per month.

We are here for a short time , I try to make the best of it.

My wife owns the land and she is not somebody else , she is my wife!! for over 10 years and better than I deserve.

She is a lovely person,

I never had the fear of death, until I met her and grew to love her more than my own life. Now the thought of one day dying and leaving her by her self disturbs me greatly .

Leaving her with a house in Thailand and another one in the US is a small measure towards easing the above concern. And as bonus I get to live and enjoy life there, 

As Charlie Sheen  would say

"WINNING!!" 

BRAVO! :clap2:

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

Do we really own anything??

some people think they own something. they don't seem to be aware that all ownership ends when they are carried to the crematorium or the graveyard.

ps. i still don't like your bathrooms! rabugento1.gif

24 minutes ago, Naam said:

some people think they own something. they don't seem to be aware that all ownership ends when they are carried to the crematorium or the graveyard.

ps. i still don't like your bathrooms! rabugento1.gif

It would be great if the term ownership could be changed to Stewardship, then the frame of mind and decision making  could be adjusted with that in mind.

I think such state of mind would have superior results for both the property , the person using it and the person who will inherit it.

PS: Well my bathroom don't like you either!!    I heard it talking the other day , and clearly heard it say

" we don't like this Nam guy" 

But I like you.  I told it that if it does not cut it out I will pee on it.rabugento1.gif

On 12/10/2017 at 3:59 PM, cheeryble said:

I'm going to be having a row of swing type clerestory windows high up on a 4m high sitting room wall, with big art underneath.

I will need to open them from standing height with a pole or cord.Any recommendations?

Not a recommendation but a question: Have you thought about screens in front of windows to keep out critters?

I have insect screens on all my (sliding) windows which means I can keep them open 24/7 without worrying about mosquitoes or lizards (the latter has a tendency to leave droppings all over the place).

Not a recommendation but a question: Have you thought about screens in front of windows to keep out critters?

I have insect screens on all my (sliding) windows which means I can keep them open 24/7 without worrying about mosquitoes or lizards (the latter has a tendency to leave droppings all over the place).

Thankyou Ikn
To be honest it never occurred to me screens wont work with regular high windows. So that’s another problem to go with how to open them. The screen problem could be solved using slatted windows, but they’re kind of ugly, nasty to clean, and again, how to wind the handle when the screen is on.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I really appreciate you posting you progres on your building as I shall start my construction soon as just waiting for completion of drawings and government permission.

This looks a really tidy construction.

A few observations.

Stairs:

I am really surprised that you do not have a column holding the midpoint of your staircase riser.

There must be a lot of steel in there.

What are the length of your steps and how high are the risers?

Inn Thailand everyone seems to do 20cm length and 20cm high.

I drew mine at 22cm long and 18cm high.

Electrics:

I believe from your plans that you are not having rooms downstairs and leaving the ceilings open (no false ceiling).

I shall have closed rooms downstairs but I am not going to have false ceilings so interested in your electrics.

They are very neat but it is a shame that when you had the concrete support beams concreted that you did not leave a gap/slot of say 20mm so that you could run your cables throughand not have to come under each support beam.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:28 PM, sirineou said:

Ok  Ok render (stucco) continues,

Looks like some major progress!

I was wondering did they put in some mesh where concrete pillars join masonry work? Or did they just render/plaster over it?

6 hours ago, Cashboy said:

I really appreciate you posting you progres on your building as I shall start my construction soon as just waiting for completion of drawings and government permission.

This looks a really tidy construction.

A few observations.

Stairs:

I am really surprised that you do not have a column holding the midpoint of your staircase riser.

There must be a lot of steel in there.

What are the length of your steps and how high are the risers?

Inn Thailand everyone seems to do 20cm length and 20cm high.

I drew mine at 22cm long and 18cm high.

Electrics:

I believe from your plans that you are not having rooms downstairs and leaving the ceilings open (no false ceiling).

I shall have closed rooms downstairs but I am not going to have false ceilings so interested in your electrics.

They are very neat but it is a shame that when you had the concrete support beams concreted that you did not leave a gap/slot of say 20mm so that you could run your cables throughand not have to come under each support beam.

Yes I am very impressed with my Builder  TC House Khon Kaen and the owner Dook, everything very professional, with no drama. Some small hick ups like there are with any building, nothing that could not be easily fixed,. Dook was replies to all of my messages immediately,   and fixes everything immediately.  I recommend him highly . My only concern is that he is becoming very popular and that he will stretch himself too thin. 

At this time we only have a bathroom downstairs, leaving the rest open, but I plan to build at least another room in the back when I retire at the end of next year, so with that in mind we are having a drop ceiling , that's why not concerned with some of the electrical being run under the columns. 

26755398_558118851203123_2090847315_n.jpg?oh=db0669465b1af30a93590234ee3958a9&oe=5A5B2089

As far as the stairs  are concerned , Nothing unusual They were engineered that way  ,  We do that in the construction industry in the west all the time . The engineer called for  .12 mm rebar but I changed all the steel to 16 mm ,   (a bit of an overkill I know) but it only changed the  cost of the steel by $400. A well worth it upgrade IMO.

The risers are .19 and the treds .25  with the sofit being .15

image.png.c07b9f27ebc24786c00f80a4d6e3785e.png

The reason for not support under the stairs is that the room between the bathroom and stairs will be a sit down area with an outdoor kitchen  

image.png.a896be54320ccc4438c7ec7885339d2d.png

and a Koi pond under the stairs.

The stairs themselves being the column supporting the landing , Image may contain: plant and outdooronly at an angle.

4 hours ago, Morakot said:

Looks like some major progress!

I was wondering did they put in some mesh where concrete pillars join masonry work? Or did they just render/plaster over it?

To be honest I don't know if they used mesh , Something I neglected to ask being very busy with logistics on new  high rise building we are planning to start in Manhattan NYC end of this month.

I will ask, but I am confident they did what was necessary.  Every time I ask the builder "Make sure to..." I always get the immediate reply with a picture which in effect says "one step ahead of you "

to the point where I am almost (I said almost LOL) afraid to ask as to not appear not to have confidence in them.

We all say that when you build in Thailand you need to be there, and I agree, but if one can not be there you could not ask for a better man than Dook. Having said this I hope I don't eat Crow when the build is completed LOL.

1 hour ago, Morakot said:

I'm sure the gentleman's house has a utility room... :smile:

There is no washer and dryer in the  Bathroom , there is a bathroom in the utility room.

This was always designed in the original plans to be a Utility room, but being a beer drinker and having a weak bladder I thought it prudent to say the least. to have a bathroom downstairs.

Thus the arrangement.

For Nam I have reserved a Tamarind tree I don't like  much . :tongue: 

Image result for tree with toilet paper

Next year , when I retire and have more time, I plan to build a big room behind the Bathroom that I will use as a workshop . When I do that I will build a washer and dryer closet there. 

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Be very, very careful installing the washer / dryer in your Man Cave. It may become a Woman Cave!

Good point but. There is no Man Cave, Sad to say it is all woman cave.:sad:

I am just happy if they let me use a small Grotto. The tree I assigned to Nam has ants. and they bite. 

16 minutes ago, sirineou said:

For the ants? or for Nam? LOL

Poor attempt at humor!

Personally I find it outrageous and disturbing that someone has hacked my account and is posting such crud under my name:tongue:

I like to take this opportunity to report my self.

Moving right along

They are doing the Soffits,  with perforated board to promote ventilation in the attic

26940854_560605484287793_1787436286_n.jpg?oh=55782c8570d25192c766fdbab9a809ee&oe=5A630FA0

Covering the drop ceilings with water resistant drywall (green color drywall is water resistant) 

26995033_560605614287780_936753814_n.jpg?oh=189fcff2923099d51761214f29b35737&oe=5A62F060

and tiling upstairs bathroom , there will be a partial wall with glass block separating the shower .

26940421_560611454287196_1871130871_n.jpg?oh=3362819101e473439cca527d8df67fcc&oe=5A61F1B9

and downstairs utility/bathroom 

27043453_560605697621105_141660727_n.jpg?oh=63a99779728da5ddda263627d85ed2f7&oe=5A62D4DA

in a concession to Nam I did not tile the ceiling or use the "hello kitty" tiles. Perhaps now he will use my bathroom and not pee on my trees LOL.

34 minutes ago, sirineou said:

in a concession to Nam I did not tile the ceiling or use the "hello kitty" tiles. Perhaps now he will use my bathroom and not pee on my trees LOL.

i don't pee in utility rooms. that's bad qismat karma! :sick:

57 minutes ago, Naam said:

Rdrokit is right, these little holes won't promote anything.

It certainly does not impede it.

though the individual holes might be smaller there a lot more of them  thus the volume of air entering the system is the same or more, Furthermore they are dispersed over a larger area allowing for a more uniform convection process.

PS: I have a similar system in both  my Florida and New York homes and I have no problem  in neither place. This type of arrangement is standard at most homes in the US. Though in the US they use mostly perforated vinyl soffit rather than the cement board used in Thailand.

Smaller slots spaced evenly every a few feet also make it easier to protect against criter infiltration IMO

image.png.3f62f87e499922bb64c4258b9eebc247.png

Archived