New Build in Khon Kaen

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

But u cant argue about someone their own taste.Naam just be glad that u don't have to live there? Fyi i think this is even nicer then your bathroom glasblocks because this also effective when its dark outside but the mirror needs of course a much bigger size.on the photo it wont show but these tiny light give a very warm effect to the bathroom spa.

IMG_2375.JPG

Not all of as are blessed with your's, and Nam's ragged good looks.  For some of as, the less light the better.

But what I lack in good looks I make up with some rad dancing moves!!  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Same product, different brand.

Don't think so.

The green bags are rock wool with a reflective film,.

The Homepro stuff is a thin layer of foam with film.

I agree with Naam about the 95% insulation.......no doubt in the small print is written "In a pig's ear"

I'd use the rock wool.

BTW how much per sqm for reflective rock wool rolls?

It's usually 4 inch thick in UK to keep the heat in ......think it's less here?

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

@rdrokid

this is what it says in Thai "Reduces solar radiation through the roof to over 90%"

Did they take out the wavelengths that get stopped by the roof tiles or do the test in the open sun.......or just read from Google?

ps: if i remember right flat white paint reflects about 80-85% (again the devil's in the detail).

I can supply for 50% off the price of the Homepro PE roll per sqm :)

46 minutes ago, Naam said:

@rdrokid

this is what it says in Thai "Reduces solar radiation through the roof to over 90%"

Say what you may. Looked at the R value and it is 20. Bottom line is it works for me.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, sirineou said:

It is funny but Thais might say that westerners are incapable of enjoying more than two colors. LOL

Point being that beauty is in the eye of the beholder . And that when it comes to culture there is no such thing as better or worst, but simply different. 

Years ago everyone had avocado green appliances, now,  no one would get caught dead with it. What has changed?  certainly not avocado green. People are funny, and not always ha, ha ha  funny. and no one is "funnier" than me.

Personally I like a litle color!     until I don't.

Can you expand on the "but" concerning the tapered columns? perhaps something I have not considered? I don't mind some constructive criticism.

The tapered  columns seem to work in this design, I have seen an other house of this design without them and IMO did not look as good. (Nam is going to love the color combination LOL)

Không tự động alt alt alt text available.

But perhaps for a street- front design the straight columns are better.

No , I do like the tapered columns and your pic demonstrates exactly why. 

They look sturdies , the tigh in the house to the earth... the hint at Lana.

I'd like any build I had to make reference to the locality ... hell , I'd love my build to have a full on Thai style roof !

But if we are looking at traditional Thai buildings , the owners  were once satiated with white walls , a terra cotta roof  and pavers , and natural wood trims.

But today , when it comes to tiles , they cant help themselves.

Im totally with Naam , isnt 5 different types and colours of tiles just TOO MUCH?

Any house Ive lived in here has committed this visual sin.

Its  widely accepted that ONE floor tile throughout makes the space a continuim , as well as the whole house  looking larger. But here there seems to be a rule that every bedroom doorway is an excuse to start with different tiles . And dont get me started on having the shower recess a lovely clashing , and different sized tile to the rest of the bathroom  ! Aaarghhh ..555

Anyway , Ive said my bit ...let me go and close the bathroom door so as I dont have to keep looking at the 2 different wall tiles with the mosaic joiner strip and , of course , the 'random' picture tiles ...lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Say what you may. Looked at the R value and it is 20. Bottom line is it works for me.

there's no material on this planet which achieves with 10mm thickness an RValue of 20. period!

that it works for you is a subjective comment which might cause misinformation for those who seek substantiated advice on insulating their homes.

the material is polyurethane foam. here some RValues for PU materials (thickness 25.4mm):

Polyurethane, open-cell  spray foam

R-3.6

Polyurethane, closed-cell spray foam

0.97-1.14

R-5.5 to R-6.5

Polyurethane rigid panel (Pentane expanded) initial

R-6.8

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Its  widely accepted that ONE floor tile throughout makes the space a continuim , as well as the whole house  looking larger. But here there seems to be a rule that every bedroom doorway is an excuse to start with different tiles .

i was going even further, in fact i went overboard and one cost conscious old friend was raving and ranting about the crime throwing money out of the window. the marble layers were instructed (and they liked it because they could demonstrate that they were professionals) to start at one end of the house and lay the 60x60cm tiles without any break of grout line throughout the whole house. summary: they were professionals and did an excellent job. 

1 hour ago, Naam said:

there's no material on this planet which achieves with 10mm thickness an RValue of 20. period!

that it works for you is a subjective comment which might cause misinformation for those who seek substantiated advice on insulating their homes.

the material is polyurethane foam. here some RValues for PU materials (thickness 25.4mm):

Polyurethane, open-cell  spray foam

R-3.6

Polyurethane, closed-cell spray foam

0.97-1.14

R-5.5 to R-6.5

Polyurethane rigid panel (Pentane expanded) initial

R-6.8

And for the know it all of Thai Visa it is not Polyurethane or Polystyrene it is Polyethylene and you can read the factory information below. Of course you wont believe it, probably call it bs but the rest of the TV readers might find it helpful.

5a706efc65679_page1001.thumb.jpg.8d95a64ef774ec9ea5b0f7db7693e0f8.jpg5a706f26d2519_page2001.thumb.jpg.3e8df7c2abee7b087a7dfb8090d30ffe.jpg5a706f4c07774_page3001.thumb.jpg.dbff6aaa5ee5573f6af97da4ac6616ab.jpg5a706f674f658_page4001.thumb.jpg.9240c499788fac1fd2682f29b1c4be96.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

And for the know it all of Thai Visa it is not Polyurethane or Polystyrene it is Polyethylene and you can read the factory information below. Of course you wont believe it, probably call it bs but the rest of the TV readers might find it helpful.

5a706efc65679_page1001.thumb.jpg.8d95a64ef774ec9ea5b0f7db7693e0f8.jpg5a706f26d2519_page2001.thumb.jpg.3e8df7c2abee7b087a7dfb8090d30ffe.jpg5a706f4c07774_page3001.thumb.jpg.dbff6aaa5ee5573f6af97da4ac6616ab.jpg5a706f674f658_page4001.thumb.jpg.9240c499788fac1fd2682f29b1c4be96.jpg

This is exactly the reason why I started this thread , Learn from each other, and have a litle fun doing it. 

When we start , or think about to start a project , there are things that we know, then there are things that we know we don't know and we will research, and then there are things that we don't know we dont know, and because of it, they will never be part of our decision metrix.

I never even knew of the existence of the product you suggested and as such  it was never an option. So if only for that part your suggestion is a positive contribution , i will certainly consider it for future projects. 

If I only had one wish in life it would be to have options:smile:

Whether it is better or worst or that the claims they make are correct or not , I don't know. 

I looked at the specifications you posted,and they seem impressive. but I did not see an R values,  perhaps I missed it (I don't read Thai).

In my uneducated on the subject opinion, R value is the bottom line, mediated  by cost, ease of use , durability, and availability.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sirineou said:

This is exactly the reason why I started this thread , Learn from each other, and have a litle fun doing it. 

When we start , or think about to start a project , there are things that we know, then there are things that we know we don't know and we will research, and then there are things that we don't know we dont know, and because of it, they will never be part of our decision metrix.

I never even knew of the existence of the product you suggested and as such  it was never an option. So if only for that part your suggestion is a positive contribution , i will certainly consider it for future projects. 

If I only had one wish in life it would be to have options:smile:

Whether it is better or worst or that the claims they make are correct or not , I don't know. 

I looked at the specifications you posted,and they seem impressive. but I did not see an R values,  perhaps I missed it (I don't read Thai).

In my uneducated on the subject opinion, R value is the bottom line, mediated  by cost, ease of use , durability, and availability.

The R value is on the 2nd page, right side.

44 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

The R value is on the 2nd page, right side.

image.png.f99f0d90936ca6bda904533d929a18e7.png

My understanding or are Value is as a benchmark with 1 inch of wood having  a value of R1 and  1 inch of fiberglass R3 In the above table it is expressed in  f/btu  , a litle confusing to me. 

Am I to assume then that the 5MM is R19? and the 10MM is R 20? 

it would not make sense ,one would assume that double the thickness increase ,even though not directly proportional, would be significantly more than one inch of wood.

Simpy put I don't understand the above table.

Edited by sirineou

3 hours ago, Naam said:

i was going even further, in fact i went overboard and one cost conscious old friend was raving and ranting about the crime throwing money out of the window. the marble layers were instructed (and they liked it because they could demonstrate that they were professionals) to start at one end of the house and lay the 60x60cm tiles without any break of grout line throughout the whole house. summary: they were professionals and did an excellent job. 

I just had a wander about my small , but really well built 8 year old house on stilts that I love to live in  ( mainly because I love living under it all ! )  and there are , and this is only inside , 9  different tiles used.

And I guess to a Westerner it pangs of 'end lots'.

You know , "70 Tiles for a thousand baht SALE" sort of thing.

Now I know the house is really well built ... and the floor is ONE tile and grout line  throughout .. ( not the bathroom , ohh the bathroom ... ).

But the fact is that you can change the wall colours any time , and within a couple of days  , but taking out well laid tiles because they so readily 'date' a house is a much bigger job...

24 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I just had a wander about my small , but really well built 8 year old house on stilts that I love to live in  ( mainly because I love living under it all ! )  and there are , and this is only inside , 9  different tiles used.

And I guess to a Westerner it pangs of 'end lots'.

You know , "70 Tiles for a thousand baht SALE" sort of thing.

Now I know the house is really well built ... and the floor is ONE tile and grout line  throughout .. ( not the bathroom , ohh the bathroom ... ).

But the fact is that you can change the wall colours any time , and within a couple of days  , but taking out well laid tiles because they so readily 'date' a house is a much bigger job...

Same here

I am an outside cat, put  a plate of milk (beer) by the window and let me wonder outside, Stilt house cause I like doing it in the shade.

Same attitude with tiles. I would have being happy with one tile trough the house, She picked  a nice big ,  beige tile in the living room ( will post pic when I have, seen them on facetime) and I would be happy with them all through the house But....

I have build 5 houses in my lifetime , I had my fun, For the wife it is the first she builds where she is the one choosing.  Let her have her fun!

When I ask why different tiles in every room, she said " With one tile, when I open the door and show them it is finished"  LOL.  For her different tiles in every room and a long tour of the house withher friends. For me, at least when I had a few drinks I will instantly know what room I fell on the floor in.:biggrin: .

image.png.62d0a6ec2765b52340d78f19914aed6e.png

started the tiles downstairs, will post tiles upstairs as soon as I have pictures. This is my domain, ,the only choice I insisted on. and take full responsibility., Tile are to mimic wood plank, and looks more red in the picture than they are. (I think)

Edited by sirineou

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

i relied on my Thai assistant for translation and apologise for "urinating". but...

here's the RValue of one inch (25.4mm) thick Polyethylene

i'm sure interested readers will make the right decision weighing the information of marketing people vs. facts.

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

i relied on my Thai assistant for translation and apologise for "urinating". but...

here's the RValue of one inch (25.4mm) thick Polyethylene

i'm sure interested readers will make the right decision weighing the information of marketing people vs. facts.

What are you doing up at this time ? You party animal :smile:

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

When I ask why different tiles in every room, she said " With one tile, when I open the door and show them it is finished"  LOL.  For her different tiles in every room and a long tour of the house withher friends. For me, at least when I had a few drinks I will instantly know what room I fell on the floor in.:biggrin:

Your Honour,

i rest my case as the accused parties submitted credible evidence that they have the right to use tiles as they please.

:jap:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

Your Honour,

i rest my case as the accused parties submitted credible evidence that they have the right to use tiles as they please.

:jap:

I plead guilty but site mitigating circumstances and throw myself at the mercy of the court. :tongue:

I hope it is warm where you are.

Edited by sirineou

Same here

I am an outside cat, put  a plate of milk (beer) by the window and let me wonder outside, Stilt house cause I like doing it in the shade.

Same attitude with tiles. I would have being happy with one tile trough the house, She picked  a nice big ,  beige tile in the living room ( will post pic when I have, seen them on facetime) and I would be happy with them all through the house But....

I have build 5 houses in my lifetime , I had my fun, For the wife it is the first she builds where she is the one choosing.  Let her have her fun!

When I ask why different tiles in every room, she said " With one tile, when I open the door and show them it is finished"  LOL.  For her different tiles in every room and a long tour of the house withher friends. For me, at least when I had a few drinks I will instantly know what room I fell on the floor in.:biggrin: .

image.png.62d0a6ec2765b52340d78f19914aed6e.png&key=87798706fff44152128bd66aba43436d598d300c0de0cefc043fc41394546bb0

started the tiles downstairs, will post tiles upstairs as soon as I have pictures. This is my domain, ,the only choice I insisted on. and take full responsibility., Tile are to mimic wood plank, and looks more red in the picture than they are. (I think)

As they’re already up and were chosen under female dictat I won’t mention bathroom tiles

I will say that while I invariably agree with Naam it’s gonna be pistols at dawn over the fluted columns. To my mind long straight columns are aesthetically unsound (though will look much better with a base of say small bricks coming up a way).and yr flutes are the way to go

So Sirineou you’re nearly off the hook and get bonus points for industry and some good pre-planning and communication with builder.

Just one thing.....in the photo above are fluted columns all around.....but what’s with the one straight one which now stands out incongruously?

All things considered respect on a well done remote build

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I will say that while I invariably agree with Naam it’s gonna be pistols at dawn over the fluted columns.

flutes are beautiul! it's the tapering that calls for heavy sabres. not necessarily at dawn but after sundown with a few sundowners "downed" which causes a more relaxed atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sirineou said:

downstairs Utility/bathroom (utilibath LOL) door .

a bathroom door opening to the outside. and i thought we have the only house in Thailand where bathroom doors are installed like this. but that fact hardly mitigates the crime comitted. you know what i'm talking about.

by the way, i counted 37 different tiles/colours. is that correct? or are some room pictures missing?

14 minutes ago, Naam said:

a bathroom door opening to the outside. and i thought we have the only house in Thailand where bathroom doors are installed like this. but that fact hardly mitigates the crime comitted. you know what i'm talking about.

by the way, i counted 37 different tiles/colours. is that correct? or are some room pictures missing?

That's one advantage of the Klingon physique  and  all those extra appendices.  I stopped counting after I run out of fingers to count on. LOL

When I made the plans for the downstairs utilipath , I designed it with the door opening to the iside.

image.png.9e8cdec30e49ba328ce3e53a688be9ce.png

That's why all the colulations and dimensions so that the door would not hit the dryer when it opened,   I also showed where the light switch should go so that it would not be behind the door.

We stayed at a hotel, where when I went in the bathroom I could not find the light switch.

Who goes in the bathroom closes the door and in the dark looks for the switch???

When I called the front desk, they send someone up and he said it was behind the door TIT

Anyway they took it upon themselves to have the door open out, not a biggie, actually works better for me because it frees the space behind the door for a linen closet. 

The only thing is that I noticed they had not stained the door. When I pointed this out to the painter he said they were going to stain it later! I asked how they were going to do that with out getting it all over the hardware, and they agreed to take it out and stain it. Same thing with the lights on the columns. They put the lights on before painting, now they have to pull them off to paint and after the paint is dry put them on again. TIT

I guess the good thing is it keeps people employed. LOL

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

When I made the plans for the downstairs utilipath , I designed it with the door opening to the inside.

why would anybody with an IQ above 82.5 and zero alcohol in his/her bloodstream design a door which opens to the inside of (usually) the smallest rooms in a home and reduce the usability even more?