New Build in Khon Kaen

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Yes but it's a largish room......7m x 5.5m......and between 3.25m and 4m high.....and as these windows are quite close under the roof overhang, even on the south side I'm a bit concerned to be sure of enough light. There will be wide glass doornjms on the opposite side but I've arranged the roof there to overhang by at least 2 to 3m, as it will be a nice verandah seating area...and that sides north facing....so I fear for lack of light.

although facing north and shaded by the roof overhang i bet that you have more than enough light entering from this side plus the light from the high up windows.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Naam said:

although facing north and shaded by the roof overhang i bet that you have more than enough light entering from this side plus the light from the high up windows.

I trust you are right as usual Herr Naam

I looked at a lot of google images and whilst the light is enough it's kind of muted. I do like a bit of direct morning light in a room.

One thing will be to put plenty of high window.

Another might be to reduce the overhang of the roof.

I'd hate to cut the three large clumps of 20 metre bamboo on that south side which shade the house area with just a mottled light, they'll be cooling the house, but they could come down.

Perhaps i could go halfway and thin them out.

A last reserve would be the reflective panel idea.

We will overcome!

Time for an update:

They have finished the walls , and are now working at running the electric lines

image.png.3d727868bc25a4b768725d0910f25b24.png

we are looking at hallway separating Master bedroom , guest bedroom and bathroom in the middle ( bathroom has entrance from Master bedroom, and from hallway)

image.png.e317a77f3fd41b51e5c8dfa622e8d809.png

another angle, looking from the kitchen. i try to have outlets every couple of meters to eliminate long electric cords,and I had a 3d model of the house to scale that i placed virtual furniture in to determine locations 

image.png.dacfb7b3763652753759fdadede2ae23.png

They are also dressing up the collumns

image.png.fd4a680e35201fadbbd57e405db27da8.png

image.thumb.png.27311d4abbd48e0ebbf6eb82642cbe14.pngalso started rendering the walls yesterday but I don't have pictures yet.

We are exploring our front door options, Initially me. wife and builder had agreed on aluminum with a wood look finish. But so far I have not seen anything I like. Everything presented to me had too much glass and I don't like the security aspect of it. So we are back at the wood door option (that I like but don't want to maintain) .

image.png.f11382a6b74e7812d3e70af4b8f02a5e.png

This one that both wife and I like, (I Know , a lot of glass also), I like the curved wood doors but wife does not , and I like a happy wife more than I like a good door.

I am open to suggestions !!!  

By the way, those doors are made to order, so you can tweek the sizes and design if you wish. Ours are solid teak but I think he will do other woods if you wish.

Sadly I don't have costs, they were included in our fixed-price build contract.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our door chap has a comprehensive catalog, I expect he has a mate in your area. As you will see from my annotations, we have gone for simple solid doors.

Doors-1.jpgDoors-2.jpg

Doors-3.jpgDoors-4.jpg

Doors-5.jpgDoors-6.jpg

Doors-7.jpgDoors-8.jpg

You are a lifesaver,thank you

Wife will be waking up soon, I will forward this to her, I am sure she will find something in there that she likes

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Wife will be waking up soon, I will forward this to her, I am sure she will find something in there that she likes

You reckon? She's a woman!

Additional aside, we visited the factory (something I like to do), half a dozen craftsmen taking a pride in their work. I think there are factory photos in my Housebuilding thread.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You reckon? She's a woman!

Additional aside, we visited the factory (something I like to do), half a dozen craftsmen taking a pride in their work. I think there are factory photos in my Housebuilding thread.

Already send to her 

You know what I am doing right now,. Looking at doors

They have some nice things, I already found a few I like,

Thank you again:smile: 

wife found a door she likes

25396256_157934234969737_2072257535957736626_n.jpg?oh=e4a2e95d00d3a793a10fbf65f0e8463e&oe=5A3A3FEF

Of course we will have to lower the door handles, too high for me! LOL

My inquiry of the wood used was met with this

25395721_157932454969915_5048063374281395264_n.jpg?oh=e176203ba8d7ac0ec822495f7c6a4481&oe=5A3A4E97 

which I posted on DYI subforum and was informed that the name of the wood is not Campus (reason I was unsuccessful in my google search)  but Kampas.  a further google search revealed that it is an inexpensive wood .I asked and is waiting for an answer , if they make it in other wood and what are my options.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

You want a wood that termites will not eat. Here's your choices.

Pressure Treated

Pressure treated wood is embedded with preservatives that are forced into the wood pores during the manufacturing process. This makes the timber resistant to rot and fungi and creates a termite-resistant chemical barrier. Slowing the natural decay process in this way results in stronger, longer-lasting wood that is valuable for building homes, sheds, and decks. In fact, many locations within the U.S. have requirements for using pressure treated wood in places where the wood contacts or is otherwise close to the soil.

Naturally Resistant

Heartwood is the non-living, central wood of trees. This wood is darker, denser, and less permeable than the surrounding timber. Therefore, it is naturally less attractive to termites. To deter the pests, homeowners can obtain heartwood-grade lumber for construction projects. Termites also tend to avoid specific species of trees such as redwoods, yellow cedar, Laotian teak, and cypress. However, these types of wood are not as long-lasting as treated lumber.

Composite Materials

Specially designed to deter termites and increase the usable lifetime, some man made composite lumber products are made with materials that the pests can’t digest, such as plastic. Other composite products are made with a combination of plastics and wood fibers. Since composites don’t tend to warp like natural timber, composite wood is also a more durable building product choice.

On December 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM, sirineou said:

wife found a door she likes

25396256_157934234969737_2072257535957736626_n.jpg?oh=e4a2e95d00d3a793a10fbf65f0e8463e&oe=5A3A3FEF

Of course we will have to lower the door handles, too high for me! LOL

My inquiry of the wood used was met with this

25395721_157932454969915_5048063374281395264_n.jpg?oh=e176203ba8d7ac0ec822495f7c6a4481&oe=5A3A4E97 

which I posted on DYI subforum and was informed that the name of the wood is not Campus (reason I was unsuccessful in my google search)  but Kampas.  a further google search revealed that it is an inexpensive wood .I asked and is waiting for an answer , if they make it in other wood and what are my options.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Sorry missed your update photos .....looking good.

Particularly like the fluted columns......whose idea was that and was builder OK with it?

AS for the doors it depends if the house will be be left empty.

I'm a big believer in PIR detectors........very cheap and which normally turn on a lamp but easy to put a sound alarm of some sort into the circuit which will make most burglars crap their pants and not come back.......I could maybe source you a sound alarm a hidden away little  electronics store here in CM for u (Dogs in the garden can be a problem setting them off but are also a deterrent).

I think both you choices of doors are very elegant.

If light would help in the hallway use the first......you also get to see some garden and who the caller is. If someone's going to break in the door will be deadlocked and they'd need to knock out multiple planes to climb in......which they can knock out  normal window anyway.

If light inside already. maybe use the second......which I'd note is a good looking door and whatever the wood is it justifies 6 hinges for each door so one guesses must be pretty heavy.

I'd go for the first with a couple of PIRs somewhere for a few bucks each which will give the house more comprehensive protection.

BTW termites are highly unlikely to eat at a door unless it's left unused a long time.......what's more possible is an attack at the bottom of the frame........which you could soak 6 inches in insecticide before lacquering/staining. They usually enter through the end grain so this would work.

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Sorry missed your update photos .....looking good.

Particularly like the fluted columns......whose idea was that and was builder OK with it?

AS for the doors it depends if the house will be be left empty.

I'm a big believer in PIR detectors........very cheap and which normally turn on a lamp but easy to put a sound alarm of some sort into the circuit which will make most burglars crap their pants and not come back.......I could maybe source you a sound alarm a hidden away little  electronics store here in CM for u (Dogs in the garden can be a problem setting them off but are also a deterrent).

I think both you choices of doors are very elegant.

If light would help in the hallway use the first......you also get to see some garden and who the caller is. If someone's going to break in the door will be deadlocked and they'd need to knock out multiple planes to climb in......which they can knock out  normal window anyway.

If light inside already. maybe use the second......which I'd note is a good looking door and whatever the wood is it justifies 6 hinges for each door so one guesses must be pretty heavy.

I'd go for the first with a couple of PIRs somewhere for a few bucks each which will give the house more comprehensive protection.

BTW termites are highly unlikely to eat at a door unless it's left unused a long time.......what's more possible is an attack at the bottom of the frame........which you could soak 6 inches in insecticide before lacquering/staining. They usually enter through the end grain so this would work.

The house and the location of the door is on the second floor elevated by about 3M from the ground, and the ground slab has being fitted with a termite control injection system , see black pipes on ground beams below.

image.png.aa7ed633ffd9d0cbe7dbc76e190db511.png

So I don't think termites will be much of a problem , but even if they are  It might give me an excuse to try a different door after I am tired of this one LOL.

Wife likes and will feel safer with the solid door , and I like my wife, but more important I will like my wife to like me LOL. and personally I would not care less for the kind of door. It is nice to play around with different designs but we are guys , truth be told , most of as would be happy with anything.

as far as light is concerned , do you see the  small class panels on the side of the door? They will be made bigger to fit the openings shown below and I am considering making and installing some sort of tastefully done   security grill . I am open to suggestions.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, sirineou said:

Time for an update:

They have finished the walls , and are now working at running the electric lines

image.png.3d727868bc25a4b768725d0910f25b24.png

we are looking at hallway separating Master bedroom , guest bedroom and bathroom in the middle ( bathroom has entrance from Master bedroom, and from hallway)

image.png.e317a77f3fd41b51e5c8dfa622e8d809.png

another angle, looking from the kitchen. i try to have outlets every couple of meters to eliminate long electric cords,and I had a 3d model of the house to scale that i placed virtual furniture in to determine locations 

image.png.dacfb7b3763652753759fdadede2ae23.png

They are also dressing up the collumns

image.png.fd4a680e35201fadbbd57e405db27da8.png

image.thumb.png.27311d4abbd48e0ebbf6eb82642cbe14.pngalso started rendering the walls yesterday but I don't have pictures yet.

We are exploring our front door options, Initially me. wife and builder had agreed on aluminum with a wood look finish. But so far I have not seen anything I like. Everything presented to me had too much glass and I don't like the security aspect of it. So we are back at the wood door option (that I like but don't want to maintain) .

image.png.f11382a6b74e7812d3e70af4b8f02a5e.png

This one that both wife and I like, (I Know , a lot of glass also), I like the curved wood doors but wife does not , and I like a happy wife more than I like a good door.

I am open to suggestions !!!  

Hey Siri--Check this door from Europvc. The pic doesn't do it justice but they will send you a better one, PVC Golden Oak. They can divide it any way you want and also do horizontal dividers.

french door combi golden.jpg

3 hours ago, claynlr said:

Hey Siri--Check this door from Europvc. The pic doesn't do it justice but they will send you a better one, PVC Golden Oak. They can divide it any way you want and also do horizontal dividers.

french door combi golden.jpg

Thank you for that suggestion

, It looks great! Unfortunately we have already ordered the wood door. I will keep this info if we ever decide to replace the wood door or other applications.

Nothing much excited happening with the build, 

They have finished rendering the walls inside 

image.png.c2651a1d8997468c6d542e648add4a9b.png

and the wife is busy shopping for bath , kitchen and floor tiles

image.png.b3d16e98fd3ce782d53b57ca36895808.png

This is the design I send her. The space for the stove-oven combo is not to scale as I don't know the dimensions of what they sell in Thailand and told them to make adjustments.

Home Pro, and other Home renovation stores will do a design for you FREE, in the hope that you buy there.

image.thumb.png.99e715ea2f6a6006765c1cfc6c825101.png I told her to buy Granite countertop, she does not want to spend the money, I dont care LOL. (more leo beer  for me)

image.thumb.png.4a42be312b6657988496c31eaf77fa58.pngimage.thumb.png.8564919e4030f8122e191de1aa8c4687.png

Upstairs bathroom 

I don't like the vanity sink, This is where I assert my manhood!!!  and told her to look for other options.  ( ASSERT, assert , not insert you perverts!!)

You give them a sink they'll  take a mile.

image.thumb.png.b469959ffa0917cedaeddb4dd257407c.pngimage.thumb.png.24ea51e00d6d38996e434931fdad04a4.png

Downstairs bathroom

Personally a tree is good for most of my business.

Can you spot the fault with this design??? NO NO its not the missing tree , I meant outside, inside I use the toilet , (I am not an animal) though some might disagree.  

Who ever spots the fault first will receive a well deserved "Like" ( enough collected "Likes" can be redeemed at the TVF store for a commemorative dish-set displaying the picture of this years poster of the year , otherwise known as the TVF diet (one look at that mug and you lose your appetite ) LOL  

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

Sirineou,

what i saw until recently i liked very much. but your bathroom designs are horribly disappointing.

:sorry:

You said

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You might have to join me by the tree

and I replied,

Then I went view "new content" to see what was new in TVF and right above  my reply there was an other thread being replied to, with the title being " German arrested for damaging tree in Krabi "  LOL

You are not in Krabi by any chance?

PS: I am in sunny Florida for the month . I went to the Inlet Harbor Marina  at Ponce inlet  last week  and while going there I thought of you  ( didn't do wonders for my appetite also LOL) . Unfortunately it was closed for repairs , I guess do to damage it sustained  from the last hurricane.We ended up going to the Crab shack on international speedway. 

Happy Holidays !! 

I like the bathrooms.

But unless there are two bathrooms , I dont like the toilets in the same room.

Just personal taste...

Im not one to ponce around a bathroom with flattering lighting and plunge spas and all the rest ... I want a shower , brush my teeth and be gone in 10 minutes. Maybe you are the same.

I dunno.

Maybe a potential buyer - if there is any in any given baan - wants more.

I did mention the work of cleaning greening  grout here as the tiles get smaller. More grout in the decorative vertical stripes each side of the toilet .. Im also less positive about tiles that look vertical ... but up to you ( or 'her') 555

15 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Im not one to ponce around a bathroom with flattering lighting and plunge spas and all the rest ... I want a shower , brush my teeth and be gone in 10 minutes. Maybe you are the same.

it does not matter what you, Sirineou or i want. it's usually the Chairlady and Chief Executive Officer who tells us husbands what she wants. besides... what is missing in the OP's bathroom is storage and more natural lighting. the sorry looking window above eye level will not give the light for a lady to apply make-up and what other secret things they do without us caveman knowing.

-the stand for the washbasin is a huge waste and should be replaced by a cupboard on which the basin rests and that Thai disease of hotwater heater in the shower should move into that cupboard.

-the window should be discarded and replaced with several rows of glass blocks and a built in exhaust fan (700 Baht) which takes care of the odour in a minute or two even after a huge dump. the OP is a Floridian. i never heard of a Florida home without proper forced bathroom ventilation by an exhaust fan.

16 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I'll add a shave to the list and still manage 10 minutes :tongue:

I do like warm water for my shave, so the multi-point heater in the cupboard under the sink (where spare bog roll and the like lives) runs the hot tap as well as the shower.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

it does not matter what you, Sirineou or i want. it's usually the Chairlady and Chief Executive Officer who tells us husbands what she wants. besides... what is missing in the OP's bathroom is storage and more natural lighting. the sorry looking window above eye level will not give the light for a lady to apply make-up and what other secret things they do without us caveman knowing.

-the stand for the washbasin is a huge waste and should be replaced by a cupboard on which the basin rests and that Thai disease of hotwater heater in the shower should move into that cupboard.

-the window should be discarded and replaced with several rows of glass blocks and a built in exhaust fan (700 Baht) which takes care of the odour in a minute or two even after a huge dump. the OP is a Floridian. i never heard of a Florida home without proper forced bathroom ventilation by an exhaust fan.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'll add a shave to the list and still manage 10 minutes :tongue:

I do like warm water for my shave, so the multi-point heater in the cupboard under the sink (where spare bog roll and the like lives) runs the hot tap as well as the shower.

All good points

. Indeed  The CCEO has the final say, all I can do is make recommendations and hope for the best.  Given the design of the house the light is what the light is. In Florida we have a light tunnel in one of our Bathrooms that does not have a window and it works great, I mentioned that option to the wife when we were doing the roof and she rejected it  .

I don't see how replacing the window  with glass block will improve the light situation and it will certainly reduce ventilation. but I  included glass block in the shower to transfer some of the window light in to the room.

Personally I don't need much light to do my makeup, I am a natural beauty. 

I have electric fan vents at all of my bathrooms in the US but I rarely use them, As you all have probably guessed from my posts and replies in this forum

my  shit dont smell :tongue:

Excellent point  concerning storage, I did request a better and bigger  vanity at the upstairs bathroom with the storage concern in mind, at the downstair bathroom the plan is , to at a later point construct a towel closet behind the door next to the washer and dryer, and wall cabinets over the washer and dryer.

image.png.4a5a98322663c203864c0231b8f33e53.png

Thus why the pedestal sink , IMO  a cupboard vanity sink combo would have being storage overkill and would be to tight to move.  ( there is madness to my method LOL)

Excellent  point point concerning the multi point hot water heater in the upstairs bathroom. I have not consider the hot water for save issue. The electric and  plumbing is mostly done,  I will ask the Builder if there is still time to change the hot water heater to a multipoint. 

PS: all the designs are preliminary, we are still in the process of tweaking them. and I appreciate all input, 

GOODNESS GRACIOUS! :shock1:  i was wondering what that half-height cupboard opposite the toilet is. when i realised it's washer and dryer i nearly had my fourth heart attack but the pacemaker did a good job and limited my pump to a 120/minute but could not prevent that i shouted utmost obscene words which scared my dogs and demanded a refill of Port. the jury is still out whether i can sleep tonight, perhaps i need some tranquilisers.

8 hours ago, Naam said:

GOODNESS GRACIOUS! :shock1:  i was wondering what that half-height cupboard opposite the toilet is. when i realised it's washer and dryer i nearly had my fourth heart attack but the pacemaker did a good job and limited my pump to a 120/minute but could not prevent that i shouted utmost obscene words which scared my dogs and demanded a refill of Port. the jury is still out whether i can sleep tonight, perhaps i need some tranquilisers.

Well don't go in to the light yet 

wait until you see my floor tiles . if that don't do it nothing will!

I hope you made it through the night @Naam

Meanwhile, this is our downstairs loo, 1.6m x 3m (I was never one for palatial facilities). Home to the washer and dryer, sink is an on-the-wall type. Cabinets are actually kitchen units from HomePro which madam demanded due to there being nowhere for washing powder etc. even then the spare bog roll lives on top. The urinal is a good idea if you have parties.

20171231_062354.jpg

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

I hope you made it through the night @Naam

another three sleepless night with two glasses of Port (each). what crime did i commit that i am punished like that? :crying:

urinal good idea for parties

who or what is a party that requires a urinal? no politicians or politics in my home!

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Well don't go in to the light yet 

wait until you see my floor tiles . if that don't do it nothing will!

no surprise! i talked to Mrs Sirineou who told me "pink and blue laid in a random pattern with a border of decorative tiles showing flowers". it took three puffs of "Nitromint" to keep me conscious. nitromint.jpg

oh well... :coffee1:

Archived