Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Inflammatory off topic posts and replies are being removed. No further notice will be given when they are removed. If you have don't have anything helpful to contribute please do not bother posting.

And for the 3rd time after doing another cleanup.

A comment on moderation has been removed.

A reminder of what the Forum Rules state.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Girl said:

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who contributed their time and knowledge.

So, I am living with my bestfriend who takes care of my stay here in Thailand (She was in the process of convincing me to use my degree to teach here). The subject matter was how can I leave Thailand: 20k (airport immigration) vs 10k (IDC)? My passport issue is a result of miscommunication from the embassy! SouthAfrican passport takes 6 months, not 2 months. I decided to stay when they initially said 2 months (and I still had plenty of money). But later said because it's "lost" it'll take to 4-6 months. With less money (and the hope it'll arrive  in 2 months), I decided to wait so I can pay less fine and go to Laos and come back. I would have been on less than 30 days overstay at that time. The issue spiraled out of control and before I knew it's 7 months. The calender is an enemy of an overstayer. My fault for treating it with no sense of urgency. My fault. Period. 

I honestly wanted to know whether the IDC was an option for fine reduction. As per the responses, NO IT'S NOT! This is very clear. I will not take any risks served by deportations. I realised I could be attracting a nightmare. 

I am very lucky that I have a degree and found a language center in Lat Prao which pays 250ph. I will work as many hours a day as it takes to raise 10k in 2 weeks. Lesson learnt: Never travel (even to the chapest countries) without a return ticket, choose against deportation, don't shy away from speaking to immigration asap and take a joke.

Also, I need to change my country, any suggestions?  

christ, do not get caught working without a permit and definatelty not whilst on overstay! you be in a whole world of crap then

12 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

so now it is overstay, immigration law (incorrect visa/no visa) and labour law, (no work permit).

Nothing like compounding the issue.

One might ask why you did not try to find gainful employment before now?

For your information: I had a non B imm. visa prior to my passport getting lost. Secondly, I took the advice of some members who said I should contact Language centers. Thirdly, I was disgusted by the low pay and self-costing visa runs. If it is such a problem, please tell why are these centers hiring? Lastly, who can possibly apply for a work permit for 2 weeks of work?

Edited by The Girl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

christ, do not get caught working without a permit and definatelty not whilst on overstay! you be in a whole world of crap then

Yeah, my boss said she needs me for 2 weeks until she finds a replacement. I am being as careful as I can. Can you please tell me why are Thai agents and Thai managers give little care about the legality and formalities of hiring someone like me? I asked for a job and explained my situation - she literally asked when can I start? I will let you know if I make it out of Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Girl said:

Yeah, my boss said she needs me for 2 weeks until she finds a replacement. I am being as careful as I can. Can you please tell me why are Thai agents and Thai managers give little care about the legality and formalities of hiring someone like me? I asked for a job and explained my situation - she literally asked when can I start? I will let you know if I make it out of Thailand.

i'm not sure how those language schools work. perhaps they pay someone money for the authorities to turn a blind eye as they need teachers. perhaps if caught they will put it all on you. either way i'd say you're playing a highly risky game right now

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i'm not sure how those language schools work. perhaps they pay someone money for the authorities to turn a blind eye as they need teachers. perhaps if caught they will put it all on you. either way i'd say you're playing a highly risky game right now

I have not started. Would you recommend I don't start at all and pawn my stuff, rather? I desperately need 10k in any way possible. It is very easy to overlook getting caught when you just want to make it out of Thailand in one piece. I was wrong I know, but I am trying not to fuel the fire. 

35 minutes ago, The Girl said:

So, I am living with my bestfriend who takes care of my stay here in Thailand (She was in the process of convincing me to use my degree to teach here).

16 minutes ago, The Girl said:

For your information: I had a non B imm. visa prior to my passport getting lost.

So you were here in Thailand living with your best friend that was trying to convince you to teach, but you had a non B before you lost your passport.

On what basis did you get that non B and from where?

33 minutes ago, The Girl said:

Also, I need to change my country, any suggestions?  

You could follow the example of the actor Colin Firth, a luvvie so stricken by grief over Brexit that he married an Italian. Citizenship follows relatively quickly, 2 years if you're living in Italy, or 3 abroad. But you'll have to look after him as Momma did.

8 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I suppose because they know you're desperate.  Happy enough is quite correct:  get caught working without a permit AND while on overstay and you'll have fallen out of the frying pan and into the fire.  I wish someone could offer you some straightforward and foolproof solution to your predicament, but leaving the country ASAP using your ETD and money given you, without digging any MORE holes, is I think the best anyone here can advise. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, lkv said:

So you were here in Thailand living with your best friend that was trying to convince you to teach, but you had a non B before you lost your passport.

On what basis did you get that non B and from where?

I was teaching in Sisaket as a substitute teacher. The school organised a non B imm. I had the worst experience and decided against teaching in Thailand . Then I lost my passport shortly after. I feel like I am in Court. Any more question honourables?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I have not started. Would you recommend I don't start at all and pawn my stuff, rather? I desperately need 10k in any way possible. It is very easy to overlook getting caught when you just want to make it out of Thailand in one piece. I was wrong I know, but I am trying not to fuel the fire. 

i wouldn;t suggest risking it and then you end up in deep s***. if i were you i would pawn my stuff and get on the plane

8 minutes ago, The Girl said:

If you can raise enough money by pawning things + whatever else friends or relatives are contributing, that would be preferable to the risk of trying to work illegally while on overstay, yes.  IMO anyway.   I'm not sure anyone here can advise you authoritatively on the odds, but I think it's fairly safe to say the stakes would be fairly high...

Edited by hawker9000
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Girl said:

I was teaching in Sisaket as a substitute teacher. The school organised a non B imm. I had the worst experience and decided against teaching in Thailand . Then I lost my passport shortly after. I feel like I am in Court. Any more question honourables?

How do you mean you had the worst experience? And dont you think you took a hasty decision of not teaching in Thailand? Teaching is the toughest profession after several others including policing and journalism. It is not your fault you lost your passport. 

9 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I would say go for the work in your situation. Just be carefull. 

Save pawing your stuff as a last resort if you come up short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I would say go for the work in your situation. Just be carefull. 

Save pawing your stuff as a last resort if you come up short.

You're advising her to knowingly violate the law?!  'Knowing what could happen if there's some random check and she gets caught??  I have to say, that surprises me, UJ.

2 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How do you mean you had the worst experience? And dont you think you took a hasty decision of not teaching in Thailand? Teaching is the toughest profession after several others including policing and journalism. It is not your fault you lost your passport. 

I was offered 40k for 2 months and told I will received 80 at the end of the contract (as a substitute teacher). After 2 months, I only received 50k. You are right, teaching is a tough profession. But have you ever asked yourself why this is so? Teacher's are not treated fairly in the provinces of Thailand, in the big cities maybe yes! It was not a hasty decision - I decided against promoting modern day slavery. I am not entitled but I helped the school a lot, I taught every grade for 50k in 2 months? Was the schools doing justified in doing this because I am a substitute Teacher? Or, was I justified for my resignation? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

You're advising her to knowingly violate the law?!  'Knowing what could happen if there's some random check and she gets caught??  I have to say, that surprises me, UJ.

She's up shit's creek anyway, I guess he's just suggesting a way out of it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Hawker, I understand that you are concerned. May you please be practical. How would you propose I leave the country, knowing my situation, I have an ETD and 10k? I have to leave in 2 weeks. I am not shying away from my wrongful doing, well non-doing in the case.

6 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I was offered 40k for 2 months and told I will received 80 at the end of the contract (as a substitute teacher). After 2 months, I only received 50k. You are right, teaching is a tough profession. But have you ever asked yourself why this is so? Teacher's are not treated fairly in the provinces of Thailand, in the big cities maybe yes! It was not a hasty decision - I decided against promoting modern day slavery. I am not entitled but I helped the school a lot, I taught every grade for 50k in 2 months? Was the schools doing justified in doing this because I am a substitute Teacher? Or, was I justified for my resignation? 

I dont think it is appropriate to equate teaching with modern day slavery. You have earned good karma by teaching and it will remain with you forever. Maybe the school had good reasons to pay you less and werent articulate enough to explain it. But I think you should have persevered. If it is possible for you to go back to teaching please do.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction

Just now, The Girl said:

Hawker, I understand that you are concerned. May you please be practical. How would you propose I leave the country, knowing my situation, I have an ETD and 10k? I have to leave in 2 weeks. I am not shying away from my wrongful doing, well non-doing in the case.

Oh don't get me wrong.  It's totally up to you which course of action to take.  If you think it "impractical" to pawn your stuff in order to get out legally, that's entirely your decision.  For me, "practical" would be getting out without subjecting myself to any further risk.  I would NOT like a stay at the IDC because some cop decided to make a random check, or for some other reason decided to check my status only to discover that I was not only working illegally, but doing so while on a significantly lengthy overstay...   You wouldn't be trying to convince ME you were doing the "practical" thing: you'd be trying to convince HIM (or a judge...).   But that's just me.   It's totally up to you.

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

Oh don't get me wrong.  It's totally up to you which course of action to take.  If you think it "impractical" to pawn your stuff in order to get out legally, that's entirely your decision.  For me, "practical" would be getting out without subjecting myself to any further risk.  I would NOT like a stay at the IDC because some cop decided to make a random check, or for some other reason decided to check my status only to discover that I was not only working illegally, but doing so while on a significantly lengthy overstay...   You wouldn't be trying to convince ME you were doing the "practical" thing: you'd be trying to convince HIM (or a judge...).   But that's just me.   It's totally up to you.

Absolutely! Make sure you have enough Xanax to see you out without incident. I hope you are a strong Girl