Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

To the op: I think it is a good idea to pawn your stuff. 10k is not a lot of money and from my experience Thai pawn shops pay rather good money for used stuff. If your friends won't come up with any difference, try working online. Pays peanuts but it's easy money... doing transcription, subtitles, rewriting articles for SEO etc... anyone can do it, no experience needed. If you can only speak English then you will have to compete with a lot of Indians, Filipinos, hence the low pay.

Another tip: Write about your situation in the Bangkok Business Expats Facebook group or in similar groups. Maybe some people will donate and some might actually have to odd job for you.

The problem here as I understand it, is just the extra 10K needed for passing out of the country just by paying the fine, right?

Everybody tries to come up with many great advise that you should try to pawn, work, raise money from friends. They are also talking about staying during that time.
As of you today have a hard time raising 10K that you need, and say that you already raised 30K for a plane ticket. One must here wonder what you have been living out of for 7 month?
I know very well that you might have friends in Thailand that might let you stay for free, but from that and paying nothing is an incredible achievement.

However, as everybody talks about and ask you how long time you have on your ETD and advice you to stay and reaise more money. Off course that might be the only and right solution for you, to be sure to be able to leave the country without even more mishaps. You will also have to consider more to pay for everyday you stay. That might end up in more cost, that you haven´t considered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

When i read this i actually wonder that immigration just asks to see 20000thb sometimes, actually they should ask to see 50000, then a situation like this would maybe not occur

Actually 50K when entering would just be a drip in the ocean too. Any sensible person that is taking a 2-3 week vacation in Thailand should at least have 100K plus ticket costs on top of that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Actually 50K when entering would just be a drip in the ocean too. Any sensible person that is taking a 2-3 week vacation in Thailand should at least have 100K plus ticket costs on top of that.

So your sugesting 2.5 thousand pounds for a two to three week holiday laughable

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So your sugesting 2.5 thousand pounds for a two to three week holiday laughable

What do you mean with laughable??? Is it not enough? 
Off course I am suggesting that. You do not need to have all that in cash in a wallet. You might not even need to spend it all.
Just the knowledge about having enough in ATM, Travellers cheques, cash and whatever other means there is. That will make you know that you can handle an unforseen consequence.
Am I right so far? 

Why in the world would a person take a trip anywhere in the world, wothout having the means and the security that might be needed? I guess you can answer that one easy too.
Some people just needs to take risks. Must have something to do with the adrenalin kick out of it???
As a sensible person it would stand perfectly clear that it´s not possible to do all you want just because you want to. There must be a possibility to handle all situations too.
I mean who wants to get in problem like the OP in this thread?

• Like 2

I had an 11-year overstay and considered the options. It became very evident that clearing it at the airport was the right way to go paying the 20k rather than facing the IDC. I think you too have now reached that same conclusion. Being deported rather than voluntarily surrendering can also have consequences further down the line when applying to enter other countries. Some, for example, will explicitly ask whether you have been deported from any other country and by leaving through the airport and paying the fine "voluntarily" you avoid this potential future issue should you wish to travel to say the US or Australia.

Fortunately, I cleared my overstay before the regulations came into force so was able to fly back into Suvarnabhumi 4 days after I paid the fine anyway I will wish you luck.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gilo said:

I had an 11-year overstay and considered the options.

9 minutes ago, gilo said:

Fortunately, I cleared my overstay before the regulations came into force so was able to fly back into Suvarnabhumi 4 days after I paid the fine

well done

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Inflammatory off topic posts and replies are being removed. No further notice will be given when they are removed. If you have don't have anything helpful to contribute please do not bother posting.

And again.

• Thanks 1

To future readers in similar situations - first priority is "Fine Money" for immigration - which can be combined with a cheap ticket (~1000 Baht and up) to somewhere close (not Laos, though - they won't let you board with an overstay).  Then, figure out the "flight home" money problem from your new temporary (or maybe permanent) home.

If you speak English well, consider teaching it in Cambodia - where a $35 "ordinary" visa is extendable indefinitely in-country, and can be combined with an easy-to-get work-permit.  Working in Cambodia can not only cover one's living-expenses, but could even pay for the home-flight, if one is willing to live-cheap for awhile.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What do you mean with laughable??? Is it not enough? 
Off course I am suggesting that. You do not need to have all that in cash in a wallet. You might not even need to spend it all.
Just the knowledge about having enough in ATM, Travellers cheques, cash and whatever other means there is. That will make you know that you can handle an unforseen consequence.
Am I right so far? 

Why in the world would a person take a trip anywhere in the world, wothout having the means and the security that might be needed? I guess you can answer that one easy too.
Some people just needs to take risks. Must have something to do with the adrenalin kick out of it???
As a sensible person it would stand perfectly clear that it´s not possible to do all you want just because you want to. There must be a possibility to handle all situations too.
I mean who wants to get in problem like the OP in this thread?

That is not what you said but as you have decided now to say in bank if needed i would agree.

However shit happens and it happened to the OP thats life. Many are not as well off or as clued up as you seem to be suggesting

I have been on holidays in tbe past with very very little money. I suppose ive been lucky.

• Like 1

The exclusion period should have replaced the fine, rather than being in addition to it. All the fine does is force people who can't pay it to be detained indefinitely. Most countries will (understandably) bar overstayers from returning, but will assist them to depart.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Try crowdfunding and changing your citizenship to a more competent country. And improve your memory as well. 

Yes like changing citizenship is a really quick and easy process 

How is it going to help his current situation? 

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

People with flight and valid flight documents leaving through an airport in the normal way (paying overstay fines and being blacklisted as appropriate) usually have no other problem. As long as you can raise the cash for the overstay fine, and do the same, you should also be allowed to leave normally. The problem is that your intention is to have yourself arrested and prosecuted in Thailand, not punished by immigration as you leave the country. That is a very different matter.

Your suspicion that I have not had myself arrested, prosecuted and deported for overstay is correct. I am basing my statements on numerous reports available in threads on this site and elsewhere. There are a couple of people who post regularly in this forum who have direct contact with those in the IDC and undergoing deportation. By all means disbelieve my predictions on what might happen. I do suggest you do some searches on 'Thailand deportation process' before making a final decision, however.

I believe South Africa might take six months to issue a regular replacement passport. I still find it totally incredible that it would take that long to issue an emergency travel document, issued by most embassies within 24 hours.

EDIT: According to http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/pp_fees.htm an emergency travel certificate takes one week. I strongly advise you to be careful what you say to Thailand immigration. They will be as aware as I am how long an ETD application takes.

BritTim, is it normal for somebody -regardless of their circumstances - to overstay for as long as 7 months without having a I-dont-give-a-F attitude and with no intention of coming back?  And I am wondering why hasnt anybody advised The Girl to get some money sent in by Western Union. Is it because they cant collect the cash without a valid passport? 

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

To future readers in similar situations - first priority is "Fine Money" for immigration - which can be combined with a cheap ticket (~1000 Baht and up) to somewhere close (not Laos, though - they won't let you board with an overstay).  Then, figure out the "flight home" money problem from your new temporary (or maybe permanent) home.

If you speak English well, consider teaching it in Cambodia - where a $35 "ordinary" visa is extendable indefinitely in-country, and can be combined with an easy-to-get work-permit.  Working in Cambodia can not only cover one's living-expenses, but could even pay for the home-flight, if one is willing to live-cheap for awhile.

In the case of only an overstay, that works.  However, OP doesn't have a valid passport, meaning the only option is to travel home, probably on the flag carrier of their nation of citizenship.  If your country doesn't have a flag carrier (or they don't fly to Thailand) and your chosen airline refuses to board you with an ETD instead of a passport, who knows...  I've heard stories of people with a layover being detained in the transit country for not having a valid passport as well.  It seems to me SA is really shafting their citizens here with the inexcusable and unexplainable lag time for a passport.  As a US citizen (granted I was at home), I was able to apply for a new passport and have it in 3 days for a relatively minor fee due to a shortage of pages for planned travel.  I'd be raising a ruckus back home if it took 6 months to get a replacement passport.

9 minutes ago, cacahootie said:

In the case of only an overstay, that works.  However, OP doesn't have a valid passport, meaning the only option is to travel home, probably on the flag carrier of their nation of citizenship.  If your country doesn't have a flag carrier (or they don't fly to Thailand) and your chosen airline refuses to board you with an ETD instead of a passport, who knows...  I've heard stories of people with a layover being detained in the transit country for not having a valid passport as well.  It seems to me SA is really shafting their citizens here with the inexcusable and unexplainable lag time for a passport.  As a US citizen (granted I was at home), I was able to apply for a new passport and have it in 3 days for a relatively minor fee due to a shortage of pages for planned travel.  I'd be raising a ruckus back home if it took 6 months to get a replacement passport.

Ok - I thought he was on long-overstay due to waiting for the Passport - so had it already.   Not sure what the ETD restrictions are for SA - but should allow one-hop to a neighboring country, then use the Embassy there to get the full Passport, however long it takes, which is another reason to use Cambodia on an "ordinary" visa on-arrival, since it can be extended forever without having to go anywhere. 

Even worse-case - if the ETD can only be used to go home - I believe a transit-country would allow an ETD-holder to continue home.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is impossible to board with an overstay, what you meant was that they will not let you check-in

11 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Probably would have been best to attend Immigration when you first lost your passport and discussed with them how to extend your means of staying in Thailand.

it would have been the common sense thing to do, ignoring problems rarely makes them go away.

you really dont have any friends or family who can help you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danea83 said:

The country is competent enough, as they could have issued temp. papers within a week (or even less, according to other sources), but the OP needed to show valid flight ticket, which he did not, as he did not have money. For some unknown reason he decided to wait a month (for what?) and then another 6 spent on raising money from family and friend on flight ticket.

One does wonder how did he pay for food and loggings, and surely it cost more than 20.000.

And even if he did not lose his passport how was he planning to go back as he did not have any money to begin with. But that’s a rhetorical question

It seems to me, passport issues have nothing to do here, OP had nice vacation and now he’s just trying to get money from strangers to cover his overstay.

You're obviously confused.  OP hasn't asked anyone here for money, and OP is a "she", not a "he" as your skimmed reading of the thread has missed.  I don't see the value in chiding a person based on your (obviously) limited understanding of the situation.  Yes, it seems like part of the story is missing here, but the fundamental question remains valid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1