My Recent Experience….. May Save You Money!

Tonto21

16 hours ago, elgenon said:

Not at all. I sent the company the hospital bill, they deducted the co-pay and sent me a check for the balance. No US schedules of fees was used.

Not sure why you would say that.

Utter contempt for the AMA perhaps 555

On 9/27/2017 at 7:49 AM, impulse said:

How long ago was that?  My understanding is that the 30 baht scheme for western foreigners was a misunderstanding, and is no longer available?

I am not on the 30 Baht scheme those are the hospital charges I am billed for whatever reason. My last set of tests were last year and I was still charged the low price

My partner got hit on the head with an iron gate approx 4 years ago was in icu for 5 days and 5 days private ward all up cost including post opp + mri and other stuff was 240k.

At the time the dr who did the surgery after being called in from his home was looking at her in the accident and emergency room I asked him how much he quoted me 500k as they were swabbing the blood off her head and getting ready shave her head as she vomited blood.

I said to him up front she is Thai and a nurse why so much,  right then and their he said to me 240k he dropped the price by half you have to ask and it was a private hospital In Sir Racha

Edited by whiteman

On 27/09/2017 at 7:36 PM, pgrahmm said:

Do you think you'd get the same level of professionalism if your were to need an operation & post op care?

Depends on the hospital I think. My cities government hospital I had my appendix taken out at. The post op care wasn't amazing, but nothing that made me any less comfortable. Would need to be pretty fussy to complain about it. Basically you are taking your pills out of the packet yourself rather than having them handed to you. Got a private room.

Khon Kaen hospital I was in for the whole of Songkran having every test under the sun done. The nurses and doctors on the ward I was in compared to the hospitals back in Melbourne. Also got a farang menu. They were incredibly caring, even had an American come around who works at the hospital to help/give support to any farang admitted. As it was a non-specific illness I had a good 5 or 6 doctors from different departments come and look at me each day and spend a good 15 minutes discussing everything in detail. Nurses constantly on the move also. 

I think private is good regarding waiting times mostly. Will vaccinate our children in a private hospital so don't have to wait around the masses, but anything more serious the private doctor will just book us in and meet us at the government hospital anyway (free for us).

Maybe a slight difference in nursing (1 nurse to 1 patient, rather than 4 to 1), but in terms of Thailand, all I care about is the doctor getting it right. As so many private and government sometimes get it wrong. 

My young Thai friend needed open heart surgery. Queen Sirikit Heart Center in Khon Kaen said 6 month waiting list. Doctors said that their patient would not survive that long and the procedure was done elsewhere.