British PM May says bitterly disappointed by U.S. Bombardier ruling

webfact

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Well done! You managed to completely sidestep my question in your zeal to insult. So I'll ask it again: why isn't the EU standing up for it's member state the UK over the Bombardier dispute?

My zeal to insult? You are either TM masquerading as a ThaiVisa poster, or is it only 'remoaners' who are open season?

TM went to Washington and repeated the patently obvious nonsense that the UK was about to embark on a successful world trade tour, where the leaders of the free world would fall at our feet, demanding superior trade deals than those we had with the EU. Then she backtracked and suggested that we could negotiate deals of equal worth to those of the EU. Now we are seeing just how much the US values the UK - so much for the special relationship. Our government is so much in turmoil and they feel it is time to stick the knife in? What hope have we got with our less close allies?

This thread is about the above only - nothing to do with the EU, but everything to do with the ridiculous and very serious situation our country finds itself in because of its innate inferiority complex.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

My zeal to insult? You are either TM masquerading as a ThaiVisa poster, or is it only 'remoaners' who are open season?

TM went to Washington and repeated the patently obvious nonsense that the UK was about to embark on a successful world trade tour, where the leaders of the free world would fall at our feet, demanding superior trade deals than those we had with the EU. Then she backtracked and suggested that we could negotiate deals of equal worth to those of the EU. Now we are seeing just how much the US values the UK - so much for the special relationship. Our government is so much in turmoil and they feel it is time to stick the knife in? What hope have we got with our less close allies?

This thread is about the above only - nothing to do with the EU, but everything to do with the ridiculous and very serious situation our country finds itself in because of its innate inferiority complex.

Ok, so you're not going to answer my question then. Which I will repeat: why isn't the EU helping member state the UK with it's Bombardier dispute?

14 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Ok, so you're not going to answer my question then. Which I will repeat: why isn't the EU helping member state the UK with it's Bombardier dispute?

What is the process for the EU to become engaged? Does the UK need to request that Brussels intervenes? Does the fact that the US action is against Canada rather than the EU directly change the mechanism for protest? Are you sure that the EU is nonplussed?

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The EU has been prattling on about the Irish border and protecting the Good Friday agreement. Has it made any comment on this issue with Bombardier, remainers? We are still a member of it's crappy club/scam aren't we? We're still paying in. Why aren't we getting anything out on this? We're expected to honour our commitments but the EU can shirk theirs? All I can find in the press is negative stuff about what happens when the UK is alone outside the EU (which we're not yet).

Btw, I couldn't care less about EU support over this. Just pointing out the hypocrisy by the EU scam organisation.

I didn't know Canada was part of the EU.

47 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What is the process for the EU to become engaged? Does the UK need to request that Brussels intervenes? Does the fact that the US action is against Canada rather than the EU directly change the mechanism for protest? Are you sure that the EU is nonplussed?

The EU identifies Ireland as a 'special case' region. The Bombardier factory in Belfast employs over 4000 people, with probably as many again employed by companies which rely on business with Bombardier. This is why the UK government has got so heavily involved. When has the EU ever waited for requests to get involved in member countries' issues? But not a squawk out of them over this.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

The EU identifies Ireland as a 'special case' region. The Bombardier factory in Belfast employs over 4000 people, with probably as many again employed by companies which rely on business with Bombardier. This is why the UK government has got so heavily involved. When has the EU ever waited for requests to get involved in member countries' issues? But not a squawk out of them over this.

So you mean, not a squawk has been reported - are you sure that there is not something going on behind the scenes that the British press are not reporting. I ventured into the murky, unpleasant world of Niger Farage's twitter feed and saw nothing to suggest that he shares your concerns, and he is certainly not one to miss an opportunity to do bash the EU (apart, of course when it comes to filling his and his family's pockets with EU taxpayers' hard earned money). 

Similarly, no outrage as far as I can tell from the Eurosceptic tories either - surely Bill Cash wouldn't shrug his shoulders at the EU turning its back on a member state's difficulties?

US corps don't play fair.  On the one hand, US corps are heavily subsidized.  On the other hand, a large corp like Boeing gets some protectionist friends in D.C. (lobbyists are v. well paid), .....and this Bombardier sort of thing is what ensues.

Trump and his billionaire protectionist friends may have won a battle, but they're going to lose the trade wars which will ensue.

16 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

US corps don't play fair.  On the one hand, US corps are heavily subsidized.  On the other hand, a large corp like Boeing gets some protectionist friends in D.C. (lobbyists are v. well paid), .....and this Bombardier sort of thing is what ensues.

Trump and his billionaire protectionist friends may have won a battle, but they're going to lose the trade wars which will ensue.

Hello Boomer.

I want to thank you for your honesty as to what is actually happening.
Correct, US corps don't play fair.

Now, you say this "Trump and his billionaire protectionist friends may have won a battle, but they're going to lose the trade wars which will ensue."
What does this mean ? Yes, overall, planet earth will lose because of protectionism and trade wars. But, who will be hurt the most ? See, in war, if you're hurt more than me, then, I'm the winner. And here's the point. Trump's policies will hurt all sides. But the pain that goes to America will be less than the pain that goes to whatever country that is not America.

In life, I'm still smiling if the pain you're getting is greater than mine. Admit it, it's true. In a crazy way, maybe Trump will actually make America a winner.    :smile:

The bigger trade war which is looming, is going to be between US and China.  Trump is too sidetracked with concerns about NFL players (he calls 'sons of bitches'), but when he wakes up to realities on the other side of the world, including the S.China Sea, then we'll see some econoquakes which make the Bombardier thing look small in comparison.

And yes, I know the S.China Sea issue isn't economic on its surface, but it has economic undertones like an iceberg (7/10ths what you don't see is under water).

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

So you mean, not a squawk has been reported - are you sure that there is not something going on behind the scenes that the British press are not reporting. I ventured into the murky, unpleasant world of Niger Farage's twitter feed and saw nothing to suggest that he shares your concerns, and he is certainly not one to miss an opportunity to do bash the EU (apart, of course when it comes to filling his and his family's pockets with EU taxpayers' hard earned money). 

Similarly, no outrage as far as I can tell from the Eurosceptic tories either - surely Bill Cash wouldn't shrug his shoulders at the EU turning its back on a member state's difficulties?

Like I've already said, I couldn't care less whether or not they get involved. I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy in demanding that the UK honours it's commitments, whilst shirking its own commitment to assist a member state in a trade dispute covering a region in which the EU is supposed to be taking a special interest.

On 28/09/2017 at 7:21 AM, Dustdevil said:

All European and Commonwealth-made aircraft are government-subsidized. To blazes with them.  By the way, I hate those little Canadair regional jets. Even in first class there's no room in the overhead bins for the normal wheeled carryon bags. Flying from Boise to San Francisco they dumped us on the tarmac to await our carryon luggage! United should scrap those and use 737s. And don't talk to me about the U.S. being protectionist. Europe and all of East Asia are far more protectionist. Just look at how your precious EU constantly targets successful American tech companies ... because they're popular and that irks Brussels. Meanwhile the U.S. is under no obligation to allow every import in unscathed. Here's an example of British corporate arrogance: HSBC or one of the major British banks dealt with Iran directly from their New York branch, against U.S. law. The manager there said "Who are the Americans to tell us who we can do business with?" The answer to that us when you're on U.S. soil, you follow U.S. laws and don't use the U.S. financial system to launder money for Iran! Do it from your own shores.

Nurse! Nurse!

On 28/09/2017 at 7:34 AM, Dustdevil said:

Trident subs carry 192 independently targetable nuclear warheads from 100 to 450 kilotons  (Hiroshima's was 14kt) atop 28 missiles. I'm not sure France's subs are more than a token.

And these are UK designed and built. They work. Don't worry about THAT!

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

And curiously ignored here is that (1) Boeing employs directly and indirectly 18,000 jobs in the UK, according to a NY Times report. and (2) the Boeing case was not frivolous; they won the case because the Quebec and Canadian national governments subsidize the Bombardier C jet to the tune of 220% of its retail worth.

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

And these are UK designed and built. They work. Don't worry about THAT!

Trident Vanguard-class submarines were built between 1986 and 1998 by Vickers at Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_nuclear_programme#Design.2C_development_and_construction

They will be replaced eventually by the Trident Successor (Dreadnought?) to be built by BAE but with steel from France.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/trident-submarines-built-french-steel-8980420

6 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

US Navy Tridents are Ohio-class submarines, never designed or built in Britain.

The warheads dear boy, the war heads.

You are also incorrect about the submarines.

Trident missiles are indeed American; at the moment.

10 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Like I've already said, I couldn't care less whether or not they get involved. I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy in demanding that the UK honours it's commitments, whilst shirking its own commitment to assist a member state in a trade dispute covering a region in which the EU is supposed to be taking a special interest.

No, you are jumping to a conclusion and labeling the EU as bad despite being unable to comment on whether they are guilty of the charge you level against them. Come back with evidence that they are deliberately sitting on their hands and you might have a point. Otherwise, you are merely another in a long line of those who spread fake negative news about the EU in an attempt to bolster your own position. Look where that got us - Brexit.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

No, you are jumping to a conclusion and labeling the EU as bad despite being unable to comment on whether they are guilty of the charge you level against them. Come back with evidence that they are deliberately sitting on their hands and you might have a point. Otherwise, you are merely another in a long line of those who spread fake negative news about the EU in an attempt to bolster your own position. Look where that got us - Brexit.

Er, no. You come back with evidence that they are doing anything about this. It's clear that they are not, but you are using the old 'behind the scenes' chestnut (:laugh:). And you're right about all the fake negative news getting us to brexit. The fake negative news by remain's Project Fear. And it's continuation (coupled with the EU's disgusting behaviour toward the UK) is playing a big part in cementing brexit amongst the UK public, to the point that even Ken Clarke states that reversing brexit is a non-starter with the electorate.

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Er, no. You come back with evidence that they are doing anything about this. It's clear that they are not, but you are using the old 'behind the scenes' chestnut (:laugh:). And you're right about all the fake negative news getting us to brexit. The fake negative news by remain's Project Fear. And it's continuation (coupled with the EU's disgusting behaviour toward the UK) is playing a big part in cementing brexit amongst the UK public, to the point that even Ken Clarke states that reversing brexit is a non-starter with the electorate.

How can the EU get involved in a dispute between US government and a Canadian company? You still have not answered that question.

Just now, stevenl said:

How can the EU get involved in a dispute between US government and a Canadian company? You still have not answered that question.

Why don't you stop trolling and do a bit of basic research on this issue and it's relevance to the UK? Hint: it's in the thread op. You know? This thread in which you keep posting your daft responses? And if you still need help, go and mither someone else.

21 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Why don't you stop trolling and do a bit of basic research on this issue and it's relevance to the UK? Hint: it's in the thread op. You know? This thread in which you keep posting your daft responses? And if you still need help, go and mither someone else.

There is currently another case going through the WTO dispute process involving Bombardier receiving government subsidies, Brazil v Canada ( DS522). The EU are involved in the proposed consultation as a third party along with China, Japan, US , Russian federation and Singapore.

As the Canada - US dispute as not reached the WTO dispute resolution, then it ultimately remains with the US and Canada to reach an agreement

I am not the one making unfounded claims - the burden of proof is on you, no matter how you try to wriggle yourself out of it. 

Of course it is relevant to the UK, but that does not mean the EU can and will get involved. At the moment it is a dispute between 2 countries, neither of which are EU members, so for the moment the EU can not and will not be involved.

Your response and refusal to answer the question how the EU could get involved is pathetic.

Edited by stevenl

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You don't stop asking the same (stupid) question tree times (ore more). A question with wrong fundamentals.

To enlighten you

It's said already many times here that nobody is able to answer a question of this (nonsense) style:

Why doesn't the EU support the UK against the USA when CAN had built a licensed factory on the moon/in the UK? Bombardier is a Canadian Co., not belonging to the EU. You are contradicting your own ideas: The UK should design and resolve its own affairs. That's already a view into the Brexit future (you like and prefer so much !).

If the US action is against the EU law, why didn't your Brexit darlings. TM + BJ + NF, ask the EU for support against the US tax intentions?

The EU has represented the Airbus concerned EU countries against Boeing. That includes the UK. You see, the „bureaucracy monster“ (favorite word of Brexit lovers) has fought for the UK, too.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not the one making unfounded claims - the burden of proof is on you, no matter how you try to wriggle yourself out of it. 

There is not one iota of evidence that the EU is supporting the UK over this, so I don't have to prove otherwise. You, on the other hand, have made the completely unfounded claim that the EU may be helping out behind the scenes. Prove it.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Of course it is relevant to the UK, but that does not mean the EU can and will get involved. At the moment it is a dispute between 2 countries, neither of which are EU members, so for the moment the EU can not and will not be involved.

Your response and refusal to answer the question how the EU could get involved is pathetic.

The title of this thread is "British PM May says bitterly disappointed by U.S. Bombardier ruling" . The British PM is neither Canadian nor American. She's British. The reason why she is bitterly disappointed is because there are thousands of jobs at risk in a region of Britain in which the EU purportedly has a special interest. The EU is showing no interest in this potential loss of jobs (bur Ruam Rudy thinks that they might be, behind the scenes - I'm waiting for any scraps of evidence from him that this might be the case).

By the way, Google is an American company which the EU fined 2.4 billion Euros over it's business behaviour over the internet which is available in EU countries