why many people are hooked to facebook despite the spying, censorship and its unethical behavior

heroKK

On 28/09/2017 at 8:18 PM, amvet said:

I have a big family in three different countries and they can contact me with Facebook messenger in my living room or study or outside anytime I'm awake.  The service answers automatically and I see a couple of faces and there are my kids and grandkids on the big screen TV and we chat my other families with my Thai family and the dogs.  It is more of a real time free communication service to me rather than some of the spy stuff the folks here are getting into.

Due to some amazing old fashioned technology I can use gmail or any email account and select any of the following groups, "immediate family"  "all family" or "close friends and all family."   I can attach pictures, videos or anything else and everyone has an email address.  It sometimes seems like everyone has a Facebook page but fortunately this is an illusion  This obsolete email system allows an instant connection to their recipients mail accounts regardless of where they are, even if they are away from a computer or Wifi connection.  If they are away from home in whatever country, they will get a notification on their mobile that there is a message there for them.  Or I can text them or ring them on their mobiles if it is really urgent.  Or I can ring them on Viber for free if they have it loaded or the call goes to any other phone in the world for a few baht.

I already have a few time wasting junk emails and TVF notifications. via my e-mail account.    I absolutely do not need the extra much bigger time waster of facebook or twitter etc etc etc idiots who want to tell me what bus they are on or send me immediately urgent pictures of their lunch hamburger with a bite out of it.  My wife has to have Facebook and Line  for her business and I accept that but unfortunately she now spend hours looking at cat videos etc that she never used to get on email.   

Whatever advantages that Facebook has over email or Viber, I do not need at the expense of my privacy, security and time wasting on any social media.  I am only on TVF because I live here, I do not watch TV for news, and the forums have useful  info on matters pertaining to my life here.  My Internet homepage is the major daily newspaper in my home country.  I could add multiple home pages like BK Post but ............  more time to waste every day.  We only get given  24 hours in each day and no repeats.  At nearly 70 I do not like wasting them.   Nobody except some business people NEED Facebook and two many of the ones who like it, shouldn't have it.   Well that is my take on it.  

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Due to some amazing old fashioned technology I can use gmail or any email account and select any of the following groups, "immediate family"  "all family" or "close friends and all family."   I can attach pictures, videos or anything else and everyone has an email address.  It sometimes seems like everyone has a Facebook page but fortunately this is an illusion  This obsolete email system allows an instant connection to their recipients mail accounts regardless of where they are, even if they are away from a computer or Wifi connection.  If they are away from home in whatever country, they will get a notification on their mobile that there is a message there for them.  Or I can text them or ring them on their mobiles if it is really urgent.  Or I can ring them on Viber for free if they have it loaded or the call goes to any other phone in the world for a few baht.

I already have a few time wasting junk emails and TVF notifications. via my e-mail account.    I absolutely do not need the extra much bigger time waster of facebook or twitter etc etc etc idiots who want to tell me what bus they are on or send me immediately urgent pictures of their lunch hamburger with a bite out of it.  My wife has to have Facebook and Line  for her business and I accept that but unfortunately she now spend hours looking at cat videos etc that she never used to get on email.   

Whatever advantages that Facebook has over email or Viber, I do not need at the expense of my privacy, security and time wasting on any social media.  I am only on TVF because I live here, I do not watch TV for news, and the forums have useful  info on matters pertaining to my life here.  My Internet homepage is the major daily newspaper in my home country.  I could add multiple home pages like BK Post but ............  more time to waste every day.  We only get given  24 hours in each day and no repeats.  At nearly 70 I do not like wasting them.   Nobody except some business people NEED Facebook and two many of the ones who like it, shouldn't have it.   Well that is my take on it.  

I send a photo to all of my friends and family (about 200) people by email.  Each of them sends me a comment back by email.  All of the friends and family of those people comment and copy their friends send it back by email.  You can see this becomes a nightmare to open and read the thousands of emails I have just created.  Perhaps that's why Facebook has 2 billion monthly users and Gmail has half of that.  Plus the interface is much easier to use.  I was at the mall on the weekend and my wife and I communicated with Facebook and sent photos back and forth of items we each wanted the other to buy.  I can do that with one click as opposed the writing an email.   Facebook is the easiest interface.  Line is necessary if you live in Thailand to do almost any kind of business.  Doesn't make much sense to argue about it.  Odds are you'll have face book by next year anyway.  Especially since your wife has it you are a de facto user now.

2 hours ago, amvet said:

I send a photo to all of my friends and family (about 200) people by email.  Each of them sends me a comment back by email.  All of the friends and family of those people comment and copy their friends send it back by email.  You can see this becomes a nightmare to open and read the thousands of emails I have just created.  Perhaps that's why Facebook has 2 billion monthly users and Gmail has half of that.  Plus the interface is much easier to use.  I was at the mall on the weekend and my wife and I communicated with Facebook and sent photos back and forth of items we each wanted the other to buy.  I can do that with one click as opposed the writing an email.   Facebook is the easiest interface.  Line is necessary if you live in Thailand to do almost any kind of business.  Doesn't make much sense to argue about it.  Odds are you'll have face book by next year anyway.  Especially since your wife has it you are a de facto user now.

I don't know 200 people in the 3 countries I am most closely connected with or have lived in.   Serves you right for being such a nice guy that everyone wants to know and be "friends" with.    However, how many of those 200 people could you ask a favour of, or more importantly would you be prepared to do a favour for?    In my experience there is one hell of a lot of difference between family & real friends and  just "Facebook friends."   Some people skite about how many FB friends they have, (present company,presumably excepted.)   I had FB over 4 years ago for three weeks.    Hated it.  I am still a defacto user because people can still find me as a FB user but I get no messages now.  I haven't been on my page in over 4 years and do not even remember the password.  Someone did send me a picture of a business matter on FB when I asked for it to be emailed, but he just copied to email when reminded.  

Wife & I shop together usually but have used Line on occasion to confirm an item when not together.   I have lots of gmail groups, some quite small, but most of my emails acknowledge that other people actually have lives and do not live on their computer.  So my emails are usually specifically targeted.  Put simply I am too private to tell everyone I have ever met everything I do.  If people don't appreciate my news letters or don't respond to emails I can wipe them off the group list but still keep the address in "Contacts."   I only send a real bulk mail message to lots of people once or twice a year at most.  Wife only uses FB for business but actually does most of her social stuff on Line.  In a digital sense, I guess I am deliberately"anti-social" or just "selectively social" as I prefer to think of it.   

Don't bet any money on me being an avid FB user any time soon. 

2 hours ago, amvet said:

I don't know 200 people in the 3 countries I am most closely connected with or have lived in.   Serves you right for being such a nice guy that everyone wants to know and be "friends" with.    However, how many of those 200 people could you ask a favour of, or more importantly would you be prepared to do a favour for?    In my experience there is one hell of a lot of difference between family & real friends and  just "Facebook friends."   Some people skite about how many FB friends they have, (present company presumably excepted.)   I had FB over 4 years ago for three weeks.    Hated it.  I am still a defacto user because people can still find me as a FB user but I get no emails about it now.  I haven't been on my page in over 4 years and do not even remember the password.  Someone did send me a picture of a business matter on FB when I asked for it to be emailed, but he just copied to email when reminded.  

Wife & I shop together usually but have used Line on occasion to confirm an item when not together.   I have lots of gmail groups, some quite small, but most of my emails acknowledge that other people actually have lives and do not live on their computer.  So my emails are usually specifically targeted.  Put simply I am too private to tell everyone I have ever met everything I do.  If people don't appreciate my news letters or don't respond to emails I can wipe them off the group list but still keep the address in "Contacts."   I only send a real bulk mail message to lots of people once or twice a year at most.  Wife only uses FB for business but actually does most of her social stuff on Line.  In a digital sense, I guess I am deliberately"anti-social" or just "selectively social" as I prefer to think of it.    I just cannot understand the fascination of it with some people

Don't bet any money on me being an avid FB user any time soon. 

I should have added something.  I use Facebook Messenger 99% of the time and Facebook 1%.  Facebook Messenger is a stand alone cross platform free app that has 1.5 billion monthly users.  You can tell if the other person has seen your message immediately and encrypt your conversation and make phone and video calls.  You can make it your SMS default.  If you are one of the few folks who don't have a Facebook account you can use Messenger and sign up for it without a Facebook account. 

2 hours ago, amvet said:

I should have added something.  I use Facebook Messenger 99% of the time and Facebook 1%.  Facebook Messenger is a stand alone cross platform free app that has 1.5 billion monthly users.  You can tell if the other person has seen your message immediately and encrypt your conversation and make phone and video calls.  You can make it your SMS default.  If you are one of the few folks who don't have a Facebook account you can use Messenger and sign up for it without a Facebook account. 

Brilliant.  Exactly my point.  You ride a brown horse 99% of the time but criticise me because because my horse is black.   In reality you probably could dispense with the other 1% bulk messaging 175 people you barely know and your life would not change .  So my life is not one of trying to ride a horse on the interstate after all.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Brilliant.  Exactly my point.  You ride a brown horse 99% of the time but criticise me because because my horse is black.   In reality you probably could dispense with the other 1% bulk messaging 175 people you barely know and your life would not change .  So my life is not one of trying to ride a horse on the interstate after all.

Messenger updated today.  I'd tell you about it but seems like pearls to ..... if you know what I mean.  One thing I haven't mentioned is Xi Jinping banned Facebook in China.  I'd use it just for that if nothing else.  Facebook is the best way to contact other people when you can't talk face to face.  You can encrypt the messages or try and influence a countries elections.  You don't like Facebook and a couple of billion users do.  Being a contrarian I'm sure has it's advantages modern communications is not one of them. 

10 minutes ago, amvet said:

Messenger updated today.  I'd tell you about it but seems like pearls to ..... if you know what I mean.  One thing I haven't mentioned is Xi Jinping banned Facebook in China.  I'd use it just for that if nothing else.  Facebook is the best way to contact other people when you can't talk face to face.  You can encrypt the messages or try and influence a countries elections.  You don't like Facebook and a couple of billion users do.  Being a contrarian I'm sure has it's advantages modern communications is not one of them. 

OK.  I will not say you win.  Over & out, but Viber is encrypted too.  And possibly not banned in China (or Thailand who seem to want to follow the Chinese model in "security." )

Edited by The Deerhunter

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

OK.  I will not say you win.  Over & out, but Viber is encrypted too.  And possibly not banned in China (or Thailand who seem to want to follow the Chinese model in "security." )

Not that I imagine in my wildest dreams that you read the thread before posting but the Original poster wrote, " I agree with the Chinese, the Vietnamese and even the Iranians who banned this site completely, considering its obvious bias towards the interest of some particular minority... "  You and he agree.  Birds of a feather.......

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Instead of FB you can use Skype and send pictures , videos and comment . It's more privacy , only contacts will be able to read your messages.

Primitive in comparison to FB Messenger which is available in Facebook and as a free standing app.  "Secret Conversations" to all 900 million Facebook Messenger users in 2016. The opt-in feature allows users to encrypt their messages so that no one can read them except the two people on either end of a conversation—not even Facebook or law enforcement or intelligence agencies. "Your messages are already secure, but Secret Conversations are encrypted from one device to another," states a description in the app when users initiate their first encrypted conversation. when users initiate their first encrypted conversation.

3 hours ago, amvet said:

Primitive in comparison to FB Messenger which is available in Facebook and as a free standing app.  "Secret Conversations" to all 900 million Facebook Messenger users in 2016. The opt-in feature allows users to encrypt their messages so that no one can read them except the two people on either end of a conversation—not even Facebook or law enforcement or intelligence agencies. "Your messages are already secure, but Secret Conversations are encrypted from one device to another," states a description in the app when users initiate their first encrypted conversation. when users initiate their first encrypted conversation.

When Microsoft bought Skype they removed the encryption so they can read everything if they want to. I only use it as a face to face free phone call

Re Iran etc, I have no clue who they are talking about and probably don't care.  Thanks for the interest.  Over and out from me on this thread.

2 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

When Microsoft bought Skype they removed the encryption so they can read everything if they want to. I only use it as a face to face free phone call

Re Iran etc, I have no clue who they are talking about and probably don't care.  Thanks for the interest.  Over and out from me on this thread.

If you read the thread you would know what it was about.  Normally people read a thread before posting.