Pattaya: Uber to be run out of town but taxis ordered to turn on meters - or else!

webfact

The first problem they need to fix with the taxis is the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge.  Stop the mandatory 15k Baht per month contribution to the BIB Mercedes for every officer fund.  Maybe then start to look at the rest once that financial burden is gone.  Will this happen, probably not. So the problem will continue.  Pretty hard to expect law and order when the whole system is corrupt.

Cheers

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting ! This actually means that the police just confirmed that taxi drivers must turn on the meter ! 

So next time I will demand the driver to turn on the meter or else I will report him to the police. 

I mean it , I am willing to test this now , and will make a copy of this article.  No meter and the driver should get a big fine. 

Edited by balo

42 minutes ago, balo said:

Interesting ! This actually means that the police just confirmed that taxi drivers must turn on the meter ! 

So next time I will demand the driver to turn on the meter or else I will report him to the police. 

I mean it , I am willing to test this now , and will make a copy of this article.  No meter and the driver should get a big fine. 

Hope your medical insurance is in order. 

3 hours ago, alexlm said:

Well, I'm still using Uber in Pattaya today as usual. Nothing has changed. All this are just words?

Me too last night I ordered 3 Uber Taxi, no problem.

The single thing that will change: "Taxi Meters" will have to turn on meters

What Im' seeing in the future:

- still taxi motorbike service for short trips

- taxi meters in tourist areas, sometime they will refuse to turn on the meter (as Bangkok): some tourists will agree in high season, thai people or regular tourists or expats will take the next one or order Uber

- Uber with be even cheaper if Taxi Meters turn on the meter

- Traffic will be better in Pattaya, less drunk drivers, more expats living outside of Pattaya will come and party (I know MANY people that have stoped to come in Pattaya at night because of DUI check + no Taxi service at night... except motorbike taxis... but who will agree to take a motorbike for a long distance at night ?)

Does anyone actually believe the taxis are going to turn on their meters LONG TERM?

I don't.

I suppose it's possible some might in the short term during a big show "crackdown" period. 

Do most of the meters even work at all?

I've never heard of even one report of them ever being turned on here as yet.

In that vein, anyone that actually gets an actual Pattaya taxi meter that turns it on, please let us know!

1 hour ago, harleyclarkey said:

Seriously? They are the illegal ones by refusing to turn on their meters!

Once again the thugs win in Thailand. 

Long live freedom and competition in the land of smiles/snarles

Correct the bad governance shines through. Vote for me 3.5  years and no one cares lol. Hey I have army lol

14 hours ago, impulse said:

I thought Grab Car were just legal taxis that utilized the Grab app to find riders?

I'm surprised they didn't demand an end to those despicable BKK taxis taking backhaul fares...

BTW, are there really metered taxis in Pattaya?  I've never encountered one, but then- I've never looked for one.

Grab Car has several variant. Anyway they dont want any system that would allow customer to compare price and create some form of competition between provider , be it legal provider.

10 hours ago, kg1947 said:

If you need transportation, RENT a Blue pickup ( Songthaew ) ,

they have suffered through many episodes , yet the regular routes

still cost Baht 10.- p/person.

Within the CITY - charter price B. 150.- up to B 200.- / trip

Outside City Limit - charter B 250.- and up . 

SUPPORT YOUR HARDWORKING BLUE pickups , although

sometimes they're a bit moody & have no smiles left .....

IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING like them, you'll be grumpy too !

10 hours ago, kg1947 said:

RENT a BLUE pickup instead ...

In town B 150.- to B 200.-

Going out of tiwn B 250.- and up 

Screw the TAXI MAFIA , They will never use METER .

Blue pickup from Tesco Lotus to my home:  B200.

Uber from Tesco Lotus to my home:  B85-B100.

18 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Authorities forging ahead again.

A big green light to the bad guys,  oh deer oh deer.

Time for a new slogan

Good Taxi drivers  out,  Bad Taxi drivers in. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job :bah:

Hang on to the antlers, no room for shopping or luggage, and no meter.

Sorry.

Deer.docx

Three points:

1/ What happened to the radio taxis?

You could call the number same as, pay 20Tb for call to the driver and they use the meter for the trip.

2/ If all the meter taxis used the meter they would get a lot more trips and make money, but maybe have to do some work.

3/ Taxi mafia is still in operation at all the airports.

Of course, the mafia might not like it, so considering most of the Thai mafia wear uniforms (or did) nothing will change...

:ermm:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Hang on to the antlers, no room for shopping or luggage, and no meter.

Sorry.

Deer.docx

Thank you for the word Doc :coffee1:

I did ask the mods to correct that error, but it fell on deaf ears.

Perhaps they were just waiting for,   a not so smart reply from some wing nut.

with a brain not the size of a planet.

But i could be wrong and you were referring to the Essan Taxi soon to be

pattayas up grade to the the local fleet,  it kind of fits with the IQ of the local drivers

Have a nice day. :jap:

isan Taxi buffalo.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

On 28/09/2017 at 11:46 AM, murraynz said:

i have never had a problem with taxi drivers in pattaya--if they quote too much-i just walk away-most times they reduce quote..what amazes me the numbers of pickup trucks and non signwritten vehicles, that are used as taxis- do they have to be licienced,even the drivers wear mufti ,not licenced??   i have never had any problem with these people though..likewise with motor bike taxis--many of them dont display id.

the authorities should be ensuring ALL  drivers are licenced.

Not always possible. I have lived in Jomtein for 2 years now. You ask the taxi and he wants 200 baht for 1.5 km. you try to negotiate and get nowhere. The only other taxis nearby are his buddies all waiting to do the same. So they keep their own prices high.