Where is Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) Jomtien?

soistalker

18 hours ago, tropo said:

Am I right in assuming that you'd have to be the registered user to pay this way? I rent, and the electric bill remains in the landlord's name.

Yes, you have to register. Not sure if tenant can but i think it is possible. It is also possible to manage many condos under one online account. As you can see it is thai only and i do not speak or read thai but with chrome inside translator i managed to register, add condos  and do my stuff there..

23 hours ago, tropo said:

I didn't know you can pay by direct debit if your name is not on the bill.

I did direct debit on a rented townhouse a few years ago.  Bill was in landlady's name, payment came out of account in my name.

I am in in europe now and i just paid 2 sebtember electricbills with https://epay.pea.co.th/epay/ service. I usually use krungsri payment channel to pay but that did not work this time so first time i used SCB. Interesting, scb payment channel only asked login/password not the extra password sent to thai mobile.

Service fee was 20 baht for 2 electricbills. When i am in Thailand, i will one time test if i can pay also when bill is late.. That i do not know and not going to test thousand of kilometres away from Pattaya.. :)

2 hours ago, thaitero said:

I am in in europe now and i just paid 2 sebtember electricbills with https://epay.pea.co.th/epay/ service. I usually use krungsri payment channel to pay but that did not work this time so first time i used SCB. Interesting, scb payment channel only asked login/password not the extra password sent to thai mobile.

Service fee was 20 baht for 2 electricbills. When i am in Thailand, i will one time test if i can pay also when bill is late..

My bill pays itself by direct debit every month, regardless of where I am. It never forgets or makes a mistake. It's never late. It never requires me to even be aware of it, let alone to do anything. As soon as it happens I get an SMS from my bank telling me about it. And the direct debits are free on my account.

Seems like a no-brainer to me really, but each to his own.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My bill pays itself by direct debit every month, regardless of where I am. It never forgets or makes a mistake. It's never late. It never requires me to even be aware of it, let alone to do anything. As soon as it happens I get an SMS from my bank telling me about it. And the direct debits are free on my account.

Seems like a no-brainer to me really, but each to his own.

Except you need to make sure your bank account has enough cash to cover it... so it's not quite without its problems if you don't keep a lot of cash in a Thai account. I don't, and occasionally it gets near zero before I top up. I know, keep more money on a Thai account LOL... but for sure, it does require some thought.

It's definitely a great idea if you travel overseas often... and if you always have plenty of cash in a Thai bank account - yeah, a no-brainer for sure.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Except you need to make sure your bank account has enough cash to cover it... so it's not quite without its problems if you don't keep a lot of cash in a Thai account. I don't, and occasionally it gets near zero before I top up. I know, keep more money on a Thai account LOL... but for sure, it does require some thought.

If the day ever dawns that I need to think about keeping the value of my electricity bill (~1500B) in my bank account here then getting my electricity cut off will probably be very low on my list of worries.

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

If the day ever dawns that I need to think about keeping the value of my electricity bill (~1500B) in my bank account here then getting my electricity cut off will probably be very low on my list of worries.

Why would you assume that if a Thai bank account gets low it's a problem of not having any money? It causes me no worries at all. When it's low I merely top it up, but as I said, the problem would be occasional, but that occasional would be inconvenient if my electric bill wasn't paid.  

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Why would you assume that if a Thai bank account gets low it's a problem of not having any money? 

Because that would be the only reason why I would ever allow my bank balance to get so low, unless perhaps I was dead or incapacitated. I also never run out of kitchen essentials as I always have advance stock.

Perhaps you are the sort of person who doesnt plan properly, but I was commenting on my bank balance not yours.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Because that would be the only reason why I would ever allow my bank balance to get so low, unless perhaps I was dead or incapacitated. I also never run out of kitchen essentials as I always have advance stock.

Perhaps you are the sort of person who doesnt plan properly, but I was commenting on my bank balance not yours.

So you basically assume because it's a problem for you to run out of money on your Thai bank account, that would be a problem for all? 

I was merely indicating that it could be a problem for direct debiting on some occasions for me. Please note use of the words "some" and "occasion".

My kitchen is always well stocked. LOL I'm very organized, we just don't handle our finances the same way. 

Anyway, I'm going to cook myself a meal in my well-stocked kitchen.

Cheers!

As i see, only possible problem for direct debit is PEA mistake and you will be debited huge amount money and after that you have quite hassle to get your money back. That is why i have autodebit account which has low balance all the time..

Edited by thaitero

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

As i see, only possible problem for direct debit is PEA mistake and you will be debited huge amount money

Yes I heard of that happening..but more likely was that someone was tapping into the supply of an unlucky victim

causing excessive usage,sometimes the meters can malfunction too.

With direct debit the bill would just get paid as long as there was enough in the account, you might not notice a missing 100-500,000 baht for quite a while ! :shock1:

As i see, only possible problem for direct debit is PEA mistake and you will be debited huge amount money and after that you have quite hassle to get your money back.

This could happen, but I always get the meter reading slip a couple of weeks before the direct debit goes though so I do have time to check. Unless of course I'm not there.

I am looking at switching to the PEA smart invoice system which in theory should send me an invoice by email before the direct debit goes through.

That is why i have autodebit account which has low balance all the time..

Yes, a good solution. Mine has a few tens of thousands of Baht in so any huge bill would just fail as you point out.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I am looking at switching to the PEA smart invoice system which in theory should send me an invoice by email before the direct debit goes through.

First day every month i do receive sms from sender "PEA1129" saying: Please deposit payment for electric bill amount xxx.xx into your account by 06/09/17 (last received). This message is for my autodebit which is handled by SCB. Not sure is this bank sending or PEA.  I have had this autodebit plan about 6 years with my bank and i do not remember signing any smart system plans for this..

So this works o.k when i am in Thailand.. However when i am outside i do not always receive this sms, like the latest sms it seems i have missed telling about next payment..

Edit: I noticed that this message has not always come the first day but anyway between 1-4 from start of the month.

Edited by thaitero

15 minutes ago, thaitero said:

First day every month i do receive sms from sender "PEA1129" saying: Please deposit payment for electric bill amount xxx.xx into your account by 06/09/17 (last received). This message is for my autodebit which is handled by SCB. Not sure is this bank sending or PEA.

Interesting. I dont get that at all. Just the debit advice SMS on the day which is definitely sent by my bank. And of course I get the actual bill when they read the meter, about two weeks before the direct debit goes through, and the paper bill by post a few days after the payment has been made.

I have a direct debit set up with a dedicated account that is only used for PEA, I track it monthly with the online account and the print out meter slip that is put in the mail box. That amount is taken out by them at the beginning of every month.

The system works well with the exception of one time when a truck turned up to disconnect the meter saying the bill had  not been paid, showed them the direct debits and it turned out that the cut off date for meter removal is before the DD payment date and someone had not picked up the DD arrangement before sending out the disconnection truck.

Note about mobileapp came from one Pattaya juristicperson so i do not know either more about this..:sorry:

Dear Co-owner, 

Due to the electricity meter of your unit is currently in the co-owner’s name please kindly see the electricity invoice with due date on 10 Oct. 2017 as per attached. 

The payment can be made by; 

1. Counter service (7-11 / Family Mart / Tesco Lotus, etc.) 
2. PEA office branches
3. PEA Mobile Application

The original electricity invoice can be collected from your mailbox. 

We may recommend you to make an auto payment with the bank to deduct automatically every month for your convenience and to avoid electricity cut by PEA officer. 

Thank you for your kind cooperation.

12 hours ago, thaitero said:

PEA Mobile Application is one way to pay also, i was informed today. Never heard that one before.. Someone knows here?

The PEA app is available on my phone and appears to have a section for payment, but it's entirely in Thai so it's anyone's guess how it actually works, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 2:56 PM, HarrySeaman said:
  On 9/28/2017 at 2:25 PM, Sydneyboy1 said:

There s a PEA branch in Big C extra (Pattaya Klaeng.) In the food court area.

Don't know if Jomtien residents can pay there or not. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay an electric bill at a PEA branch by credit/debit card?

Edited by tropo

what happens if you leave country for 2 or 3 months without paying (say for a rented condo).....will it be cut off and do you just then go to the PEA to get it up as running again.....is it reconnected instantly if cut off?

Edited by leddie

On 10/17/2017 at 6:32 PM, leddie said:

what happens if you leave country for 2 or 3 months without paying (say for a rented condo).....will it be cut off and do you just then go to the PEA to get it up as running again.....is it reconnected instantly if cut off?

I think it might vary from province to province, so I'm curious what would happen in Pattaya, too.  When I lived in Hua Hin, a neighbor had his meter removed after about two months of non-payment while he was away.  It was quite pricey to have it reconnected, and they did not come out promptly after he paid up.  ISTR it was three days he waited for them to come re-install the meter.

One time (also in Hua Hin) I never got my bill, so didn't pay, and a week after the due date they disconnected the live wire from the meter.  It was easy to just slide the wire back in after I paid the overdue bill and late fee.  The PEA truck showed up the next day to reconnect, but I had already done it the day before.  Another neighbor said I could have slid the wire back in and had power even before paying the late fee.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, wpcoe said:

I think it might vary from province to province, so I'm curious what would happen in Pattaya, too.  When I lived in Hua Hin, a neighbor had his meter removed after about two months of non-payment while he was away.  It was quite pricey to have it reconnected, and they did not come out promptly after he paid up.  ISTR it was three days he waited for them to come re-install the meter.

One time (also in Hua Hin) I never got my bill, so didn't pay, and a week after the due date they disconnected the live wire from the meter.  It was easy to just slide the wire back in after I paid the overdue bill and late fee.  The PEA truck showed up the next day to reconnect, but I had already done it the day before.  Another neighbor said I could have slid the wire back in and had power even before paying the late fee.

Interesting....any other ideas out there?