Video: When will Thai drivers learn their lesson?

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living and driving in Thailand is one of the biggest frustrations .. Narrow two lane roads where if the shoulder is not cracked and full of deep holes the the jungle is hanging over the road making it a one lane. at the best of times two on coming vehicles of the same make might have 6 inches clearance between the side view mirrors.. This time of year is the pot hole growing season which does not help..

No parking place and in many cases no shoulder to park on so many just stop driving.. That really is a problem on a two lane street and a delivery truck decides to stop and off load.

One thing told to me back in 1973 was expect everyone on the road to try to do something seriously stupid to kill you.. It is not quite all that bad except for the occasional idiot that might surprise you when you least expect it..

Edited by 727Sky

Living and driving in Thailand is one of the biggest frustrations .. Narrow two lane roads where if the shoulder is not cracked and full of deep holes the the jungle is hanging over the road making it a one lane. at the best of times two on coming vehicles of the same make might have 6 inches clearance between the side view mirrors.. This time of year is the pot hole growing season which does not help..

No parking place and in many cases no should to park on so many just stop driving.. That really is a problem on a two lane street and a delivery truck decides to stop and off load.

One thing told to me back in 1973 was expect everyone on the road to try to do something seriously stupid to kill you.. It is not quite all that bad except for the occasional idiot that might surprise you when you least expect it..

They will simply 'never learn their lesson' this driver, like 95% of them, has absolutely no idea that he / she is doing anything wrong or dangerous, the only thing in their mind is themselves and the fact they they need to go from A to B.

The total disregard for others on the road extends to most things, it seems that the word selfish was invented for here!

Education won't change this I'm afraid.

Edited by Mattd

By the way the driver is keeping to the right side of the outside lane, he's obviously aware of the situation.  He's a ****in idiot!  People like that seem to get away with it, but are the cause of the majority of the road carnage statistics.

The transport police will be out in force shortly, showing-off their new cars.  But, I doubt much will change overall; it'll be business as usual.

I have allways found it difficult to understand the huge contradictions in this Buddist country where the great Budda gave away all material things to reflect on the true meaning and perhaps meaningless of life. Yet people demonstrate greed for the material things to improve their lives and then show no regard whatsoever for themselves safety or others or others. I can only try to understand this beautiful addictive country. 

I dont want to come across as trying to defend this, because there is no defence, but there is no need for all the Thai-bashers to lay in on this, and all the things being done daily on Thai roads.  It is not a matter of Thais being stupid or ignorant or selfish - and those continually promoting those views on TV are IMO racist bigots.  There are stupid and ignorant and selfish things done on all roads in all countries, but in Thailand it is far more prevalent than in any western country.  And the reason for that is very clear - and it aint racist bigotry reasons - it is lack of education/training and a total lack of policing. Stop bashing the Thais guys - they are 'given' licences and get no training and there is no policing - that is where the problem starts and ends.  I have seen worse in Australia - once - 15 years ago.

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

THEY Just don't have ANY Respect for other road users.....Afterall THEY DO Own the roads !!

That's what my wife says,...they think that there father build the road for them selves !!!

Update - just returned from bank, Tesco and fresh market.  White knuckles subsiding I remember these events:

2 old women barely able to keep bicycles in forward motion riding on wrong side of Soi

1 motor taxi weaving through traffic on a high pedestrian soi where, of course, badly parked cars are as much a hazard as those driving.

A salang being driven by "mom" who turned directly in front of an oncoming pick up truck at speed.  And with 3 kids in school uniforms as passengers.  

And the best part..., I get stopped THREE times by 3 different police officers at the SAME intersection..., because the Baht lights go on before they realize I've been by before.  The good news..., only 1 asked to see my DL.

It will never change.  

10 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

I have allways found it difficult to understand the huge contradictions in this Buddist country where the great Budda gave away all material things to reflect on the true meaning and perhaps meaningless of life. Yet people demonstrate greed for the material things to improve their lives and then show no regard whatsoever for themselves safety or others or others. I can only try to understand this beautiful addictive country. 

You could extrapolate this thoughts to Christian country's too !!! in fact to every religious country !!!

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

. . . . thailand seems to have a very high saturation per capita % of it kina like the world capitol or mecca of it

Brilliantly put, my friend

5 hours ago, SkyNets said:

When they have to take a real test.

No.... When Police here actually enforce the traffic laws. The only thing they do is set up check points but they never pull anyone over for a moving violation. 

As long as you wear your seat belt and dont' talk on the phone when you're going through a police checkpoint, you can do the whatever the F*** you want on thai roads. ENJOY

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

No policing on roads.

No fine of any serious value.

No care about others safety.

No lessons on safety.

No "Nothing".

And that why some like driving here (me !) .

I deplore all the car cams and the new 80 km/h camera warning signs . It limits my freedom .

In a word, NEVER! I do not think they have the capacity to chew gum and walk at the same time! I have seen some of the most stupidest things  in the world on Thai roads. these people are in capable of learning how to drive safely, the country does not teach them or test them they just get into a car and drive off.you have to be 100 percent aware of ALL drivers near you or behind you when you drive. 

1 hour ago, 727Sky said:

And you're still living . . . who is this guy? I was thinking of doing the Lottery this week.

Australia is no different in Road Rage although here I believe guns may be used at times.

To my mind the penalties need to be increased substantially, the Police need to be properly trained and resourced which they are not.  The fines could certainly pay for this.  I believe they should be looking at crushing cars for repeat offenders.

I do not see respect for themselves, other road users or the Police by a lot of Thai drivers.  Many seem to be bullies by following to close to get you to move out of the way, the speed limit seems non-existent.

Thais are not stupid as a lot of people state, it is within their culture to use the roads as they do and it will be a big problem to fix and will not happen overnight.

Holding Road blocks for what purpose is beyond me although I got a fine for not filling in the log book when I had red plates, not sure how many fatalities that stopped.

Also pay the police a decent wage and if they break the law, such as riding with no helmet as many do they lose their jobs.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I think that most of us know what rhetorical means.....?

Rhetorically speaking, I'll bet you are wrong.  The silly things people post and ask on here and I am not talking about Google spelling over-rides.

Edited by The Deerhunter

SIMPLE: IN FARLANG COUNTRIES A ROAD PATROL WOULD PULL THIS DRIVER OVER AND GIVE HIM/HER A HUGE FINE FOR HIS STUPIDITY. Oh no not here no coppers to be seen with speed radar and basic get off your arse and patrol the streets in their area. Too busy watching football or kick boxing. Go Thailand No 2 road deaths.Me think No. 1 as no law on the roads. They just only appear after a fatality.

Aside from that my Thai wife recently, who now lives with me in Australia, called her father in Buri Ram. He got a fine of 400 Bah for driving without a license, aside from that he's a drunk. He went to the cop station to pay the fine or argue down the fine. Guess what they said when the coppers in the station realised his father in law, my wife's grandfather was recognised at the address and very popular. "Oh do not pay but keep the ticket in case you get pulled over again". This also reflects the slack accountability of issuing tickets to match payments made for the fine! LMAO What a system?

1 hour ago, smudger1951 said:

i think taking gifts to the Wat exonerates their actions, maybe same as confessional