How to mail a PC from Germany to Thailand?

pinkthai

Hi, it might be the wrong forum but I think some of you might have a few shipping experience with electronic devices. I am in Thailand and I would like to mail me my used old PC (barebone from 2006) from Germany with DHL. So far so good.

Is this allowed? Are there some duty or import taxes that I have to pay? Have I mark the packet with "used device" btw you can see that.  Whats the best way to do that? 

Thank you very much

You need to declare it as a "Desktop Computer - Used" because that will not attract any duty. Only 7% VAT on the declared CIF value.

Don't say "Used Device" because there is no tariff code for that so will likely cause a hold-up. 

Give it a realistic value, not a ridiculously low value. 

With DHL (or any other courier in Thailand) make sure there are no other dutiable items in the same shipment because you will be charged the highest applicable duty rate on the entire shipment. You can include other zero duty items e.g. computer parts.

On top of the 7% VAT, DHL will charge you a small clearance fee (from memory THB200 or so).

N.B. I would have thought that the DHL shipping costs would exceed the value of an old PC but guess you must have your reasons.

20 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Better don't use DHL , your Pc will arrive broken , and they will pay no compensation ...

Maybe worth sending by Post Office EMS service.

I don't know about the German side, but my experience with the Thai Post Office, with EMS, is excellent.

Get the hard disk sent over; all the rest ist electronically speaking medieval ......... The hard disk, properly parked prior to removal from CPU und properly packed in bubble wrap; get a buddy to handcarry it over in his luggage and buy him dinner. Cheaper, more fun and works guaranteed - all the rest ist trial-and-error.

In closing, use anyone but DHL; seriously. Normal airmail is faster - me thinks!