Paetongtarn breaks silence after Yingluck’s sentence

snoop1130

Paetongtarn breaks silence after Yingluck’s sentence

By The Nation

eb488a576ca33afea84e017f987d73a7.jpeg

A member of the Shinawatra clan on Thursday broke her silence via an Instagram message, saying: “If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth – politics.”

It is the first comment from Paetongtarn Shinawatra, the youngest daughter of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, since her aunt, ex-PM Yingluck, was sentenced to five-years imprisonment on Wednesday for neglecting the operation of her government’s rice-pledging scheme.

The ruling was rescheduled from August 25, when Yingluck dramatically fled the country after two years of constant court battles.

The Shinawatras have remained low-profile since then, only posting a few messages and photos of Thaksin, Paetongtarn, Pintongta with her husband and twin daughters in London.

It is believed Yingluck is in Dubai as PM Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha claimed that he had been informed by the Foreign Ministry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327956

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-28

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, halloween said:

She has said her aunt is innocent quite a few times.

And the government has stated from day1 that her aunt is guilty quite a few times too.

In thailand guilt and innocence does not translate into being right or wrong. You can be guilty..but still be right. 

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

And the government has stated from day1 that her aunt is guilty quite a few times too.

In thailand guilt and innocence does not translate into being right or wrong. You can be guilty..but still be right. 

Sure 'it was an honest mistake, I didn't read the law because nobody does, so it's not fair'.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth – politics.”

and if you quote something without attributing a source you are pretending to be smart.

In this case the source is Lenin and Goebbels, but I'm sure she has no clue

13 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

and if you quote something without attributing a source you are pretending to be smart.

Or maybe drawing a parallel with Prayut to Lenin and Goebbels? 

Yingluck is hunkered down somewhere in London -- right now -- working on her "Political Asylum Papers." Stay tuned for the seemingly never ending saga of "Where's Waldo!" Only in this case it is "Where's Yingluck."

Edited by 321Rich
correct english

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

She'd probably think Goebbels is a new fashion brand that outshines Dolce & Gabbana.

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

That's an interesting concept. Do you believe that after removing Boonsong for creating fraudulent G2G deals, she was right in not stopping those deals? The court calls it negligence, but given the involvement of Apichart, favoured rice trader of Thaksin and Yingluk despite a history of failed companies and huge government debts, it smells a lot like corruption to me.

33 minutes ago, halloween said:

That's an interesting concept. Do you believe that after removing Boonsong for creating fraudulent G2G deals, she was right in not stopping those deals? The court calls it negligence, but given the involvement of Apichart, favoured rice trader of Thaksin and Yingluk despite a history of failed companies and huge government debts, it smells a lot like corruption to me.

Well shouldn't the heads of dsi and oag be in the courts also. 

After all they investigated it. 

They knew about it. 

They did not and still have not done anything to prosecute all those involved. 

If they want to prosecute her for knowing about and not stopping it, 

Then they must prosecute the people that informed her, knew about it and failed to stop it. 

All guilty 157.

6 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Well shouldn't the heads of dsi and oag be in the courts also. 

After all they investigated it. 

They knew about it. 

They did not and still have not done anything to prosecute all those involved. 

If they want to prosecute her for knowing about and not stopping it, 

Then they must prosecute the people that informed her, knew about it and failed to stop it. 

All guilty 157.

BS. "They did not and still have not done anything to prosecute all those involved." Tell that to Yingluk, Boonsong, Apichart and all the others convicted and sitting in a cell right now.  Do you think denigrating those who are doing their job somehow absolves the person who didn't?

47 minutes ago, halloween said:

Interesting to me that she removed Boonsong from his post of Ministry of Commerce and the court still convict her for not stopping the corruption. Can't help thinking about Chuan and Ahbisit non action to remove Suthep when he was charged for those criminal scandals. Well at least in Yingluck case, one judge said she was not guilty and in a jury system there will be no conviction. But this is Thailand. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Interesting to me that she removed Boonsong from his post of Ministry of Commerce and the court still convict her for not stopping the corruption. Can't help thinking about Chuan and Ahbisit non action to remove Suthep when he was charged for those criminal scandals. Well at least in Yingluck case, one judge said she was not guilty and in a jury system there will be no conviction. But this is Thailand. 

More obfuscation (and brown-nosing) Eric? Removing Boonsong didn't stop the ongoing deals, did it? It didn't stop her favourite dodgy rice dealer from filling his pockets, and if he ever decides to talk about who he was paying kickbacks to, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

Supreme Court does not involve juries, and an 8-1 decision leaves little doubt of guilt

22 minutes ago, halloween said:

More obfuscation (and brown-nosing) Eric? Removing Boonsong didn't stop the ongoing deals, did it? It didn't stop her favourite dodgy rice dealer from filling his pockets, and if he ever decides to talk about who he was paying kickbacks to, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

Supreme Court does not involve juries, and an 8-1 decision leaves little doubt of guilt

He got 42 years too much. How many years you think Suthep deserved if he ever get prosecuted which is a pipe dream.  Different folk different stroke.  

48 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He got 42 years too much. How many years you think Suthep deserved if he ever get prosecuted which is a pipe dream.  Different folk different stroke.  

Diversions again Eric, But but but Suthep.

So what sentenced do you think the disgraced former commerce minister, protege of the large Shin sister, and convicted fraudster should have received?

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

You have no idea how a jury would have voted, and no one else does. Just an opinion. Mine is a jury, based on the evidence, would have convicted her.

The Shin clan are relying on peer pressure keeping the jailed minion quiet. Now, if he does spill the beans.................

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Absolutely, But corruption in Thailand is as endemic as ice in your beer, its the proverbial grease that makes the cogs of power turn.  Remove the ice and the beer becomes unpalatable and flat, remove corruption and things will grind to a halt. That is just the way it works. 

The aim was to raise the living standards of the poor, those who have been overlooked for so many years by the ruling classes - lest we forget they too have been happily skimming from the top for many, many decades without any moral qualms whatsoever over the  guilt or innocence of their actions, cause that' show it works here. - in itself she was right to pursue that policy which was effectively a large agricultural subsidy. The principle was subsiding the cost of the rice so farmers got a better price. Certainly not unique and a well proven way to rack up huge losses to the taxpayer. In the EU, CAP accounts for somewhere in the region of 30% of the entire annual EU budget. UK farms get somewhere like $300 per hectare for cultivated land. Agricultural subsidies are a great way to lose money...but they keep farmers viable and happy(ish).

Yinglucks downfall, imo, was she also wasn't experienced enough to be PM - before she was PM she was a complete political novice with no experience whatsoever - kinda like Trump. As such she was entirely dependent on those around her for advice and support and when all and sundry jumped on the bandwagon to get their nose in the trough of corruption, well that was her undoing coupled with the establishments dislike of those pesky outsiders taking a bigger slice of the corruption pie than they were able to.

In 5, 10,  15 years down the line it will be a new name..more corruption from a failed subsidy policy and the same old machinations. 

Anyway, I'm off to put some ice in my beer now. Enjoy.   

46 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You have no idea how a jury would have voted, and no one else does. Just an opinion. Mine is a jury, based on the evidence, would have convicted her.

The Shin clan are relying on peer pressure keeping the jailed minion quiet. Now, if he does spill the beans.................

Bad to differ. The only charge was the connection to the G2G case. All other charges were dropped. Do not wish to be cited for court contempt but this is Thailand where ministers and senior government servants are consistently corruptly benefit themselves. Have there been any precedent of a similar charge and conviction? 

3 hours ago, halloween said:

If you intend to jail every corrupt Thai politician / cop  / government official  there would be none left.

Yingluck's prosecution is nothing more than a political witch hunt.    The government which was not elected  has to make sure that no Shinawatra is ever elected again.

16 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

If you intend to jail every corrupt Thai politician / cop  / government official  there would be none left.

Yingluck's prosecution is nothing more than a political witch hunt.    The government which was not elected  has to make sure that no Shinawatra is ever elected again.

IMHO not having any corrupt Thai politician / cop  / government official left would be a great idea. To do that you would have to make sure that no Shinawatra is ever elected again.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

Can you name a politician who is not and was not corrupt or corruptible? 

41 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Absolutely, But corruption in Thailand is as endemic as ice in your beer, its the proverbial grease that makes the cogs of power turn.  Remove the ice and the beer becomes unpalatable and flat, remove corruption and things will grind to a halt. That is just the way it works. 

The aim was to raise the living standards of the poor, those who have been overlooked for so many years by the ruling classes - lest we forget they too have been happily skimming from the top for many, many decades without any moral qualms whatsoever over the  guilt or innocence of their actions, cause that' show it works here. - in itself she was right to pursue that policy which was effectively a large agricultural subsidy. The principle was subsiding the cost of the rice so farmers got a better price. Certainly not unique and a well proven way to rack up huge losses to the taxpayer. In the EU, CAP accounts for somewhere in the region of 30% of the entire annual EU budget. UK farms get somewhere like $300 per hectare for cultivated land. Agricultural subsidies are a great way to lose money...but they keep farmers viable and happy(ish).

Yinglucks downfall, imo, was she also wasn't experienced enough to be PM - before she was PM she was a complete political novice with no experience whatsoever - kinda like Trump. As such she was entirely dependent on those around her for advice and support and when all and sundry jumped on the bandwagon to get their nose in the trough of corruption, well that was her undoing coupled with the establishments dislike of those pesky outsiders taking a bigger slice of the corruption pie than they were able to.

In 5, 10,  15 years down the line it will be a new name..more corruption from a failed subsidy policy and the same old machinations. 

Anyway, I'm off to put some ice in my beer now. Enjoy.   

Let me correct you. The STATED aim was to help the poorest farmers, but it did no such thing. The poorest farmers EAT the rice they grow. Less poor farmers suffered from the lack of a rent freeze and price increases which nullified any gain they may have made. OTOH the lack of input limits meant that those wealthy farmers with large farms got most of the small percentage that went to actual farmers.

I don't care what they di in the EU, this was an electoral bribe and a scam in Thailand.

Yingluk was a puppet fro a criminal. Tell me why I should have sympathy for someone whose purpose is to enable crime to flourish?

Enjoy your beer.