Police chief shows off his new "bargain" toy as 150,000 guns set to flood Thailand

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

About the only people I trust with any kind of firearm are well trained British soldiers.

I Certainly wouldn't trust all those  ex-SAS, Para's that crowd the beer bars in Pattaya, who don't even know where Aldershot is.

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

2pm.jpg.3d63c0088e87ac0124d7c2ee4e8943a8.jpg.2894a3e8d7b7f3b3da122c14e3abe678.jpg

My instructor would have slapped his swollen, entitled head for pointing the gun at the ladies, loaded or not.

You may well be right but on a two dimension photo how do you know for certain where it is pointing?  The shoulders all show all girls stacked behind him and each other. Therefore they are POSSIBLY all behind him.  And the photographer could have asked them to move in a bit after they had carefully posed. Let''s not jump to conclusions.

8 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

probably a bargain because

"In late July 2017, the Dallas Police Department instructed all personnel to stop carrying the P320 pending an investigation. There are concerns that the firearm may discharge when it is dropped and the back of the slide hits the ground at about a 30-degree angle. .....  Internet publications, such as TheTruthAboutGuns.com, conducted independent tests that appear to confirm potential drop firings (at a 40% rate).[Another test has shown that the P320 may discharge when the magazine hits the ground first after the gun is dropped. On 8 August 2017, Sig Sauer issued a notice that they would upgrade all P320s to address the issue."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P320#Reviews

Though it makes a good excuse for shooting someone. "i didn't mean to shoot him, i just dropped the gun!"

I don't suppose they will ever be cleaned or oiled, so by the end of the first rainy season they probably won't work anyway.....

8 hours ago, jonclark said:

So whats going to happen to all the old guns the police currently waddle around with strapped to their waists. 

Recalled and destroyed or just left at the home of the current owner. Serious questions as all of a sudden that is a lot more guns in circulation on the basis of - well he's a policeman so it okay. 

Not a hope of them being left in the house when they get their new guns, these will all find themselves being sold off to the highest bidder and on the streets. At the right price, they can put me down for a couple more to add to the 2 that we already have in the house, fully legit and licensed of course but, to buy from the gun stores is/was expensive. They go for anything from 70,000 baht for a ‘new’ gun - new model for Thailand anyway and almost the same price for a 2nd hand weapon, so, at the right price and subject to them being checked over, holding the right licenses, the 2nd hand weapons would be a good easy to buy.

Looks like a pretty good deal for your average policeman. THB 23,890 for pistol, two 17-rd mags, a kydex holster and an uplula-type loader. And not having to press the trigger to field strip - great safety feature. Of course if the weapon fires when dropped at certain angles on a hard surface that's not good. In mitigation it passed all the mandated drop tests but then - like vehicle emissions testing - they can be gamed to pass. There would seem to be a problem with the design because SIG "has temporarily suspended shipment of the P320 from the factory while we ramp up to implement the changes" to remedy the issue. "This will include an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector."

However the US mil-spec version isn't affected because it has a manual safety and - from the description of the 320SP coming to Thailand (see pic below) - it looks like this model also has the manual safety.

59ce28dd5e16e_ScreenShot2017-09-29at17_43_26.jpg.6848a3a5f6d168d53746b5954f6d98dd.jpg

I've read that the 'SP' designator actually reflects the initials of former police chief Somyot Phumpanmuang, one of the architects of the 320 contract when signed back in 2015. 

Boys and their toys! No high order critical thinking involved. :sad:

Once a 'keystone cop' always a 'keystone cop'! Just a powerplay with no idea how to properly enforce the country's laws!

I am important because I have big gun! Still cannot get past Thai 1.0 despite what they claim. Sad really. Little fish sinking to the bottom of the pond and not knowing it.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You may well be right but on a two dimension photo how do you know for certain where it is pointing?  The shoulders all show all girls stacked behind him and each other. Therefore they are POSSIBLY all behind him.  And the photographer could have asked them to move in a bit after they had carefully posed. Let''s not jump to conclusions.

gun should be pointed in the air, or to the ground - loaded, or not. There is no jumping to conclusions.

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Each policeman will still need to buy their own ,,,,, say 40,000 each

Yes they are not issueing them they had to purchase it cost us 28,000b 3 years ago we waited that long we asked for the money back thats why I said someone done very well out of the deal ! 1500 ordered and paid for 3 years ago hmmm nice bit of interest and a bonus if now there only 23,000 b

Can I get you 1,000 tanks to go along with your order sir? You know here in America everything started to go so smoothly once our police forces begins to militarize. No more fussing with grumpy civilians, show 'em who's boss, boss! Why, with a tank force at your disposal, those traffic ticket fees will be goin like hotcakes! Every traffic ticket roadblock needs a tank to go with all those machine guns! So, why not make Thailand's police the most powerfull police force in all of southeast asia tommorrow with your order today! At Tanks 'n Guns evrybody's a 5 star general, why not bring the whole whole family! Come on down!

15 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Issued thats funny we had to purchase it ! and as for arriving now that was meant to happen 3 years ago when we paid for it ! Hmmm we were charged 28,000 funny he now states 23,000 seems someone done alright out of the deal ! and 150,000 pieces Hmmmm 

10 hours ago, natway09 said:

Each policeman will still need to buy their own ,,,,, say 40,000 each

Seems they already did...

11 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

gun should be pointed in the air, or to the ground - loaded, or not. There is no jumping to conclusions.

Sorry. No.  The gun should be pointed in any direction where death or injury is most unlikely to occur in event of a discharge. That is one of the trick questions in my country fire arm licence test.  What about the person sitting at their desk uptairs.  To quote Simon & Garfunkel,  "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."

On 9/29/2017 at 8:53 AM, webfact said:

National police chief Jakthip Chaijinda was pictured holding a new US gun that is set to become standard for police in Thailand.

The Sig Sauer P320SP

Sig Sauer is a joint Swiss-German company. the U.S. company SIGARMS is an importer and distributor of Sig Sauer firearms.