Two years on, ‘no chair Wednesday’ debate rages on

Rimmer

Two years on, ‘no chair Wednesday’ debate rages on

image.png

Nearly two years after beach chairs and umbrellas were banned from Pattaya beaches once a week, the debate rages on whether “no chair Wednesdays” is good for the economy.

Displaced vendors and beachgoers were discussing the state of affairs on central Pattaya Beach Sept. 20, a Wednesday on which sellers had little to do.

Vendors complained they’re already suffering from slow times and that they make no money on Wednesdays at all.

The government instituted its chair-free policy in late 2015 as part of its campaign to restore the country’s beaches to the public. The once-a-week prohibition on chairs and umbrellas was a concession by the junta, which had banned chairs permanently from Phuket and other beaches.

Pattaya’s officials, at the time, told beach vendors they should be relieved they could continue working on the beach at all. But two years later, the vendors seem to have forgotten their lucky escape.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/two-years-no-chair-wednesday-debate-rages-187425

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-09-29

They stopped chair service on Wednesdays, they limited chair areas to the point vendors have half of the chairs they had in the past at Jomtien and now they will not even be allowed to sell beer. How are these poor people supposed to make a living ?  Seeing chairs and umbrellas piled up on Wednesdays is not exactly a great sight either...really stupid rules !

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Completely useless effort.

And now banning alcohol sale on the beach from October.

Great.

Interestingly, yesterday I saw an advertising hoarding for "Oktoberfest on the Beach". Oktoberfest with no beer? I rather doubt it. 

2 hours ago, champers said:

Interestingly, yesterday I saw an advertising hoarding for "Oktoberfest on the Beach". Oktoberfest with no beer? I rather doubt it. 

On the beach means on the sand :>)

It refers to the beach deck chair vendors not to the restaurants/shopping centers on beach >>road<<.

This Oktoberfest is an event at the open space near Central.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:16 PM, Emster23 said:

Pattaya government seems heck bent on putting beach vendors out of business. Perhaps a more reasonable approach might be to limit each site to 12 seats and umbrellas, and adding more if more customers show up.

Yes, I just don't see the point in the empty chair thing. 

Fair enough if they are full. 

On 9/29/2017 at 12:32 PM, champers said:

Yes, they should be lucky to make a  living. Go 40 Kilometers up the road to Bang Saen and there is no ban. The ban in Pattaya defies all logic.

But who wants to go bang saen....there is <deleted> all to do and no deck chairs!

7 hours ago, The manic said:

But who wants to go bang saen....there is <deleted> all to do and no deck chairs!

Plenty of deckchairs in Bangsaen. Plenty of bars at night. Big Leo 90 Baht. The place is thronged with students and there are plenty of visitors on weekends.