Rain, rain and more rain - Bangkok and Pattaya brace for heavy downpours

rooster59

Rain, rain and more rain - Bangkok and Pattaya brace for heavy downpours

799527.jpg

Image: Voice TV

The Thai weather men announced that Bangkok and Pattaya  would experience heavy rains over the next 24 hours.

The Meteorology Office warned that the Central Region, Eastern Seaboard and lower Isaan areas would be seriously affected.

There would be a 70% chance of rain in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

In addition Voice TV said that there would be a swell of 2 meters in the Andaman Sea.

Source: Voice TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-30

Somewhat contradictory, first it says " The Thai weather men announced that Bangkok and Pattaya would experience heavy rains over the next 24 hours." then it goes on to say "There would be a 70% chance of rain in Bangkok and surrounding provinces."

Hedging their bets a bit there. So there is a 30% chance we won't get rain :shock1:

Well here in Uttaradit we had a whooper of a storm this morning, it even made the house shake with the thunder. The electric was out from about 8:30am and only was restored at 3pm. Nothing better than having to take a bucket shower because the water pump was off to wake you up in the morning.

6 minutes ago, Guy360 said:

Al Gore is the one reporting the weather.  Most weather reporters can look outside and can't tell you what the weather is, let alone forecast it for the future.

Al Gore sees the rain and gets so angry because, you know, global warming....oops, climate change.

There are more variables involved in forecasting tomorrow's weather than in forecasting next year's or 20 years down the track. Which means that tomorrow's forecast has a greater chance of being inaccurate than next year's. Which makes Gore's life easier than he deserves ...

Edited by mfd101

It was extremely bad last night in South Pattaya. The baht bus going to Jomtien was more like a BOAT than a bus. I was surprised it made it through at all. The water was starting to enter a few blocks of businesses as the bus passed. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, monspencer said:

Somewhat contradictory, first it says " The Thai weather men announced that Bangkok and Pattaya would experience heavy rains over the next 24 hours." then it goes on to say "There would be a 70% chance of rain in Bangkok and surrounding provinces."

Hedging their bets a bit there. So there is a 30% chance we won't get rain :shock1:

Common misunderstanding about that.  https://www.weather.gov/ffc/pop

It means, there is a 70% chance that a given person in Bangkok will get rain, but probably a very high chance that many people in Bangkok will get rain.  

13 hours ago, JRUSA said:

Rained at my condo this afternoon..

I am around 60 k's west of BKK, rain nearly every night, a little on and off during the days.  Also some extraordinary lightening and thunder shows during the night. The latter is so loud that it shakes the house and starts the dog off, which he does not normally do.  We have been lucky on so far as black outs, only getting them spasmodically, in the early hours of the morning and they last about an hour at the most. :wai:

On 30/09/2017 at 3:43 PM, soistalker said:

I don't know who I'd rather believe, the Thai "weather man" or the tarot card reader at the night market.

I'm going with the tarot guy.

Amazing comment, water to the  mill of the kids from another forum.....