NVIDIA graphics driver???

madmax2

I am running out of storage space on my computer, i have NVIDIA graphics driver and Adobe acrobat reader programs installed, do these programs do the same thing and is it safe to uninstall one to free up computer storage space

Thanks in advance for any replies

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

do these programs do the same thing

Absolutely not.

And do not uninstall the graphics driver. This might end in some miserable default resolution/image.

Uninstalling Adobe Reader will do "no harm", but both uninstallations will do little to ease your problem.

How big is your disk, how much space is left?

If you have Windows installed(?) go through this list:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

Disk Cleanup and reduce WinSxS will likely do much more than uninstalling arbitrary programs.

And of course some smart searches will help too.

Seach for videos, seach for huge files (> 500 MB etc.).

Don't move or delete files that you don't know!

OK thanks for the replies but i know stuff all about computers and cannot find anyone to teach me so i am self taught what i know, going to Aussie this month i will get computer books there

If you ever want to know about butchering a sheep. prospecting for gold and gem stones or driving a road train or any other type of heavy equipment or how not to get lost in outback Australia let me know and i can assist you

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Which operating system are you using? Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

windows 10, i much prefered 8 but had to upgrade because some <deleted> sent a email to my son using  my email account asking him to send $20K to hong kong for me

I will keep fiddling around until i fix or <deleted> it 

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

OK thanks for the replies but i know stuff all about computers and cannot find anyone to teach me so i am self taught what i know, going to Aussie this month i will get computer books there

Give it try with the link that I have provided and start just with this "Disk Cleanup" thing.

I think it's explained well enough and might help for a while.

Also easy and well explained is the "Archive or delete things you're no longer using" step. Just that you need to know what you still need or not.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Might take you up on the gold prospecting thing.

To old now mate to go out into the bush in 40C plus heat,never had much luck anyway, only a couple of small nuggets for many days of work, but did find some decent sapphires in Queensland at a township called Rubyvale near emerald , but not in the official amatuer prospecting area, have to cheat a bit to find them

9 hours ago, madmax2 said:

To old now mate to go out into the bush in 40C plus heat,never had much luck anyway, only a couple of small nuggets for many days of work, but did find some decent sapphires in Queensland at a township called Rubyvale near emerald , but not in the official amatuer prospecting area, have to cheat a bit to find them

Didn't mean Oz. but somewhere in South America :smile:

Crap Cleaner is a good place to begin.  Download, save, double click on the downloaded file, install and then open. Then click on the Run Cleaner button and confirm when asked if want to permanently delete.

Though it would help to understand a bit more about your machine. Look here and report back; https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-check-free-space-hard-disk

Bit off topic but like you I am near useless with PC's. A while back my 750GB D drive was near full and l couldn't understand why. So I installed 10 bit advanced system care, in it's tool box it had a program to find and list all big files on the PC. It showed there were a zillion 200MB backup files going back to the year dot. So using the program you can delete what you don't want. It also has a tool to find duplicate files, l cleaned those out too..

Anyhooo, it cleaned about 600GB, so now D is near empty.....thumbs.gif.432257c24b8dfe8bc82c2644a3d15217.gif

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

Crap Cleaner is a good place to begin.  Download, save, double click on the downloaded file, install and then open. Then click on the Run Cleaner button and confirm when asked if want to permanently delete.

I use it all the time, but be very careful what you decide to delete.  It will wipe all kinds of stuff you didn't even realize you had that makes your life a lot easier by remembering passwords, browsing history, etc.

For me, the handiest portion is the Duplicate Finder in the tools section.  I've deleted terabytes of duplicate video and other files.

Lots of useful advice.

Duplicate files, huge unused files etc. pp.

Every PC crash or power outage can leave crap temporary files (which are dealt with by the Disk Cleanup).

My PC is 9 years old, has a 320 GB hard disk in two partitions.

140 GB are free.

OK, I am not a video enthusiast. Photos mainly (about 10000 from 13 years).

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Lots of useful advice.

Duplicate files, huge unused files etc. pp.

Every PC crash or power outage can leave crap temporary files (which are dealt with by the Disk Cleanup).

My PC is 9 years old, has a 320 GB hard disk in two partitions.

140 GB are free.

OK, I am not a video enthusiast. Photos mainly (about 10000 from 13 years).

You'd better have those backed up in at least three different places.

15 hours ago, JamJar said:

You'd better have those backed up in at least three different places.

Backed up on laptop and two external hard disks.

That applies to the complete second "data" partition where other important stuff is.

The data partition is exactly mirrored on the laptop every other day "semiautomatic".

External hard disks "from time to time".

Archived