webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/4/2017 at 7:41 PM, connda said:

The Second Amendment was not written to facilitate game hunting and target practice.  But, I do commend you for exercising your right to bear arms.  

Quite so, it was written so that the colonies would have a "well-regulated militia". At Williamsburg one is told how each male over 16 (if I remember correctly) was required to have a weapon, powder and shot ready if the militia was called upon to provide a defense. Drills of the town's militia were regularly held, which included target practice. And while the 2nd was not passed with the purpose of game hunting, that hunting was understood as a common practice which did not need to be addressed as allowed.

35 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Quite so, it was written so that the colonies would have a "well-regulated militia". At Williamsburg one is told how each male over 16 (if I remember correctly) was required to have a weapon, powder and shot ready if the militia was called upon to provide a defense. Drills of the town's militia were regularly held, which included target practice. And while the 2nd was not passed with the purpose of game hunting, that hunting was understood as a common practice which did not need to be addressed as allowed.

In fact, the Second Amendment was added to reassure Southern States that they would be able to maintain their militias whose purpose was to protect against slave uprisings.  The Southerners had been afraid that the anti-slavery North might eventually cut funding or otherwise disable the militias.

So, yet another legacy of American slavery polluting the body politic.