With No Elections In Sight, Why Is Prayuth Campaigning So Hard?

webfact

With No Elections In Sight, Why Is Prayuth Campaigning So Hard?

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Prayuthhead.jpg

BANGKOK — Setting aside the military uniform he’s worn most of his years, the 63-year-old retired general wrapped a rural-style sash around his waist and stepped behind a mechanized plow for a photo op in a rice field.

It was the second time in two months junta leader-cum-Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha had jumped behind a plow since taking his cabinet meetings on the road once a month to far-flung locations.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/10/04/no-elections-sight-prayuth-campaigning-hard/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-04

Being elected PM thanks to the senate he will appoint himself does not bring much legitimacy. He needs a minimum of popularity in order to be able to claim legitimacy. A few biased surveys will be enough but there are also limits to how much surveys can be credibly biased.

I'm taking another long shot here - after my stellar 'UK' forecast, within 3 days of YL's disappearance. Prayuth, now buoyed by his star showing at the White House and getting a 'better view' of democratic government in action, will bring the election date nearer - early next year, maybe - in order to get more people on his side; those up-country voters who are becoming increasingly tired by his delaying tactics. He now actually believes that he could be a liked, respected and elected Prime Minister, especially if he can be seen to be abandoning all this 'sorting organic issues' crap that P2 keeps going on about.

Early next year . . . mark my words!

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

He possibly fears he will leave a crappy legacy, and he probably will.  All he as done is protect the elite at the expense of the average Thai. 

Not true!

Since this government things go forward in Thailand, traffic solutions, anti graft, doing things for the poor.

Not fast, I agree, but something is going on, not always the solutions I would have chosen, but things are starting up.

And that is much more as the Thaksin governments before which were only busy building a family run country, enriching themselves & cronies.

I am not a fan of military takeover, nor am I a fan of government using the people to build a kind if Suharto-Marcos like empire.

The military in Indonesia control everything, just like the police in Phillipines.

I do think the government in Thailand is quite beneficial for the country.

Besides, democracy is rather overrated.

Just now, hansnl said:

Besides, democracy is rather overrated.

Tell that to the :

1. Japanese

2. Taiwanese

3. South Koreans

4. Scots

5. Catalonia residents

6. The US

Nobody forced the people of Thailand to elect the Shinawartes.   They outsmarted and worked harder than the dimwitted elites.  Love them or hate them the Shinawartes are hard workers.

The traffic in Bangkok is still awful.  It is just a different set of noses in the trough.  Corruption has not changed. 

17 hours ago, hansnl said:

democracy is rather overrated.

But still the prevalent system of government in the world.

There are currently 123 [as of 2013 and adjusted to 122 for the loss of Thailand in 2014] democracies in the world of all 192 countries. http://www.borgenmagazine.com/many-democratic-nations/

According to Democracy Index published by the Economic Intelligence Unit for 2015:

• A full democracy: 8.9% of world population*
  • A flawed democracy: 39.5% of world population
  • A hybrid regime: 17.5% of world population
  • An authoritarian regime: 34.1% of world population

https://www.angloinfo.com/blogs/global/angloinfo-world-expat-life/20-most-democratic-countries-in-the-world-do-you-live-there/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/971646-thailand’s-democracy-index-ranking-continues-to-slide-downward/

Typically it is authoritarian governments that claim democracy is overrated. That conclusion seems more as a matter of self-preservation than meaningful contrast.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, Ossy said:

I'm taking another long shot here - after my stellar 'UK' forecast, within 3 days of YL's disappearance. Prayuth, now buoyed by his star showing at the White House and getting a 'better view' of democratic government in action, will bring the election date nearer - early next year, maybe - in order to get more people on his side; those up-country voters who are becoming increasingly tired by his delaying tactics. He now actually believes that he could be a liked, respected and elected Prime Minister, especially if he can be seen to be abandoning all this 'sorting organic issues' crap that P2 keeps going on about.

Early next year . . . mark my words!

The new dates in now. 

May 2019. 

At the latest of course. 

????