What variety is white rice sold in supermarkets?

edwardandtubs

18 minutes ago, BadCash said:

This sounds implausible - I would be very surprised if a commercial retail packaged plastic bag of rice in Tesco contains 65% "old" rice! 

Sounds more plausible that it would be the percentage of broken rice. I did some more googling and found that mills indeed seem to usually specify the quality of the rice as a percentage of broken rice, ex. http://www.parboilrice.com/whiterice35broken.html

Never seen this where I'm from though... maybe that rice is so broken it's better not to print it on the package ?

It may sound implausible but that is the word from a  lady that was brought up on a rice farm and has worked in restaurants for years..  I suggest you ask other Thai people who know about rice.. good luck..

On 10/6/2017 at 5:16 PM, Laza 45 said:

...if you want healthy rice with low glycemic index eat 'khao gkong'... brown rice..  'homme mali khao gkong'... brown jasmine.. healthy, smells great.. delicious.. healthy.. but many more varieties available.. most supermarkets have them.. I buy mine at the morning market in our town.. 

I'd be careful about the brown jasmine rice thing as regards glycemic index.

From the research I've read, brown jasmine rice has almost as high a GI level as regular jasmine rice, and regular jasmine rice is just about as high a GI rating as you can get with rice (which is bad of course).

For whatever reasons, it's very different from the differences in the west between regular and brown rice, where regular rice has a moderate GI level but regular brown rice tends to have a pretty low GI level. Unfortunately, brown jasmine rice is an entirely different matter.

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd be careful about the brown jasmine rice thing as regards glycemic index.

From the research I've read, brown jasmine rice has almost as high a GI level as regular jasmine rice, and regular jasmine rice is just about as high a GI rating as you can get with rice (which is bad of course).

For whatever reasons, it's very different from the differences in the west between regular and brown rice, where regular rice has a moderate GI level but regular brown rice tends to have a pretty low GI level. Unfortunately, brown jasmine rice is an entirely different matter.

Can you give me a link to this information on GI got brown jasmine rice, please..?

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

It may sound implausible but that is the word from a  lady that was brought up on a rice farm and has worked in restaurants for years..  I suggest you ask other Thai people who know about rice.. good luck..

It's official - 35% rice contains not more than 35% of broken grains (plus a few other things that are not whole rice grains).

http://documents.wfp.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/manual_guide_proced/wfp242953.pdf

Just to muddy the waters a little, 'new rice' - that is less than a few months old - even if best quality, is not desired by the Thais as it cooks up as sticky rice. We still have two sacks from last year's harvest and prefer to eat that. The wife says this is true up to three or four years, and  (quote) 'Farangs don't know nothing'.