18 brands of chocolate products on sale in markets tainted with lead and cadmium

webfact

18 brands of chocolate products on sale in markets tainted with lead and cadmium

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

FFC_chocolate4oct17.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Eighteen brands of dark chocolate and other chocolate products on sale in supermarkets in Thailand were found to be tainted with lead and cadmium although the amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards, said Ms Saree Ongsomwang, secretary of the Foundation for Consumers, on Wednesday.

The above results came from laboratory tests conducted by the testing centre of Chalard Sue magazine of the Foundation for Consumers of random samples of 10 brands of dark chocolate products and nine brands of other chocolate products collected during August-September.

The ten brands of dark chocolate products which were tested with cadmium substance include Lotte Ghana Black Chocolate Extra Cocoa, Beryl’s Almond, United Almond White & Dark Chocolate, Lotte Ghana Extra Cacoa Black, Morinaga Dars Dark Chocolate, Nestle Kitkat Chocolate, Noble Time, Ferrero Rocher Chocolate mixed with Hazelnut; TwinChoc Heart and Her’s Way Dairy Milk.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/18-brands-chocolate-products-sale-markets-tainted-lead-cadmium/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-04

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, webfact said:

the amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards

So if the chocolates are within the set (EU) health standards then what is the point.

To quote:

"Since there is no set standard for chocolate products in Thailand, she suggested that Thailand adopts the standard of the EU regarding cadmium which will come into force in the next two years".

So if Thailand has no standards for chocolate what is she implying apart from muddying the names of respected manufacturers? Anyway they will adopt the EU standards in two years time. Can't rush these things! Thai bureaucracy at it's finest. 

12 minutes ago, tokyoblond said:

Did I miss something here? The "amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards". Doesn't that mean that there is no story?

The probably mean within the Thai standards...but it shouldn't be in chocolate at all me thinks...

Luckily we only eat the cheapest chocolate and that wasn't in the list....it's from IKEA.

From health.com

The National Confectioners Association told CNN that "Some minerals—like cadmium and lead—are found naturally in many foods, including seafood, peanuts, potatoes, grains, leafy vegetables and—sometimes—cocoa beans. Cocoa-based foods are consumed in small amounts and are not a major source of these minerals in the diet."

And from Hershey (sorry - can't stand their chocolate!) "All foods that are grown in nature contain small amounts of elements/minerals, such as cadmium and lead, which occur naturally in all soils because they are found in the Earth’s crust.”

In other words, this is a non-story.

Edited by tokyoblond
formatting was strike through

Cadmium and lead, no wonder chocolate is so expensive here,

which is a good thing for me,as if the price was reasonable I

would eat too much, the only reason that names of the products

were published was because none are ThaI.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I wonder if the chocolate manufacturers will launch multiple criminal defamation suits as they believe the speaker in the OP has caused damage to their reputation that resulted in a loss of profit?

I certainly hope so, bash them with their own crazy laws.

2 hours ago, Lingba said:

The fact that toxic anything is even allowed regardless of the level is ridiculous

That are the EU-rules. They are not set to protect the consumers, only to protect the producers.