Reminder: Alcohol sales banned on October 5th

Jonathan Fairfield

Reminder: Alcohol sales banned on October 5th

22221633_1984461355158659_4581799589984235378_n.jpg

Alcohol sales will be banned nationwide in Thailand on October 5th, as required by law to mark Wan Org Pansa, the end of Buddhist lent.

The penalty for selling alcohol on a banned day is up to six months in prison, a fine of up to B10,000, or both, under Section 39 of the Alcohol Control Act.

Throughout October there are likely to be other days where the sale of alcohol is not permitted.

Thaivisa will keep you informed on these dates once we receive official confirmation from the authorities.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-04

18 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Except all military officers mess' and RTP watering holes.

And mom and pop shops, bars that turn off the lights and put styrofoam covers on the beers, half of Pattaya, a few islands, and select Thai bars that simply are above the law.

Everywhere else will be dry.

Always amazed how wound up people get about this- it's no hardship whatsoever to get around it. Consumption is NOT illegal.

As for people whinging about the end of the month how dare such an 'inconsiderate' event be taking place eh! I guess it is happening just to spite you.

15 hours ago, dcnx said:

And mom and pop shops, bars that turn off the lights and put styrofoam covers on the beers, half of Pattaya, a few islands, and select Thai bars that simply are above the law.

Everywhere else will be dry.

How do you know that you talk only of Pattaya.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

In Hua Hin I heard rumors that the bars will be closed for nine days in late October.

That sounds like the death knell for a large sector of the tourist industry!

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Always amazed how wound up people get about this- it's no hardship whatsoever to get around it. Consumption is NOT illegal.

Tourists from the USA, UK, France, Russia, Germany, etc...They do not know.

They rent a villa in Phuket etc for a week.

OOPS! Thailand has a bazillion tourists, but they kinda have a bit of a party pooper that week. 

Genius!

Expats see it coming. Tourists do not. Tourists do not know how to find the Mom & Pop shops.

Laying off the sauce is no biggie, unless it gets PROHIBITED.

Then I'll find booze just to spite the powers that be.

Edited by jaywalker

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you joking here ?

No, I was told that by two different bar owners in Hua Hin. But it is just a rumor. When I pressed them they said "Not sure". Could be something the local government is floating.

The end of lent.

Somchai & many others have been ever so good & given alcohol up for lent & now wish to celebrate with a real drink

Amazing Thailand or should I say after 5 years of bars being open on this day the the "alcohol lobby"

has convinced the Junta to go back to their archaic ways again

you can't help stupid

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Tourists from the USA, UK, France, Russia, Germany, etc...They do not know.

They rent a villa in Phuket etc for a week.

OOPS! Thailand has a bazillion tourists, but they kinda have a bit of a party pooper that week. 

Genius!

Expats see it coming. Tourists do not. Tourists do not know how to find the Mom & Pop shops.

Laying off the sauce is no biggie, unless it gets PROHIBITED.

Then I'll find booze just to spite the powers that be.

Most tourist dont go on holiday to get blathered and try every bar. I suspect people will get along just fine whilston holiday.

Plus they unlike some wont winge and whine as they will quickly realize why Thailand is dry and in mourning.