About 4,700 New Year Drink-drivers Put On Probation

george

About 4,700 New Year drink-drivers put on probation

BANGKOK: -- Courts put around 4,700 drink-drivers charged during the New Year festival on probation.

Wanchai Roujanavong, director-general of the Department of Probation, said 4,751 drivers were charged over the holiday period - 3,445 in the provinces and 1,306 in Bangkok. The number is an increase of 40 per cent on last year.

Wanchai said the number was increasing because more efficient breathalysers were helping police to detect drink-drivers. He predicted that the statistic would decrease in the near-future as fewer people would take the risk of driving under the influence of alcohol.

People on probation would be sent to do social services relating to road transportation such as training in traffic rules and accident rescues, he said.

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

And how much does it cost to get out of this one? I tend to be cynical, but I worry that this might just become a better way for the police to make money.

Just refuse the test. There is no law in place that you have to take the test. You will be fined Baht 1800 for refusing. But if you know that you crossed the limit you are better of paying the fine for refusing to take the test. Cause when you do the test and found guilty of being over the legal limit you will spent the next 4 hours at the police station if not the whole night. A Baht 20000 bail. Next day to court, Baht 4000 Fine and 20 hours community services. Reporting every 3 months at the probation office. Well, it did happen to me, and I opt for refusal the next time they stop me. (should I have drank alcohol, however after going through all of the above I tend not to drive after a few beers)